Chico & Rita - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chico & Rita Reviews

October 8, 2016
I'm happy an animated film like this exists; I just wish it was better.
September 20, 2016
Offers nothing new, but quite good animation
½ August 8, 2016
Who said animated movies had to be childish? This is a prime example that animation can get on board of sensual and mature themes. Although repetitive at times, it still tried to incorporate relationship struggles, jazzy vibes and a colorful palette into a very adult and worthy of your time end result.
½ July 28, 2016
An excellent animation that captures the Cuban mood brilliantly, having spent several weeks on the island I can attest to this. It's also a fine romantic story.
March 2, 2016
Refreshing and charming.
February 15, 2016
the great surprise with this Spanish grown-up animation
November 7, 2015
This rating is just for the fabulous sketches and drawings in the animation. The pathetic plot/ story gets a zero for being so boring.
½ September 7, 2015
Finally got to watch Fernando Trueba's Chico & Rita--been on my wish-list from time--and the most I can say about it, is that the animation (colours and technique) is excellent, along with the fabulous music played from that era (late 40s through to the 50s). Other than these two saving graces, the story-line is not only flat and disappointing - but we are also served a rather stereotypical, sexist and hyper-sexualised nonsense on the lives of two Afro-Cuban musical artists, who make ridiculous relationship decisions to boot. The plot could have done with some deeper characterisation, thus, giving us complex motives for the many implausible actions. It could also have done with some "woman's sense", which was very absent from this visibly "masculinist" view of female "love" choices. And for real depth, the everyday fluff of Chico and Rita's lives could have done with more intertwining with the radical macro-level events, and consequences, in Habana and New York at that time. But maybe that's asking for far too much from this obvious cinematic titillation.
½ August 1, 2015
The animation, music and look back to the history in Cuba is very nice but the story is quite old and told in better ways in many other movies.
½ July 3, 2015
Me gustó la historia, animación y selección de música. Pero los diálogos y voz de la cantante dejaron mucho que desear.
½ December 5, 2014
Sensual and beautiful, definitely not to be missed
November 25, 2014
Artsy, and I appreciate an animated film for adults, but this is an awful love story. Chico's an ass, yet Rita pines for him. Chico tries to get her back...except he doesn't really try that hard. Good thing Rita just wants him so bad!
½ November 22, 2014
The film has plenty of heart and charm but it's the quality of the music that really draws you in. Maybe wraps up a tad too quickly, would of preferred a slightly smoother transition from past to present.
½ September 7, 2014
Sweetly romantic plus great music & animation.
July 10, 2014
I have to give the film credit for depicting a story not usually seen in animation, but I just wasn't able to connect with either of the characters, and the setting of 40's jazz world didn't engage me either.
March 21, 2014
La historia de amor como tal, puede que esté churro. Pero oh GOD qué animación y que música.
March 1, 2014
Chico & Rita is an incredibly charming animation. The love story is incredbily sweet, however it is more rewarding because of the tougher moments. There are a number of non-English language films that are realising just how effective animation can be to tell a 'mature' story (other examples include Waltz With Bashir and Persepolis). Long may that continue.
December 29, 2013
Great music bad film,

Totally missed opportunity - very slow moving, doggedly realistic animation with simple, mostly static camera angles. The overall effect is like a made for t.v movie. The large painted lips don't really fit the faces and are strangely reminiscent of "Clutch Cargo"
the only section of the film where the animation loosens up is the arrival in New York, where the animation is jarringly different in style from the rest of the film. If you want good cuban music try the Buena Vista Social Club
½ December 20, 2013
I didnt like the form of the animation and its littlebit boring movie with no plot expect of basic love story with Cuban music
November 27, 2013
Chico & Rita is a vibrant and beautiful story about love, fame, and music. While it encompasses familiar themes and ideas, it presents them in ways that make them feel fresh again. However, this is not an animated film for everyone since it has a number of mature themes and sequences (Sexuality, nudity, language, drug use, and some violence), which makes it an animated film for open-minded viewers who don't mind animated films that venture into adult themes. This is not for viewers who think animated films are only for children because they will only flatly dismiss it and ignore what is has to offer. If you're open-minded about animated films and their possibilities, Chico & Rita is a superb drama that gives the viewer a lot in a short 94 minute period. There's an engrossing story, great acting, an awesome jazz soundtrack, stunning animation, and interesting themes neatly sprinkled throughout. It's a shame so many people are close-minded about animated films, because this one (Along with many others) should get more recognition as the great films they truly are.