Cidade de Deus (City of God) Reviews

• 1d ago

My opinion is a latin review. As a latino citizen I can expose that Cidade de Deus is the movie of the daily reality in a country where the lower class is marginalized. On the other hand Mantovani's script have an incredible narrative power that I consider radical in the development of the film

• 3d ago

A powerful film. A great show of rise to power and down falls. All seen through the eyes of the photographer.

• May 22, 2019

I mean... come on...

I mean... come on...

• Apr 16, 2019

This is a critically acclaimed film that is really only, just alright when you think about it. The cinematography was nice, the main character was good, the script was clean, and the story doesn't have many dull moments. Although, the subject matter is a little too dark to appreciate, it has a very poorly constructed narrative, and a severe lack of directing cohesion. So basically, its just a mediocre foreign film that has failed to gain status as a classic.

• Apr 04, 2019

Best movie I have seen in a long time

Best movie I have seen in a long time

• Apr 02, 2019

The movie City of God, based on real events, is an excellent film that helps us see and understand better what happens inside the favelas. The film touches extremely hard subjects such as rape, murder, and many other things, even though it touches very delicate and strong themes managed to combine very well with comedy. The film is given thanks to a young man who does not share anything of what happens in the favela and seeks to get ahead as a photographer. In his career as a photographer manages to tell the story of the City of God for the first time, since nobody knows what happens inside because everyone is afraid to enter there, tells the story of Zï¿ 1/2 (C) Pequeno who is a boy who was exposed from a young age a lot of violence so it becomes that. This movie touched me a lot and I highly recommend it

• Sep 19, 2018

Superb editing, and Fernando Meirelles splashy direction made this movie visually stunning, and this was necessary. Because without being so, City of God wouldn't have been the easiest hard-to-watch movie to be watched! I know that sounds weird, but I'm not kidding this movie is so disturbing and shocking, but its vibrant visual style made it impossible to look away from. Like the visuals and colors, the soundtrack is so vivid and dynamic to mirror the vicious cycle of violence in the eponymous city, and the slums of Rio de Janiero. That being said, City of God's exhilarating visuals and soundtrack aren't the only, nor even the main two reasons that made it unbelievably engrossing. As what really dazzled me the most this masterpiece is its narrative control. Considering the fact that this movie has this abundance of characters, which all of them are almost equally important, and a non-linear storytelling, it's beyond belief that I haven't felt lost even for a moment. Instead, I found myself caring for each of the main characters for equal measure. Every time our protagonist, Rocket mentions one of the new important characters while narrating the story, I start getting worried a bit because I think this would harm the narrative thread of the story, and make it lose its balance a bit. But every time I ended up being totally wrong till I eventually said to myself: "More characters, please!" By the way, the use of voice-over narration in this movie is exceptional! Every single character is as grounded as its compelling and throughly interesting. And they are brought to life by some of the most authentic, honest, and uncompromising performances I've ever seen in film. All the non-pros actors delivered downright terrific performances that I really can't single hand one of them. The only issue I've with City of God is its first fast-paced 20 minutes. Putting aside the magnificent opening scene, everything in the rest of the first fifty to twenty minutes happens very quickly that kept me from being engaged from the start. Powerful, visceral, uncompromising, yet honest, Cidade de Deus is a Latin masterpiece, and easily one of the this century's best movies, so far. I really regret not seeing it till recently, it's a MUST-SEE! (9/10)

• Jul 27, 2018

possibly the best film of all time

possibly the best film of all time

• Jun 25, 2018

Impecable y conmovedora , una historia mas de guerra y violencia entre clases bajas, que aumenta la tensión desarrollando de manera cronologica la vida de varios personajes y como cada uno influye en una historia principal, sin duda un gran film que te deja con muchas cosas que pensar.

• Jun 03, 2018