Clouds of Sils Maria Reviews

• Jul 26, 2019

unrequited love with ghosts.

unrequited love with ghosts.

• Apr 28, 2019

This is an exceptional movie

This is an exceptional movie

• Dec 29, 2018

A delicately crafted melodrama with a somewhat mediocre underbelly. Worth a watch based solely on Binoche and Stewart's performances (and the exquisite cinematography). There are layers of meaning to unravel here if you have the patience. Otherwise it's just a couple of gals bitching over a script for two hours.

• Oct 21, 2018

This was a fantastic movie!

This was a fantastic movie!

• Sep 28, 2018

This is the worst movie I have ever seen. Why was Kristen Stewart in this? Nothing made sense. I will always be so confused by this movie for the rest of my life.

• Sep 03, 2018

This was such an amazing movie! Kristen Stewart was great in this movie. I really love the powerful chemistry between Maria and Valentine. Sometimes I couldn't even tell when they were acting like they were acting. Rating: 9/10

• Aug 30, 2018

Watch this if: You love slow, winding, super-meta narratives that cast a spell you don't want to break. Kristen Stewart and Juliette Binoche are cooler than cool in director Olivier Assayas' Clouds of Sils Maria. The pair gave some of their finest performances; the role even won Stewart the Cesar Award. The movie transported us to the Swiss Mountains, where we became mesmerized by the dynamic between an esteemed actress and her mysterious assistant. At times we weren't really sure what was going on, but we can't say it didn't work. This is art about art at its finest and most unsettling. It felt like we were witnessing a surreal, beautifully staged, two-woman show.

• Aug 15, 2018

more frizzier than clear.. Clouds Of Sils Maria 3 And A Half Out Of 5 Clouds Of Sils Maria is a character driven dramatic feature that takes place within a short span where an actress is preparing for a character and goes through emotional trauma that may be a bit gothic but is poetic too. The premise itself guides the sense of urgency that is wisely kept alive throughout the course of it where the ticking clock behind the screen might not create the anticipated impact but certainly makes the experience electrifying. Addition to that, it also depicts one of the most unexplored relationship (the actress and her assistant) which gives it a jump start on fresh material and perspective. Assayas' world in here is free from any habitual or satirical restraints; similar to its locations, which in fact is its strength and weakness on its own terms. The writing is adaptive and gripping if not anything out of the box, especially the cards it holds up the sleeve until the last act hits on screen. It is rich on technical aspects like metaphorical cinematography and fine editing whilst is short on background score. The camera work is up close and handled manually which works its way on helping to connect with the characters and stunning visuals and live locations that demands attention. Pragmatic conversation, intriguing concept and poetic tone are the high points of this feature. Binoche is poised, vulnerable and achingly good on her portrayal whilst Stewart is confident and a rigid supporter of hers in each frame. Assayas; the writer-director, may not be in his A game but is surely convincing on his execution and sharp script that cuts deepest in here. Clouds Of Sils Maria is more frizzier than clear due to the amount of time and characters that it consumes to set in a greater scene.

• Jun 07, 2018

Certainly the film is meta and a rendition of the "reality blending with fiction" idea, but the chemistry between Stewart and Binoche's characters is what guides the film to being truly captivating.

• Apr 03, 2018

As soon as Maria (Juliette Bincohe) is notified that one of her closest friends, who happens to be a playwright had passed away. She's then trying to make attempts to find reasons to star in his final play with her personal assistant, Valentine (Kirsten Stewart).