Cloverfield - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloverfield Reviews

½ September 10, 2017
Wow. I'm so glad I never bothered to see this in the theaters. I'm so sick of movies being made from the video camera POV. The jerky movements are so distracting and annoying. I know it's a movie and you have to suspend reality for entertainment's sake, but this movie was just over the top. Beth would not have survived rebar through her chest, only to be able to move and run so easily after, never experiencing blood loss. And how convenient that all the major characters die except the star-crossed lovers, with him sacrificing his (and his friends' lives) in order to save her. I don't hate movies easily, but I hated this one.
½ September 6, 2017
It gave TJ Miller a start in the industry (Good) POV filming (Very Bad)
I just can't be bothered watching movies filmed like this.
August 19, 2017
I liked it, it's fun
August 17, 2017
At the time, this was a unique and very interesting take on the monster genre. By giving only brief or partial glimpses of the 'Cloverfield' monster for the majority of the film and combining it with the found-footage gimmick (this was before it had been overused to oblivion), Matt Reeves manages to create a real sense of dread whilst simultaneously allowing you to vicariously live through the terrifying situation of not really knowing what's going on. The characters themselves are well written and seem like genuine people which really helps to sell the fear they're experiencing as well as making it easy to put yourself in their shoes.
August 15, 2017
The most interesting thing here is the mysterious origins under the movie, the great marketing and the horror sensation that the film leaves when it ends. The camera-style work can be fastidious for someone. One of the most strange J.J. Abraham work's yet.
½ August 14, 2017
Made by the same people that made Blair Witch Project everything you see comes from a held hand camera. My partner and I looked at each other then we went to the Manager of the Theater and demanded 2 free passes. And he knew the movie was that bad so we were happy. But I do not recommend this movie to any sane person that's why they say if you suffer from Vertigo or suffer spasms and other symptoms DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!
do not see this movie.
½ August 6, 2017
This movie was very disappointing, to say the least. I was expecting so much more after seeing the first movie "10 Cloverfield Lane". The movie wasn't engaging, rather poor production, and I really dislike movies that are filmed in a POV perspective. I was irritated from beginning to the end. Would not recommend. Three thumbs DOWN!
August 6, 2017
Horrible movie don't waste your money very disappointing
½ August 3, 2017
Simply breath-taking and horrifying, Cloverfield manages to scare the living daylights out of it's viewers through it's almost hyper-realistic cinematography and unpredictable storyline.

And while yes, the fact that these people carry this one video camera through the entire film can be a bit far-fetched, and the jiggling hand-shot camera angles can be a bit distracting, the pure amount of emotion and terror presented in the film is something that it's audience won't soon forget.
½ July 27, 2017
Cool premise, but not enough is explained or shown about the monsters to keep my interest.
July 25, 2017
Very good film I can tell you that. Cloverfield is such a good film with good characters and a good story too plus its directed by Matt reeves so of course is good. Well done Matt you made a good and awesome monster flick awesome job.
½ July 15, 2017
JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves are absolute geniuses in this Cloverfield series kickoff
½ July 5, 2017
It doesn't affect the overall film, but this had one of the best trailers in history. The love story falls a bit flat and the characters aren't three-dimensional enough to be a highlight. However, Cloverfield does exceed as a monster movie. We see more and more of the monster as the film progresses, building tension and suspense. The shaky camera can make some nauseas, but adds a sense of realism to the events. The ending is rather cheesy and the first act drags, but everything in between is pulse pounding.
July 1, 2017
Is a disaster monster family movie all the time in 2008 from cloverfield film series distributed by paramount pictures and bad robot productios
June 27, 2017
I loved how intense this movie was never forget this movie when I saw it
June 26, 2017
Intriguing story, scary, fine performance and one film I probably won't forget.
½ June 25, 2017
It may not use its found footage style to full effect, but Cloverfield is undeniable proof that PG-13 horror is an underrated genre. The performances are all above average, and the monsters are absolutely terrifying. The film as a whole is amazing, and the ending couldn't have been better.
June 20, 2017
A very underrated movie, Cloverfield is fast paced, action packed, and suspenseful, even though sometimes the plot is a little jumbled up and confusing.
½ May 31, 2017
Cloverfield wants to be more profound and genre-defining that it is...but I've never been a fan of found footage films so maybe I'm just not the target audience.
May 22, 2017
'Cloverfield' is one of the better kaiju-inspired monster flicks around. The characters are (mostly) likeable though like virtually every found footage horror film it's hard to really get invested in them. For those we see die, their deaths ultimately don't strike me as very meaningful because of the limitations of found footage storytelling. Despite that 'Cloverfield' provides plenty of exciting action sequences.