Cloverfield - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloverfield Reviews

½ April 9, 2017
A terrifying different take on a monster movie, Cloverfield is a non-stop thriller and one of be better "found footage" movies. All the creature designs were very original and terrifying, and look pretty good for a film of this nature. My only large complaint with the film was T.J. Miller's comic relief, while it was welcome at moments so the film isn't entirely depressing, for some instances was highly inappropriate. Other than that it's a fine film with great performances and drama that many horror/thriller movies do not have.
March 30, 2017
I normally hate found footage, it gives me a headache. I think it is a cheap gimmick that is used to make crappy, low budget movies. However, when used right, found footage can add a feeling of realism to a film. I found this to be the case in Cloverfield. This film took an idea that has been done countless times, and turned it into a new, different kind of science-fiction thriller. And as much as I hate to admit it, that was due to the exceptional found footage camera work. Cloverfield is a fun different film that I would definitely recommend!
March 20, 2017
This is currently the film to see, & definitely packs an all-too-real punch.
Shot through a video camera which starts off taping testimonials at a friends leaving party the night before he moves to Japan, the sudden attack on New York & subsequent bombardment of debris & Liberty's decapitated head, evokes stark contrasts with 9/11 in a far more effective way than what has gone before in recent years (i.e. 'War Of The Worlds'), adding another layer of chaos, confusion & fear.
However, the film does have it's problems. Halfway through the proceedings the narrative takes on a more obviously planned & scripted tone (diverting away from it's original 'cinema verite' intentions) when four of the party survivors set out on a rescue mission to find an ex-girlfriend who may or may not be alive. The lead characters' blind, senseless & misguided heroism is matched only by their annoying & ignorant personalities. 'Hero' Rob appears more concerned over his mobile phone's battery running out rather than the death of his brother, & Hud's (the guy holding the camera) endless stupidity is continually apparent from his inept dialogue & lack of ability to so much as hold a camera (particularly at the party, long before the turmoil even begins).
Despite these problems, the 'mission' or journey is worth the effort if only to witness some spectacular set-pieces, such as the army's all-out blitz on the monster just before you enter the subway, & the first clear enough shots of the before-mentioned leviathan from atop an about-to-collapse apartment block & through a helicopter window.
Had the characters not been so shallow & tiresome (as is always the case in movies such as these), & their 'rescue mission' not so contrived, the film would be far more formidable in it's execution. But it's definitely worth watching if only for the set pieces & tension that builds around the films development before you see the beast (harking back to such 'monster' classics such as 'Jaws' & 'Alien').
½ March 13, 2017
Il s'agit d'un film "à la première personne" dans le sens où on voit le récit à travers la camera que porte un personage tout au long du film. On est ici dans le "style" Cannibal Holocaust, The Blair Witch Project ou Quarantine. Cloverfield est cependant techniquement mieux achevé que plusieurs "lost footage movies". Si le très "gore" Cannibal Holocaust reste ancré dans le monde réél ou que le Blair Witch joue sur les limites de l"étrangeté, ici, avec Cloverfield, on est dans un monde fantastico-réaliste. Pour les habitués du genre, vous y trouverez votre compte; pour ceux qui voudraient essayer ce genre particulier de films, peut-être faudrait-il commencer par le classique Blair Witch ou encore par le premier Paranormal Activity.
Dans le genre : 8/10
Dans le monde-cinema : 6.5/10
½ March 10, 2017
solid monster movie told from the view of ordinary people. If found footage is your pet peeve then this movie will bother you until no end. Personally the found footage was an interesting take on the story and I really enjoyed watching it.
½ March 4, 2017
With just enough gut-wrenching suspense to anchor the extensive spectacle of a giant monster smashing everything in sight, Cloverfield puts a clever spin on monster movie tropes with a refreshing found-footage perspective, a brisk pace and affecting performances from a terrific cast.
March 3, 2017
The characters make me want to bash my head against a wall.
March 2, 2017
Horrible just horrible
February 26, 2017
4 out of 5 stars! I finally got around to seeing this and all I can say is WOW! A movie hasn't kept me that on the edge of my seat and made me feel real fear in a long time. Maybe it was partially due to the found footage style that made it feel real and like you were in the mix. The lack of a happy ending made me realize why almost every other film ever made has a happy ending. It's necessary! I felt terrible at the end and was left with my jaw wide open in disbelief. That was a RIDE! A terrifying and heart stopping one.
½ February 24, 2017
While the cast is exceptional and the found footage aspect is actually pretty interesting. The end sucks some fun out for me, but all in all still a good movie.
February 15, 2017
Abrupt ending aside, Cloverfield is engaging from start to finish and leaves much potential for a sequel.
February 5, 2017
The story is thrilling and the visual effects are great.
½ January 29, 2017
Well done performances by the ensemble and a good script highlight the monster movie Cloverfield, which remains fun despite the over-reliance on use of shaky-cam and noticeably bad CGI in some scenes.
January 28, 2017
Glad i finally got around to watching this. Big fan of T.J. Miller and he was great.
January 18, 2017
want to c this movie
January 15, 2017
What an awesome movie!! Loved it ??
½ January 13, 2017
I enjoyed this movie a lot. It is fun and exciting with some good comic relief. The special effects were good and the suspense was palpable. I don't love the way it was filmed, but it did give it a different, kind of interesting feel to it. I'd recommend it.
January 11, 2017
Nota: 8.3/10 - 3.9/5
½ January 3, 2017
Blair witch meets Godzilla , a little on the horror, and little on the sci-fi side . Cloverfield delivers the movie it advertises. I liked how this movie was about the ones who lived the event and the viewer really feels a part of the story. This is probably how I would have lived these sorts of events being in there with the main caracters.
January 2, 2017
Really disappointing movie. Unsteady filming & constant shrieking all the way through. No idea how this movie got a reasonably good rating.