Cloverfield - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloverfield Reviews

½ January 8, 2018
Loved every second of it. Mind you, seeing it on a big screen might have been a bit woozy, I might agree there, but seeing it on my Iphone was GREAT. Really a lot of fun.
**EDIT** Saw this a second time, enjoyed it as much as the first. Cloverfield is a great movie that you can go to and watch little bits of your favorite scenes and never get tired of it. (well, ok, maybe I wont revisit the subway scenes, yuck). One of my favorite films, ever.
½ January 8, 2018
January 5, 2018
Goosebumps everytime I watch this masterpiece
½ January 3, 2018
Shrouded in as much mystery as it is makes this movie great. If it was a standalone piece it would've been awful.
December 19, 2017
An excellent smart start to a smart franchise, even if it's a bit rushed.
December 16, 2017
Overrated, derivative and further proof that JJ Abrahams is a charlatan.
½ November 30, 2017
Best monster movie. The mystery of the movie expands more the monster than the characters.
November 17, 2017
Very good film I can tell you that. Cloverfield is such a good film with good characters and a good story too plus its directed by Matt reeves so of course is good. Well done Matt you made a good and awesome monster flick awesome job.
October 30, 2017
This is a very unique film and the camera perspective caught me off guard but it works really well to build the tension and get you closer to the action.
October 29, 2017
A well made movie with thrilling moments and well around characters.
½ October 29, 2017
A group of friends venture deep into the streets of New York on a rescue mission during a rampaging Godzilla-like monster attack. With the found footage format, it manages to create and atmosphere of pure terror, fear and claustrophobia. Although the beginning was a bit dull and boring, it deceives the audience and the destruction that follows is hard to forget after a while. Great visual effects!
½ October 10, 2017
Perspective from the street-level as a towering, rampaging monster plows straight through the heart of Manhattan. At the time this was released, we were roughly a decade past The Blair Witch Project, long enough for the found footage trope to have thoroughly played itself out. Yet in many ways this feels like a revelation, one which would collapse without that same central gimmick. Like bystander footage from a major disaster, the placement of the camera makes the chaos and mayhem of this sudden, citywide catastrophe feel completely vivid and tangible. It's like we're there with the victims; our pulse racing, our eyes widened by the dead and injured, our skin coated by the dust of so much collapsed concrete. Moments that would've certainly felt cheesy from a traditional POV, high above the action, now deliver beyond any reasonable expectation. We get to know the core characters well, their thoughts and quirks and feelings, and we mourn when they're abruptly taken from us in the confusion. It tells a desperate human story in a genre that usually struggles with such elements, and doesn't shy from the profound, lasting conclusion that everything seems to be building toward from the start. The plot does have holes, some larger than others, but given the frenetic pace and rapid developments, those are relatively easy to shake off and leave behind. I was surprised by how Cloverfield moved me today, nine years after the fact. Surely one of the most memorable, ambitious, effective films of the decade.
September 30, 2017
Such an enjoyable film, great action and cgi done perfectly. The ending I didn't like but I understood it
½ September 10, 2017
Wow. I'm so glad I never bothered to see this in the theaters. I'm so sick of movies being made from the video camera POV. The jerky movements are so distracting and annoying. I know it's a movie and you have to suspend reality for entertainment's sake, but this movie was just over the top. Beth would not have survived rebar through her chest, only to be able to move and run so easily after, never experiencing blood loss. And how convenient that all the major characters die except the star-crossed lovers, with him sacrificing his (and his friends' lives) in order to save her. I don't hate movies easily, but I hated this one.
½ September 6, 2017
It gave TJ Miller a start in the industry (Good) POV filming (Very Bad)
I just can't be bothered watching movies filmed like this.
August 19, 2017
I liked it, it's fun
August 17, 2017
At the time, this was a unique and very interesting take on the monster genre. By giving only brief or partial glimpses of the 'Cloverfield' monster for the majority of the film and combining it with the found-footage gimmick (this was before it had been overused to oblivion), Matt Reeves manages to create a real sense of dread whilst simultaneously allowing you to vicariously live through the terrifying situation of not really knowing what's going on. The characters themselves are well written and seem like genuine people which really helps to sell the fear they're experiencing as well as making it easy to put yourself in their shoes.
August 15, 2017
The most interesting thing here is the mysterious origins under the movie, the great marketing and the horror sensation that the film leaves when it ends. The camera-style work can be fastidious for someone. One of the most strange J.J. Abraham work's yet.
½ August 14, 2017
Made by the same people that made Blair Witch Project everything you see comes from a held hand camera. My partner and I looked at each other then we went to the Manager of the Theater and demanded 2 free passes. And he knew the movie was that bad so we were happy. But I do not recommend this movie to any sane person that's why they say if you suffer from Vertigo or suffer spasms and other symptoms DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!
do not see this movie.
½ August 6, 2017
This movie was very disappointing, to say the least. I was expecting so much more after seeing the first movie "10 Cloverfield Lane". The movie wasn't engaging, rather poor production, and I really dislike movies that are filmed in a POV perspective. I was irritated from beginning to the end. Would not recommend. Three thumbs DOWN!