Coherence Reviews

• 4d ago

Great movie for a low buget, Good acting in my opinion, The camera was a little too shaky for my taste. The story is really good, it could be a theatre play and be just as effective. It reminded me of The invitation a little. If you enjoyed that one, or if you want to watch casual drama escalate while crazy things happen, you will like this one.

• Sep 11, 2019

Not the worst movie I've ever seen but im not a fan of the camera shooting style a lot of shaking and blurry scenes also they tend to talk over each other alot acting is just ok but it's a cool 1 time watch primer is much better and their science is actually right in primer

• Aug 31, 2019

Enjoyable the more the story unfolds

Enjoyable the more the story unfolds

• Aug 09, 2019

This nifty and ghoulish mind bender draws its inspiration from the thought experiment Schrödinger's cat and quantum decoherence to challenge its curious and dauntless viewers to solve an elaborately teasing puzzle about alternative universes.

• Jul 08, 2019

Twisty, complex sci-fi drama that spawns deep thoughts about the limits of reality

• Jun 26, 2019

Great script. Keeps you constantly thinking. Slow build in the beginning but once it gets going your mind will spin.

• Jun 25, 2019

Just pay attention and then don't worry about sorting it out. Total mind bender.

• Jun 18, 2019

It was mind-blowing , really good

It was mind-blowing , really good

• May 16, 2019

Coherence is almost an experiment as much as it is a film. I suspected something was going on in the first scene, because a lot of the dialogue felt odd, as if it was being improvised. When they hit a big scene where the plot gets going, that’s when I realized it was almost entirely improv. There’s a clunky and unnatural pace to improv that makes it stand out from scripted dialogue, even though it is intended to more closely emulate the way real people communicate. Even if people do talk like this, a century of scripted films has programmed me to expect a certain style of phrasing and a cadence to those phrases and when you break from that, it shows. The cast does a decent job rolling with the punches and working through the plot. I like that you can feel them discovering what is happening at the same time that we do. It almost feels like we’re watching people in an escape room. Of course, since the film lacks a traditional structure to the script, there are a lot of times when people talk over each other and it becomes hard to follow the conversation. As a result, it can be difficult to decide whether issues I have with the film are because of the actors or the “writer” who decides where they need to take any given scene. It is a fascinating idea for a film, and a cool new twist on a contained story in a single setting. I like what they tried to do with Coherence, and if nothing else, it got me thinking. I was actively engaged with the story, and could not wait to see how they would resolve it. But I did have issues aside from how bad some of the improvised dialogue sounded. The first is related to how ham-fisted it felt whenever a new revelation needed to be injected into the plot. For example, the absent “brother” who is mentioned a few times, was a completely awkward and stupid way of suddenly giving these characters knowledge of quantum physics. All they needed was one character that was a quantum physicist, who had a few scripted lines memorized to inject the proper exposition, and it all would have clicked. My other complaint has to do with how late in the film the box is filled. This creates a huge problem with the plot that took me totally out of the story. All they needed to do was edit that scene earlier into the movie, and it would have made sense, but this late it broke the logic of the film completely. I know it sounds like I’m very critical of Coherence, but I think that’s just because I see a great deal of potential in this idea, and I think it could have been made into a marvelous film. I respect the writer/director for trying such a bold experiment and coming close to a homerun.

• May 03, 2019

Suspenseful and cleaver Coherence manges to entertain while leaving the audience quessing at every turn. I woild classift this as a phycological thriller with a mild sci-fi twist. Defineitly worth a watch if you're into that stuff!