Cold in July Reviews

• Feb 18, 2021

What... was this? It ended with a major loose end untied with the unknown corpse still unidentified. And we find out there isn't even a close bond between the supposed father and son. So there really isn't any reason for this movie to happen in the first place!

• Feb 07, 2021

Decent and interesting, but also hit-and-miss. It's got a few good qualities, like some moments which are quite suspenseful, the film is good enough at wrapping up tension. I also liked the late 1980s, Southern setting. This is like a film-noir, crime pic, but with rednecks. The atmosphere is good. It's got a great soundtrack, and a great cast. Michael C. Hall, Don Johnson and Sam Shepard constitute a strong male trio. But unfortunately, it's like the movie changes tones a lot. While some moments are quite good and quite gripping, others just feel empty and shallow. Cold in July is an uneven movie. But overall, it was still an interesting and completely watchable crime movie. While I think that it could've used some extra elements and substance, I recommend it to genre fans, so they can make up an opinion of there own on this film!!

• Dec 26, 2020

You know when you start to watch a movie and have no idea what it is about, and then you love it. That is this movie for me. Don Johnson is really funny and lovable in a tense movie.

• Nov 05, 2020

This is a film I really enjoyed.  It's a crime thriller that takes a turn halfway through into an unexpected direction.
Michael C Hall plays a man whose actions defending his home from an intruder haunt him.  When he starts asking questions the answers he finds are unexpected.
This film has some plot holes, but it is intense and riveting which I love.
Great roles for Sam Shepard and Don Johnson as well.

This film has some plot holes, but it is intense and riveting which I love.
Great roles for Sam Shepard and Don Johnson as well.

• Jun 29, 2020

This is an excellent movie with twists and turns and a great cast.

This is an excellent movie with twists and turns and a great cast.

• Oct 30, 2019

This was a great dark thriller, acting was on point and a great twist. It's what a thriller should be, violent, entertaining, well acted & unpredictable. I had no expectations going into this film & was impressed. I'm surprised that the audience score is not much higher, seems like everyone must have been expecting a Cohen Brothers type deal or something, it's not that, but it's good entertaining flick.

• Oct 24, 2019

"Cold in July" is yet another Texas noir genre fick, slightly evocative of the Coen Brothers' "Blood Simple," but unlike that great classic, it takes itself too seriously and winds up with the requisite Jim Mackie gore fest. The film is set in 1980's. Richard Dane (Michael C. Hall), a middle class family man who owns a picture framing shop, is awakened by his wife (Vinessa Shaw) late one night because she hears an intruder in the house. Nervously pulling his father's old gun from a closet, he confronts the intruder and shoots him. The cops exonerate him because he was defending his family. But he is not exonerated by a man named Russell (Sam Shepard), the father of the intruder, who threatens Dane, stalks his kid, and breaks into his house. That's enough of a setup for a typical thriller, but the film takes a major left turn when Dane discovers that the man he shot was not Russell's son. He and Russell pair up with an aging cowboy detective (Don Johnson), and the three go on a quest for justice. I won't get into spoilers; let's just say that nothing is as it originally seems, and things get much nastier. This is by no means a great film. It descends into cliche repeatedly, and the finale is insanely violent, typical of director Jim Mackie's work. But allow me to praise Don Johnson. Honestly, I only know him as the pastel suit-wearing young cop in "Miami Vice" back in the 80's. When this film was made in 2014 , Johnson was 65, and what a surprise: He's great!. He's grizzled and stoic. He wears a cowboy hat, and he drives a red Cadillac with bull horns on the grill. He owns a hog farm and cooks bacon for breakfast. He pulls off his role with aplomb. He is the single best reason to to watch this film. Hall and Shepard are also impressive, but Johnson is the payoff in this film, without question. If you're a Mackie fan because you love blood and gore, enjoy the climax, you sicko. If you're an aficionado of great acting, enjoy Don Johnson.

• Jul 22, 2019

It wasn't as good as the ratings led me to believe, but it still an entertaining thriller. The best part about it is that it's sooo different from the tag line/blurb. They intentionally go out of their way to mislead you, which is awesome. I love knowing nothing about a movie before watching it. The plot is good. The acting is good. I just wish it was more suspenseful and exciting besides just the climax. But overall it's still a serviceable 3* thriller that I would rec to people.

• May 30, 2019

I actually agree 100% with the Critics consensus!!

I actually agree 100% with the Critics consensus!!

• May 27, 2019

Like a made for TV thriller from the 80s (which hit my nostalgia buttons), but covering themes that would never have been talked back then. Ultimately though, a bit underwhelming.