Cold Souls Reviews

• Aug 14, 2018

Great movie, but I think it deserves more credit. I noticed an error, however: they say Olga's soul must have "dried up" after they take Giamatti's back from her, but her old soul would've left her body when she acquired Giamatti's. Remember, in this movie they can only swap souls and extract them. Bravo on them making the whole soul-swapping thing seem "sciencey", also.

• Mar 17, 2018

Uneven film only comes alive in the scenes with Giamatti and Strathairn.

Uneven film only comes alive in the scenes with Giamatti and Strathairn.

• Feb 14, 2018

Very reminiscent of a Charlie Kaufman film but scarcely pulling it off with it's vaguely interesting ideas and plot never really taking off.

• Jan 26, 2017

This is one of my all time favs.

This is one of my all time favs.

• Jan 17, 2017

Natalia Zvereva does a wonderful job conveying all of the various emotions her character is 'put through'. It is almost as though you can here the 'words between the lines'. Although billed as a comedy drama it has elements of a poignant love story. The final scene speaks a thousand words. Paul and David's performance were okay, too. :)

• Nov 06, 2016

This used to be one of my favourite films but I re-watched it and immediately forgot about it. Maybe you have to watch it in a time and place when Paul Giammati looking into his own soul and crying is important to you. I still love to watch him on screen but I guess I'm not in that place anymore.

• Aug 20, 2016

OK, I love Paul Giamatti, so of course I had to watch it, and as per usual, his performance is top notch. The story is interesting, yet flawed, but I rarely laugh as much during a film as I did during Cold Souls. Because of this I can forgive the premise of souls being taken from the body as the extracted goes about relatively normal, albeit a bit "lighter," as Giamatti states. The soul, in most definitions, is the person himself / herself. It is one's personality, character, emotions, talents, gifts, etc. So if that is removed, well, according to most definitions, you end up with a sack of flesh. Overall I enjoyed the film considerably, even though the ending was somewhat wanting. Regardless, certainly worth the watch.

• Sep 27, 2015

The DVD cover used the word "hilariously twisted" by the NY Times. It's really a dark aimless story, not worth watching. Nothing in the movie to even smile about.

• Sep 26, 2015

A good movie The audience needs brains to appreciate such a good movie

A good movie The audience needs brains to appreciate such a good movie

• May 08, 2015

One might be inclined to think that Ms. Barthes' film is an imitation of Being John Malkovich, but this is mistaken comparison. COLD SOULS is a sleekly original study of identity, isolation, loneliness and value of the individual. A cynical and humorous cultural and societal commentary that uses the identity of an actor to siphon a number of ideas. While it is at times quite comical, this film is actually a quietly powerful work of cinematic art. As always, Paul Giamatti is exceptional.