Cold Weather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cold Weather Reviews

January 30, 2016
Excellent low budget / Indie Movie.
April 18, 2015
Good premise presented too slowly.
April 8, 2014
For an lauded SXSW Indie Film based in Portland well... even a bit too "Indy" for my tastes.
February 10, 2014
A sauntering love letter to Portland, Oregon. It's quite good.
September 13, 2013
Interesting fizzler that dies at the end. Well put-together, but drifts all over the place from midpoint on.
July 21, 2013
It's basically a whole hour-and-a-half of nothing, but that's the point.
June 26, 2013
How the hell did this movie get such a high score? It's a slice of life that goes no where! it was exactly what you'd expect form a pretentious hipster movie about nothing of substance. there's a lack of continuity and just plain leaves you wondering wtf just happened and what exactly is happening? lame and disappointing.
½ March 21, 2013
A mystery/action movie that is totally believable. Like, it could happen. Totally.
½ January 20, 2013
Pretty damn good for an independent film. Some of the shots were rather inventive. Decent plot, with a couple of great scenes.
January 15, 2013
Slowest, dullest, stupidest excuse for a mystery that I've ever seen. How anyone can find everyday dull conversation dragged out ad nauseous and people driving around in cars as interesting character development is beyond me. In a 1 hour 45 minute movie to spend 30 minutes before the plot even starts to develop characters who have no character is just stupid. The most boring movie I've I've ever seen.
December 23, 2012
Took a good while to get going and just when it was starting to evolve into a decent noir flick it ended
December 16, 2012
If you can make it through an extremely lackadaisical first half hour, it's worth the set up.
December 10, 2012
Komiskt litet mysterium spunnet i vardagens träta.
½ November 29, 2012
Wow, I was really impressed with this movie. Cold Weather is so charming that before you really realize there's going to be a plot, you're already pulled in and invested in the characters. I keep hearing this described as a mumblecore movie but I just don't believe it, it looks way too good. The acting was great too. Such an endearing film.
½ November 24, 2012
This was one of my first "mumblecore film" experiences and I think it would make a decent introduction for those unfamiliar with this trend in indie filmmaking. Those with a decent sense of humor and a nose for subtlety will find this movie hilarious. Relying on character development and a clever script before thickening the plot director Aaron Katz crafts a minimal and beautiful near-masterpiece. You've never seen a crime-drama-comedy like this one. His characters are earnest and likable yet realistic as they break from their too-normal lives to eventually live up to their full potential by attempting to solve an unraveling mystery. Like most in the genre this is a feel good movie. If you have a heart. If you don't have a heart I don't know what to tell you. I guess you'll be bored.
½ November 7, 2012
The biggest complaint I have is simply its sluggish first third.
½ October 28, 2012
Aaron Katz's mumblecore effort "Cold Weather" surprisingly isn't as unlikeable as other films of the subgenre are. The elements are all here - sophomoric acting, realistic dialogue and attention paid to characters rather than plot - but something about "Cold Weather" makes it a little bit more interesting than you would expect. I guess that the answer lies in Aaron Katz's charming, low-key direction. And even though the central mystery is never fully explained, "Cold Weather" is well-shot, well-edited and endearing, and the characters are relatively intriguing.
½ October 21, 2012
Shot on what had to be a shoe string budget and looks it "Cold Weather" is a different kind of modern noir crime thriller. It's not as good as "Brick" which is in a class all it's own but this cast of unknowns and unpolished look really gave it a unique feel. There are no big action beats that you'd get from a typical studio feature and most of the time is spent watching average people do average things but when a brief moment of suspense comes you feel that sense of urgency that the characters do. Not a movie I'd watch again and it's a tough one to recommend b/c of its pacing but it does deserve to be seen. I'm looking forward to this directors next outing.
October 6, 2012
Without having seen either of filmmaker Katz's previous directorial efforts as of this writing, Cold Weather makes it immediately obvious that at least at the point of his third feature, Katz is a director in absolute control of a vision. It's equally obvious, however -- and just as readily -- that his skill as a screenwriter (particularly of efficient and meaningful dialogue, admittedly a difficult skill to achieve) is an opaque yellow to his vision's solid gold. Cold Weather suffers from its script's lack of weight, though remains a very good example of film craft from a non-writer standpoint.
September 10, 2012
So laid back it almost seems merely like a slice of real life ... until a mysterious disappearance in Portland jars an ex- forensics student out of his self- induced doldrums and onto the case. The result is a heightened suspense factor in this clever slacker take on the film noir detective genre that's difference makes for a matter of taste.