Confessions (Kokuhaku) Reviews

• Oct 07, 2019

What a nice, sweet, and dark Japanese revenge story. Probably better than The Killing of a Sacred Deer as a psychological thriller, imo. My advice: do not read the synopsis and watch the trailer before you see the whole film — Let the film flows. Enjoy the storytelling at its darkest. My rating 8/10. https://boxd.it/PCpPD

• Feb 12, 2019

if only the rest of the world would stop breeding like in japan

if only the rest of the world would stop breeding like in japan

• Jan 09, 2019

A really good movie with some awesome twists and turns. Expressed as a series of confessions from the major players in the movie, the story is one of loss and revenge. The acting is wonderful, especially from the school kids. The plot is very entertaining and interesting, keeping your attention until the very very end. Also, the soundtrack/score really stood out as it matched the scenes perfectly and added another layer of emotion to what was being presented at the time. This movie isn't a horror, its a dark psychological thriller.

• Apr 09, 2018

This could've been much better. This movie came off as an overly stylized, overly produced, mess of good ideas and intentions. It was too long, it glorified almost every minute of itself, it presented itself as if the entire movie is one long final act. Unnecessary slow motion, a pretty extreme overindulgence in it for some reason. Lots of ill-fitting, grating music at odd moments just taking you out of the experience. All these instances of overindulgence developed a numbness in me. I was having an incredibly hard time paying attention to or connecting with what I was seeing on screen. When everything is melodramatic, heavily stylized, overproduced, and heightened, then everything just blends together. No single moment stands out on its own, there are no real emotional peaks. Things that perhaps should've been kept up the sleeve were all grandiosely overused since the very first minute. I'm not sure how this story works in its novel form originally, but in this movie it felt like an overly complex, unrealistic, and self-indulgent affair. It just tried to be way too smart than it really was. After I was done watching it, I just felt like I've seen a worse version of Oldboy. Especially after the almost masturbatory finale. The acting was particularly jarring. Felt almost cartoonish. I think that none of the characters gave a natural performance. They either over-acted the hell out of their scenes, or just straight up did an overall bad job. It was difficult to take what happened to these characters seriously. It actually reminded me of the way cliche characters act in animes. Just really edgy and overly dramatic. The visuals were at times nice, crisp and creative. The bad part about them is that none of them came together as a coherent and natural visual language. It just felt like I was watching someone create different, unrelated cool looking scenes. A montage of what the cinematographer was capable of. The music which I already mentioned was truly a sore point in this movie. It all started off with a somewhat subdued usage, but then grew and grew into a nasty companion that accompanied everything I saw in a very awkward and ill fitting way. It felt like a 14 year old scored this movie, picked out the songs for it. Besides that, the movie was incredibly over reliant on flashbacks. I've seen the same flashbacks so many times during this movie. It just didn't have any trust in me whatsoever with all the flashback usage. I can clearly see what the movie was going for. Trying to completely stun and overpower the viewer since the very beginning with its very aggressive style, but for me it did not click. At all. The only good things I was able to appreciate despite all these flaws were the edgy shock value plot points which were pretty entertaining. I'm pretty much disappointed.

• Mar 29, 2018

Darkly beautiful. Original and surprising. I don't have the words to describe it. It's just simply magnificient.

• Jul 29, 2017

Mind bending. Unexpected. Unpredictable. Visual.

Mind bending. Unexpected. Unpredictable. Visual.

• Jun 28, 2017

Went in with zero expectations and ended up absolutely blown away by this movie. It is so complex, so heartbreaking, and definitely not something you should watch unless you're ready for an emotional experience. The radiohead soundtrack was brilliant and fit the dismal tone the whole time. The actors and actresses were amazing and deserve awards for this movie. This movie actually made it into my list of all time favorites. I can't gush about it enough. Watch it, it is so worth it.

• May 01, 2017

"Kokuhaku" can be pretty awe-inspiring at times, what with its complex plot, abundant violence and beautiful visuals. Organizing the script in various people's confessions and going back and forth to retell the story isn't something that has never been done before, but the prowess of the material and the directorial style ensure it's done in a compelling manner. Personally I could have survived with a little less exposition and slow motion but "Kokuhaku" remains a powerful experience.

• Jan 26, 2017

never seen something so beautiful and fucked up at the same time...the movie does have flaws(pacing for example) but the good outweighs the flaws also i have a weakness for movies set in high school..its either a 7 or an 8 for me..

• Dec 05, 2016

Completing today's Nakashima double-bill and you couldn't get a more contrasting film. Could have done without all the slow-motion, if I'm being honest (film would have been half as long without it) but the soundtrack was amazing.