Connie and Carla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Connie and Carla Reviews

May 21, 2016
If you can get a copy of this movie with the scene when the two attempt to uncover and reveal their true gender, it's about as timely as it can get. Without that scene, this movie is missing its two front teeth! I've seen it both ways, don't ask me what channel or why it was censored.
Okay, so I'll describe to you the censored scene the way I saw it. Connie and Carla decide to come clean..."We're not really men masquerading as women, we are women masquerading as men masquerading as women!" Said they, to which a room full of drag queens replies, "B.S." and "Prove it!"

So, the two girls flash their breasts, and the drag queens flash theirs back, as if to say, "That proves nothing, we can buy those." So then they unzip their pants, and, off camera, obviously reveal their girl hhududus.

This causes a room full of disgusted drag queens, as funny a scene as I've seen shot, but they are then convinced. Of course, now, not even that could straighten out the business at hand. One could now also buy a hruddudu, so I don't know whether this movie is now prophetic, or a side track. Either way, it's a good buddy movie, with Broadway hits.
½ August 8, 2015
A fun gem with delightful performances from Nia Vardalos and Toni Collette. Amazing musical numbers and costumes, make up, and art direction. The dialogue could be soft at times but it's really too fun to ignore. David Duchovny is also good and a spectacular cameo from Debbie Reynolds.
October 9, 2014
Lots of Broadway music and dancing and colourful costumes - can be fun if you're in the right mood for it.
½ August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 3/23/2013)
½ July 27, 2014
A completely ridiculous set up, a story about 2 women forced to go on the run and pose as drag queens.... Women pretending to be men pretending to be women... Ridiculous no? Well yes it is, but its so much fun. What's even stranger is how much these women do end up looking like a pair of drag queens! Think a cross between Sister Act and Some Like It Hot and you have a good idea of what to expect. Its fun, its silly, its camp, its a good film for repeated viewings.
April 21, 2014
One of my favorites of all time. Has a wide variety of musical numbers. Comedic with some life lessons on acceptance.
½ March 17, 2014
"Connie and Carla" has its moments but it's mostly a forgettable comedy with a few moments of heart. The tone of the movie varies wildly and that means for every scene that is heartfelt and that works there is another that is just some goofy nonsense that falls flat. When the movie begins the titular characters are complete fools and genuine failures in the entertainment industry. On the run after witnessing a mob hit, the two women infiltrate the gay cross-dressing scene and that's where everything that works in the film is situated. While the situation inside the gay club doesn't do much except reinforce stereotypes, the characters are well drawn for what they are (you do have to expect drag queens to display a certain amount of flamboyancy and eccentricity after all) and the movie resists the obvious cheap jokes that could have been made at their expense. The musical and dance sequences are fun too, but other than that, the movie is filled with really obvious plot developments and some lame comedy. The villain of the film has a sidekick Tibor (Boris McGiver) who suddenly develops a love for musical theatre to the point of going to see every show in the U.S. just so it can be firmly set up from the beginning that our female duo is eventually going to be discovered and have to face the people they ran away from in the first place. David Duchovny serves as Jeff I introduced as a love interest for Connie (Nia Vardalos) and as a reason to introduce some additional drama in the story because he is meeting his brother for the first time in years, a brother that is a drag queen and that wants nothing to do with him. We get an obligatory scene where Jeff's thinly developed fiancÚ forces him to say some hurtful things to his brother just so we can have a moment of redemption at the end. Just like every single buddy comedy out there, we also have that moment where the two leads have a fight and have to rekindle that old flame of friendship so the plot can be padded out too.

Despite not actually being one to my knowledge, the movie just feels like a watered-down remake, without any bite or novelty to it whatsoever. While it's never offensive and is at times genuinely funny there's just nothing that really stands out. A moment worth noting is a very fun cameo by Debbie Reynolds, who still has plenty of musical talent to dispense but that comes towards the end of the picture. You won't be angry or bored while watching "Connie and Carla" but this is the type of movie you rent on a lazy day, not the kind that you rush out to see in the theatre or even buy on home video. (Dvd, April 22 2013)
December 31, 2013
Nia Vardalos & Toni Collette plays two best friend hiding in a trany cabaret to avoid being killed by the mob. It's a funny film, light & easy.
November 28, 2013
I thought this was really fun.
September 24, 2013
absolutely adored this film,maybe not to everyones taste but definitely to mine. Reminds me of happy days at Madam Jojos in Amsterdam
½ July 7, 2013
Funny, but quite cheesy in parts, especially the end. A good premise for a movie, although you can't help but compare it to 'some like it hot'.
½ June 25, 2013
It does have funny moments, but that's not enough to redeem this movie. An enthusiastic overuse of stereotypes, and its overall ridiculousness make Connie and Carla not worth your time.
June 19, 2013
Alrhough this film has it's problems.. The whole "brother finding acceptance with the other brother" plotline sure is weak and the ending is pretty clumsy, I still loved a lot of this. Toni Collette can't do no wrong by me, and although I just absolutely hated "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", Nia Vardalos is quite fun here and keeps the jokes flying in her witty script. David Duchovny is really quite loveable in this too.
June 8, 2013
9 years later I still like to watch this movie in its entirety.
½ May 3, 2013
women pretending 2 b drag queens-hmm not so much
½ March 14, 2013
Corny, cheesy, but some how entertaining.
March 11, 2013
I love the show tunes performances (who knew those two could belt out tunes like that). So funny every time N'cream (Alex Mapa) talks no one can understand him and they always explain for him...LOL Every time I watch this it always puts me in a good mood even if I wasn't at first.
March 3, 2013
Feeling a bit low? Then this is the campest, funniest antidote there is. Fab-u-lous!
February 20, 2013
Love this movie and love Toni in it
January 13, 2013
This movie is just fun, and the singing is great, we sometimes look far too deeply at movies, when most are just there to be fun.