Conspiracy Theory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conspiracy Theory Reviews

June 26, 2017
Honestly, I don't think this film's rating does it justice. Mel Gibson is genius (granted, as per his usual). His ability to bounce between a regular guy and a potentially insane serial killer is astounding. The first time I saw it, it kept me wondering to the end was he really the good guy or the bad guy! Julia Roberts and Patrick Stewart also turn in excellent performances and complement Mel's character well. Definitely recommend for teens on up.
½ April 14, 2017
Movie about a fanatical conspiracy theorist who stumbles on a real crime. I really enjoyed this movie's story. Julia Roberts is okay. But Mel Gibson got on my nerves. He didn't convince me he was terrified. Ruined the movie for me.
½ November 27, 2016
Well done action - suspensor. On Blu-ray.
½ September 25, 2016
Gibson brings a compelling and brilliant presence into his neurotic character who see conspiracies everywhere. But is it all in his head?
½ August 29, 2016
Even a blind finds a nut every now and then, and this is a good film about what happens when you do.
½ August 22, 2016
Conspiracy Theory isn't bad when it comes to most of the details, it's when we see the big picture that it becomes sloppy looking and barely pasted together. Roberts and Gibson have less-than-believable chemistry with an even less believable love story. The movie makes it look like Mel Gibson isn't even acting, the actor is just going through everyday life as a crazy, psycho conspiracy theorist.
½ August 2, 2016
Ahh, the joy of '90s movies. So fruitful, so good. We had Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Titanic, Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Seven, Silence of the Lambs... to list a few. And then there were the other '90s movies. Ones that were trying so hard to be clever and unique, but in the end fell onto cliches... and actually were rather tiresome after a while.
This is one of the latter. The script - though I have seen far worse - dragged on the movie for at least 30 minutes longer than it had to be. Mel Gibson gave a decent performance - as did Julia Roberts - but the movie itself can only be described as average all round. Nothing memorable.
Verdict: C
½ June 3, 2016
Lot of bullshit and craziness but at least Julia Robert's beauty and Gibson's (over)acting make it movie watchable.
May 31, 2016
Tonally fucked up. Overacting by Gibson. Trash.
February 25, 2016
Conspiracy Theory is a film about a crazy cab driver (played by Mel Gibson) who obsesses over a reporter (played by Julia Roberts.) Everything he tells her sounds like the ravings of a crazy guy from the tin-foil hat society, until they find themselves wrapped up in a conspiracy of their own. I love the cast in this movie. Mel Gibson is great at playing the unhinged insanity of Jerry. There is one scene in particular that made me wonder why he never did horror, because he has the insane screams down to a science. Julia Roberts grounds the movie and brings genuine emotion. Her character has to make some dramatic shifts of allegiance throughout the film, but I think she is capable of making those transitions believable. Patrick Stewart proves in this film that he should play more villains. He is so creepy, particularly in his face-to-face discussions with the other leads, I feel uneasy the entire time. The story of Conspiracy Theory is a bit far-fetched and crazy, but it almost has to be so that it can match the insanity of all the conspiracies Jerry describes. Perhaps the biggest flaw in this film is some of the convenient ways they write themselves out of a tight spot. For instance: They need to give Julia a way to get a head start running from the bad guys, so just put a loosely covered pit right there for one of them to fall in. It's lazy writing, and it diminishes the excitement and perceived danger of the scene when it feels like the movie is always going to be on her side. However, these lazy plot points in the film aren't enough to make me dislike it. I find it to be an entertaining mystery/action movie that is made better by a few excellent performances.
October 20, 2015
Mel makes up for what Julia has absolutely none of. What's that stuff called? Talent, that's it. Mel still had talent when this was made, and Julia ... never really did. Plus Jean Luc Picard is the bad guy. Decent flick...
½ September 1, 2015
Stilted offering that's opener is that we accept Gibson's lunatic fringe wackjob taxicab driver as a nice guy. Doesn't materialize. I found myself thinking instead that here was an example of the type of antics that got him railroaded out of the fast lane of Hollywood. I'm not a big Julia Roberts fan, but Gibson was so offensive that for once I sympathized with her, particularly when while he was in the middle of a loony rampage and she was called on to look at him with warmth. There are many scenes like that. Believability quotient: zero. I kept wondering when he was gonna get tasered. Patrick Stewart, the bad guy in these proceedings, plays against the overplayed lunacy and comes off doing a superior sinister indeed. Imagine a root canal ... that's what watching this is like.
August 24, 2015
i thought it was a pretty decent thriller movie
½ August 12, 2015
Even with a great performance from its cast and being an entertaining movie, Conspiracy Theory has too many plot holes and cliches to be considered "good".
½ May 6, 2015
This is just a big roll your eyes movie.
½ April 18, 2015
A total waste of time. It seemed like it would be a good thriller, but it doesn't deliver. The acting is bad and the story is uninteresting. (First and only viewing - 4/12/2015)
½ April 15, 2015
Eh, I had hopes for this as Gibson was funny as a raging loon. But then it just got so over-the-top even with the movie trying to prove its point.
½ March 21, 2015
74%
Saw this on 20/3/15
A lot lot enjoyable due to the fine chemistry and performances of Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts and a few of the twists( generic) in the films. After all the film was true about a few of it's conspiracies, like the Oliver Stone/George W Bush ( in 2008 Stone made W about the President of USA). The film's cliches make it a bit tiresome and also it's slightly overlong.
March 12, 2015
A really good movie, anyway you see it, and one of Gibsons absolutely best performances. Great cast, great performances, awesome script, well produced and directed... This movie is original, filled with original characters and packs plenty of action, suspence and even some comedy.
½ March 10, 2015
Love, love, this movie. Almost love the lead female. Wish I liked Mel Gibson. If you think the government's up to something, you're right... for this movie.