Dialogue avec mon jardinier (Conversations with My Gardener) Reviews

• May 08, 2020

Brilliant movie. It's like reading good, simple and easy to understand philosophy. Acting is perfect, actually acting is what makes this movie what it is, plus easy-going direction. The dynamic between the main characters is fascinating to watch, it requires not little amount of talent to make a movie totally depend on dialogue.

• Apr 23, 2014

Remarkable film --simple story, no Hollywood fanfare, yet touching, and the final hour of the movie was just phenomenally good, complemented by Mozart's Clarinet concerto in A major. Beautiful!!

• Nov 04, 2013

Daniel Auteuil (Dupinceau) et Jean-Pierre Darroussin (Dujardin) nous emmènent ...

• Nov 03, 2013

Heureusement le film est plus intelligent que son postulat de départ. Un parisien redécouvre les joies de la vie grâce au bon sens campagnard au travers des dialogues avec son jardinier, ancien ami d'enfance. Pour être heureux cultivons notre jardin... Le thème est un peu simplet et plein de bon sentiments, mais la réalisation ne l'est pas. Elle met le doigt sur cette étrangeté du caractère humain, on peut être cultivé et con, bête et intelligent, bête et con, cultivé et intelligent. Le bon sens dépend de quoi au fond ? Une chose dont je suis certain on s'enrichit toujours dans la générosité et le partage. (Pourtant parfois si difficile à mettre en pratique). Il y a autre chose aussi de fort dans l'acceptation de l'inéluctable et dans le réconfort de faire ce qu'on aime et d'être fidèle aux valeurs que l'ont s'est fixé.

• Nov 12, 2012

I loved how the painter and gardener are both mature enough to accept each others' different values and perspectives on life. The conversations are absolutely superb. This is why I love french cinema.

• Sep 19, 2011

As you would expect for a Daniel Auteuil film, there are some very amusing bits. This one is slightly different from some of his previous lighter films because it is also quite thoughtful and sad. I loved how Daniel's character is impressed by his friend's ability to enjoy the simple things in life and how he expresses this is an art series - the small details of his friend's life are simply represented on canvas - like the pen knife that he carried because you never know when you might need to cut something, the slippers that he used to wear under his gum boots because they were more comfortable than socks and it meant he could take off his boots at the door and already have on the right indoor footwear, etc. ----------- Conversations With My Gardener [French title: Dialogue avec mon jardinier], 2007, Writer / Director Jean Becker, Starring Daniel Auteuil. Film seen by me: Sunday 15 July 2007.

• Juli R Super Reviewer
    Jul 16, 2011

This is a gentle film about two school friends who are reunited and spend a summer talking to each other about where their lives have gone. The film is driven by dialogue and is in many ways quintessentially French--a disillusioned French artist on the verge of divorce philosophizes about life with his gardener. On the surface it is as simple as a glass of wine on a Sunday afternoon. But somehow it sustains itself to explore a long-standing friendship.

• May 08, 2011

A film I have heard very nice things about and it partially turned out to be true. This is a very enjoyable film even if you're just watching a painter and his gardener sharing words between them. They talk about real things. Life, death, love, gardening, art, music and their pasts to name a few topics. The film is very natural and realistic - just as the characters. I sadly lost the first five minutes or so, and having some live sport tournament on my computer screen on mute killed some of the experience. Not much I guess, but a tiny little bit. A film that will make you smile and think - maybe you even will take some advice from that fantastic garden man. Sadly it didn't move me as much as films like this often does.

• May 07, 2011

Beautifully soft and gentle. The tale of a warm friendship between two men who are seemingly from two different worlds, but who have merely travelled different paths. The coming together and sharing of warmth and conversation. I laughed, I cried, but mostly I enjoyed the glow that remained once the film had ended. One to be watched over and over again.

• Feb 21, 2011

Great film! Expertly done. Absolutely loved it, watching it on a flight from Chennai to New York.