Cowboys & Aliens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cowboys & Aliens Reviews

August 18, 2017
MIndless pap....having seen it once...prob wont see again
½ August 3, 2017
Cowboys and aliens and Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford and Jon Faverau!?!? Should've been amazing. Instead it's just soooo boring.
½ July 27, 2017
One of the worst miscast movies I've ever seen. Neither Ford or Craig are believable in their respective roles with Craig in particular offering little! Plot had potential but was let down by poor characters and awful special effects!
June 28, 2017
This was a joke, right?
½ June 10, 2017
Has all the elements but lacks soul or a director who cared about the source.
½ June 6, 2017
strange film didnt no what it wanted to be
June 1, 2017
An OK movie. I remember seeing it in theaters and thought the concept was funny. Not amazing, and I probably don't need to see it again.
½ May 31, 2017
An unashamedly ridiculous summer movie that's thin on plot and characters, but strong in good ole western/sci-fi action.
May 27, 2017
Terrible boring sci-fi movie starring Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde. I hated this movie. Nothing to talk about except to many explosions and the plot was bland.
May 21, 2017
Fails at the most basic, fundamental level - the script. The idea of cowboys fighting aliens could have been a fun, B-movie romp. Instead its a murky shade of grey - not dark enough to be scary, not light enough to be fun. And it forgets that audiences need 1 thing in a film like this, before all the spectacle - characters we care about. There is no character to give a damn about, and thus the plot is completely boring. The acting and direction is flat and the alien looks like a digital mutant turtle. And they utterly wasted the best talent in the whole cast - Sam Rockwell. Favreau's 'Iron Man' only worked because Tony Stark was a great character. Favreau can't expect his films to be good if doesn't learn that - and fast.

Here's some ideas on how this film could've been great;
1) Piss off Daniel 'boring' Craig, his bronze muscles and his 14 lines of dialogue.
2) Make Sam Rockwell the lead, along with buddy, and have the movie about these two deadbeat, idiot, likeable cowboys who get swept into saving a town being plagued by aliens.
3) Fill the script with witty one-liners, tongue-in-cheek dialogue and larger-than-life characters played by audience favorites.
4) Make the aliens a little bit scary, and less like a kids scrapbook sketch.
5) Piss of Favreau and make him go back to film school for the debacle that was Iron Man 2
6) Tell Harrison Ford that he needs to stop agreeing to being in shit films (Indy 4 anyone?)
7) Speed up the whole damn show and pack more action and character into its running time.

They used to be able to make films like this in the 80's. 20 years later, Hollywood seems to have forgotten how.

I mostly blame CGI.
jamrcla
May 11, 2017
A good film, Enjoyed the action and the special effects were good, But with all the hype round this film I wanted abit more, But don't get me wrong it's not a bad film at all it's worth a watch, The aliens looked good too.
May 8, 2017
Popcorn cinema fair with good effects not a bad film but one i wouldnt buy on blu ray.
April 22, 2017
Fun and action packed!
April 5, 2017
Okay, so yes I had high expectations in Cowboys and Aliens and I told other people to see it. I was very let down. My reasons were that Damon Lindelof's alien ideas were pretty bad, the storyline was terrible, and the special effects were mediocre. Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig gave great performances, and Sam Rockwell and Olivia Wilde were also pretty good. But all that doesn't mean that this movie was entertaining, as I hoped it would be. This movie could have been a lot better with some better ideas and story. I personally think Damon Lindelof has to find another job. This movie wasn't written well, and the endings to the TV series Lost and the ending to movie Prometheus weren't that great. This is probably the only not-very-good Jon Favreau movie I've seen.
½ March 5, 2017
It was ok is the best i got... its not memorable...and not something id prolly watch again anytime soon
January 25, 2017
Unique story line. Worth the time.
January 18, 2017
It really takes Harrison Ford plus Daniel Craig to make this steampunk scifi western work. Impressive.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 11, 2016
A surprisingly good movie. There are a few problems here and there but that doesn't affect the movie that much. It has bits of funny moments which really help the serious moments without overstepping. I love how it shows enemies uniting to defeat a common enemy. But unlike other stories, uniting actually had a positive effect in the conclusion of the movie. The acting was good, the story was good, though there were few awkward and poorly written moments and the action was top notch. You literally get what title says, though I love how it still plays out as a classic western.
½ December 10, 2016
I wanna give this one a chance