Cowboys & Aliens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cowboys & Aliens Reviews

June 28, 2017
This was a joke, right?
½ June 10, 2017
Has all the elements but lacks soul or a director who cared about the source.
½ June 6, 2017
strange film didnt no what it wanted to be
June 1, 2017
An OK movie. I remember seeing it in theaters and thought the concept was funny. Not amazing, and I probably don't need to see it again.
½ May 31, 2017
An unashamedly ridiculous summer movie that's thin on plot and characters, but strong in good ole western/sci-fi action.
May 27, 2017
Terrible boring sci-fi movie starring Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde. I hated this movie. Nothing to talk about except to many explosions and the plot was bland.
May 21, 2017
Fails at the most basic, fundamental level - the script. The idea of cowboys fighting aliens could have been a fun, B-movie romp. Instead its a murky shade of grey - not dark enough to be scary, not light enough to be fun. And it forgets that audiences need 1 thing in a film like this, before all the spectacle - characters we care about. There is no character to give a damn about, and thus the plot is completely boring. The acting and direction is flat and the alien looks like a digital mutant turtle. And they utterly wasted the best talent in the whole cast - Sam Rockwell. Favreau's 'Iron Man' only worked because Tony Stark was a great character. Favreau can't expect his films to be good if doesn't learn that - and fast.

Here's some ideas on how this film could've been great;
1) Piss off Daniel 'boring' Craig, his bronze muscles and his 14 lines of dialogue.
2) Make Sam Rockwell the lead, along with buddy, and have the movie about these two deadbeat, idiot, likeable cowboys who get swept into saving a town being plagued by aliens.
3) Fill the script with witty one-liners, tongue-in-cheek dialogue and larger-than-life characters played by audience favorites.
4) Make the aliens a little bit scary, and less like a kids scrapbook sketch.
5) Piss of Favreau and make him go back to film school for the debacle that was Iron Man 2
6) Tell Harrison Ford that he needs to stop agreeing to being in shit films (Indy 4 anyone?)
7) Speed up the whole damn show and pack more action and character into its running time.

They used to be able to make films like this in the 80's. 20 years later, Hollywood seems to have forgotten how.

I mostly blame CGI.
jamrcla
May 11, 2017
A good film, Enjoyed the action and the special effects were good, But with all the hype round this film I wanted abit more, But don't get me wrong it's not a bad film at all it's worth a watch, The aliens looked good too.
May 8, 2017
Popcorn cinema fair with good effects not a bad film but one i wouldnt buy on blu ray.
April 22, 2017
Fun and action packed!
April 5, 2017
Okay, so yes I had high expectations in Cowboys and Aliens and I told other people to see it. I was very let down. My reasons were that Damon Lindelof's alien ideas were pretty bad, the storyline was terrible, and the special effects were mediocre. Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig gave great performances, and Sam Rockwell and Olivia Wilde were also pretty good. But all that doesn't mean that this movie was entertaining, as I hoped it would be. This movie could have been a lot better with some better ideas and story. I personally think Damon Lindelof has to find another job. This movie wasn't written well, and the endings to the TV series Lost and the ending to movie Prometheus weren't that great. This is probably the only not-very-good Jon Favreau movie I've seen.
½ March 5, 2017
It was ok is the best i got... its not memorable...and not something id prolly watch again anytime soon
January 25, 2017
Unique story line. Worth the time.
January 18, 2017
It really takes Harrison Ford plus Daniel Craig to make this steampunk scifi western work. Impressive.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 11, 2016
A surprisingly good movie. There are a few problems here and there but that doesn't affect the movie that much. It has bits of funny moments which really help the serious moments without overstepping. I love how it shows enemies uniting to defeat a common enemy. But unlike other stories, uniting actually had a positive effect in the conclusion of the movie. The acting was good, the story was good, though there were few awkward and poorly written moments and the action was top notch. You literally get what title says, though I love how it still plays out as a classic western.
½ December 10, 2016
I wanna give this one a chance
November 19, 2016
Jon Favreau directs Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde in Cowboys and Aliens. The film begins with Jake (Daniel Craig) waking up dazed, lost and confused. He does not remember who he is, or how or why he is in the circumstances that he is. He notices a foreign bracelet on his arm, and a wound on his abdomen, but does not know how he got them. He makes his way into town to discover that he is a wanted man for terrorizing towns. As he is on the verge of being apprehended and sent to trial, an alien invasion sweeps across the town abducting individuals with long cords.

At this point all bets are off, and he, a doctor (Sam Rockwell), a cattle baron Colonel Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford), and a mysterious woman Ella (Olivia Wilde) all decide to travel together to trace down the and recover their loved ones. There only hope is with Jake and his arm bracelet, that is a powerful weapon, and having him recall his past to aid with the origin of the alien invasion. As they travel they come across savage native Indians, and bounty hunters that all aim to kill them. They soon all come to realize they must band together despite their differences to fend off these aliens and ensure their survival.

Cowboys and Aliens is by no means an amazing film, but it has some originality to it. The blend of science fiction and western is by no means common. All the characters give fine performances in what is generally a weak story. Some of the scenes with the Indians and Jake's former crew somewhat detract from the film and do not offer enough value to the film. The action sequences and special effects of the movie are pretty good and keep the film interesting. The scenes of Jake remembering his past has some interesting moments, and ultimately keep the plot moving, but there are too many of them. The film offers some twists and turns, and does avoid some typical Hollywood clichés. Despite the fusion of genres and a solid cast, Cowboys and Aliens is not much more than your typical blockbuster film. The film has good effects, and some good action, and a solid character base, but does not build much beyond this.

-11.19.2016
½ November 18, 2016
This film had potential to be so much more and I think that is why it only gets 3 stars. With the actors of such calibre as Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig you expect much more than you are given. Unfortunately apart from the interesting opening I found myself not really wondering what was going on and just passively watching the rest of it. Some of the action scenes were interesting but I hate films where the protagonist is invulnerable apart from one thing as it makes fight scenes significantly less tense unless said maguffin is in play.
½ October 31, 2016
Great movie. Doesn't assume the audience is stupid. For a main character Daniel Craig doesn't speak much but this is barely noticeable as everything is explained through the narrative. Some very interesting side characters. The preacher injects themes about the nature of God which are very intersting with the bartender providing the antithesis, the nature of man. Some genuinely creepy moments and the ending is quite beautiful. Only let down is prob 1 action moment is a bit too far fetched.