Crocodile Dundee II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crocodile Dundee II Reviews

March 4, 2017
Very hilarious, good action scenes, not really for Sheila's.
August 14, 2016
I found the first half of this to be somewhat amusing and enjoyable, but around the half-way point it falls apart and never recovers. All direction, pacing and general ambition for the film seem to be missing from the ending of the movie. By the time the ending came, I had stopped caring.
½ June 2, 2016
A bit darker plot with Sue being kidnapped by a drug lord. Hogan's character still has charm though and decision to move setting back to outback the right call.
May 14, 2016
I remember enjoying the film's star Paul Hogan's commercials for 'Foster's Lager', on television back in the day, when I was growing up. His identification with Australia, and the outback, made him original and gave him worldwide fame. Though I never bothered with the much-more esteemed original, which came from nowhere and captured the imagination of filmgoers worldwide, this was charming and likeable despite its unimportance and relative inanity. The small barrel of jokes wear thin after a while, and the magic ran out as it did for the 'Romancing the Stone' sequel, 'The Jewel of the Nile', not much earlier, or more recently, the insipid retread of 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'. Their decent attempt to capture lightning in a bottle unfortunately fell short. One could envision that if this couple existed in real life, their entrenched philosophical differences would mount, and they would end up breaking up after a few years, at most. This is the sort of thing that only works 'in the movies'.
May 14, 2016
April 14, 2016
Well we're back in the land of the rising sun...no wait, well the land of the bloody scorching sun anyway. Yep, the inevitable sequel to the original hit and to be fair, I have no qualms about it. The first film was a breathe of fresh air and managed to capture the fun spirit of old fashioned adventures with a charming hero perfectly.

This film did well upon release but got bad reviews, I don't really see why to be honest. Sure the plot is a bit textbook, daft and over used, but the whole idea of the Aussie bushman still trying to find his way around the modern big city of New York with its cultural differences, lingo difficulties and his general ignorance of anything outside of the outback is still just about amusing.

Can't deny that there are moments when your thinking surely he's heard of that before! or seen one of those! When Mick fails to pick up on a Richard Nixon impression and then admits he's never heard of Nixon...yeah OK you've been living in the wilds of Oz but SURELY you've heard of Nixon! come on!

The main let down for this film is the stupid ass plot. Its basically your standard baddies kidnap Dundee's girl and he's gotta save her. This incorporates much silly nonsense involving kiddie street gangs dressed in awful 80's gangwear helping Dundee out, its lame.

The second half of the plot (two halves just like the first film) sees Dundee and Jane...I mean Sue Charlton back in native Oz hiding out from the bad guys who are now after them for revenge. All that way just for revenge? is it that important? Anyway we are then given an overly long series of chase/hunt sequences where Dundee uses his bushman talents to defeat the bad guys one by one.

Kinda got the impression that the despite the fact the first film was a big success it didn't involve any violence or bad guys for Dundee to kill, and this is why we have this bog standard sequel storyline. First film was a nice romantic Prince Charming type story, this is Hollywood action time...Aussie style.

What's even more off putting is both Dundee and Sue are in mortal danger during this time from the drug dealers hunting them yet they treat it like some kind of happy camping trip with lots of hugs n kisses. The director can't decide what he wants, remain a lovey-dovey romcom or venture into some proper jungle/desert killing action. Obviously it stays on the light side which equals some rather silly tame bad guy take downs which aren't really believable for the situation. The situation quite clearly shows that all the bad guys need to be killed off.

So yeah the story is crap and that's a shame because the franchise is fine for a sequel. There is just enough juice left in Mick Dundee to squeeze out another fun film. The visuals gags are still keeping afloat just about, Hogan still looks the part perfectly as do all other cast members (great continuity) and the imagery of wild Australia in all its glory with the adding of more Aboriginal folk is still very welcome and quite original. But most importantly, overall its still a fun film that just about delivers...by the skin of its teeth.
½ January 31, 2016
About on par with the original, this one has a stronger plot as it mutates from a romantic comedy into an action comedy (an '80's staple), but less heart than the original. This one made over 200 million at the box office and I'm honestly shocked that we don't have 7 of these movies littered across our streaming services.
½ December 22, 2015
This one is missing all the charm of the first film, but is still kind of entertaining. They tried to make a thriller-comedy and it doesn't fully work. Stick with the first film.
November 12, 2015
AS good as the first!
October 20, 2015
Just as fun as the first one, not sure why people say it's so shit...
October 14, 2015
This is my favorite of the trilogy. Its still funny, but it shows more of Dundee's skills. A lot more action and danger. Lots at stake in this one.
½ July 20, 2015
Good film but not quite as good as the first. Still very enjoyable and has stood the test of time well
½ July 15, 2015
Once again, Dundee gets a chance to show his skills bith in NY and Australia. What worked for the first film, is not as fresh and exciting in the sequel. There are some funny moments here and there but it just doesn't take off. Still probably will watch it again on TV in a couple of years time.
½ March 22, 2015
Everything that was right about the first film is grossly wrong on this one.....did not and should not have been made.
February 25, 2015
Very good story. Amusing in places but kept real. I think this movie is the best of the series.
January 29, 2015
Nice sequel to a great original Aussie film!This time the story isn't as fresh but the cast is having fun & we are buying it easily....It's nice to see our favorite bush man coming back for more. Good one.
½ December 1, 2014
I liked this installment better than the original. It got to show more of what Dundee was capable of.
½ October 20, 2014
It is not a masterpiece, but it is great if you want to get a laugh from it.
½ October 13, 2014
This movie isn't as bad as it could have been. It is just so different from the first that it catches you off guard.