Cropsey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cropsey Reviews

½ September 20, 2017
Para tratar un tema tan interesante como el que Cropsey se plantea, creo que hasta cierto punto su trabajo es algo fallido en mi opinión.

Para empezar la exposición de todos los detalles de la historia es algo errática y caótica y en algunos momentos me costaba seguirla, pues no sabía si iba a centrarse más en la leyenda urbana o en los casos reales que sucedieron más tarde. Esto se debe sobretodo porque no se establece una conexión lógica entre ambos fenómenos más allá de exponer sus semejanzas, pero teniendo a mano un tema tan interesante como las leyendas urbanas (que en este caso además inlfuenciaron a muchísimas obras), psicología e histeria de masas, casos reales perpetrados por personas con serios problemas mentales,...me da pena no ver que se hiciera una reflexión más profunda al respecto.

Aún así, el documental puede hacer las delicias de los fans del género.
½ July 22, 2017
3.5/5

Cropsey presents an investigation with plenty of highs and lows that affect the rhythm and understanding of the whole presentation, but the satisfyingly vague conclusion and the creepy realistic tone makes for a very compelling story.
June 8, 2017
An interesting documentary that leaves you wondering "what else is going on on Staten Island?" It's a fascinating watch from a group that really did their research. I was so disappointed that they couldn't get the interview/that it feel through. Worth a watch but it wouldn't be at the top of my list for movies I want to see.
May 20, 2017
Brilliantly made documentary.
½ May 19, 2017
production and research are great but I found the overall story to be a bit boring
½ March 28, 2017
Kind of boring. Not "bone-chilling" like I thought it would be
January 12, 2017
Touching, creepy and criminologically interesting
½ December 5, 2016
A chillingly effective documentary. A documentary that delves into what happens when the ghost stories you told as kids, the stuff of urban legends, seem to come true. Begins as the documentation of a terrible legend, but evolves into a true story of a monster, and that's what makes Cropsey downright frightening. Cropsey is a creepy documentary with all the elements of a horror film about a demented serial killer, and an extra ingredient: This one is real. Cropsey is compelling as a meditation on how we use stories to explain the inconceivable, and how if no story is handy, we take the available clues and make one up. The film is eerie and thought-provoking, raising worthwhile questions about the pursuit of justice without losing compassion for the victims or their families. Whether they're interviewing so-called experts or casual observers -- or even reading from Rand's letters -- Zeman and Brancaccio confront fear, disappointment, and hope, again and again. The filmmakers overreach trying to explain the meaning of a community's revulsion and rush to judgment regarding the man convicted of one of the murders, but Cropsey still gets under your skin. It isn't a pleasant journey -- nor one that is likely to be soon forgotten -- though it is a sobering, skillfully produced reminder that sometimes fact can be far more terrifying than fiction.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ October 23, 2016
In the creepy locales of Staten Island is believed to be buried the bodies of several children that were allegedly kidnapped throughout '70's and '80's. While the directors of "Cropsey," Barbara Brancaccio and Joshua Zeman, to both their and our frustration, never find the victims or convince Andre Rand, the main suspect, to speak to them, they do learn, in trying to distinguish fact from folklore, that humankind is quick to obscure a story and sway the minds of others without providing the necessary evidence. That is terrifying.
September 9, 2016
Cropsey is an appropriately chilling true crime doc that lacks an interview with center puzzle piece Andre Rand. He's too distant to be intriguing, just an average creep. But the filmmakers make up for that with a vivid depiction of Staten Island, a truly bizarre borough.
½ July 13, 2016
It's like they had a really cool idea for a documentary, but none of what they expected to happen happened.
July 2, 2016
Creepiest true-crime documentary ever!!
½ June 6, 2016
A well-done documentary on an urban legend turned real. [B]
April 3, 2016
Very well done crime documentary that gives you a real life boogeyman. If you liked "Making a Murderer", I highly recommend this film to you.
½ January 20, 2016
it is just purely disturbing and chilling that this actually happened, there is no doubt that they could make a real movie out of this the footage of the mental institution will haunt me for a long time. makes me sick the way the mentally challenged were treated. incredibly documentary though
½ January 18, 2016
Although the content was good, I did find thst it came across as quite boring
November 21, 2015
I found this documentary on Netflix after trying to find some good true crime documentaries on Netflix and this one had some horror aspects as well. The documentary is pretty creepy for the most part and there are some twists that you don't really see coming. That being said, the film isn't made particularly well and seems kind of shot like The Blair Witch Project (maybe they should have marketed this different and it could have been popular).
October 25, 2015
a terrifying, disturbing, superbly eerie, atmospheric documentary film that works as a bone chilling horror film and an extremely well crafted documentary that shows that fact is truly scarier than fiction.
½ September 22, 2015
One of the best docmentaries I've seen in a while. Sets the tone very well, research and presentation is just top notch and leaves a chill given the subject matter.
September 12, 2015
A pair of filmmakers delve into the legend of a childkiller whose exploits have inspired at least a couple of films, and the results are pretty damned watchable.

Well worth a look.