Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Reviews

September 18, 2018
stupidddd and fake..
September 16, 2018
%6% Im telling to the Author of Rotten ::::: sorry Sauce, but the blade are White and strong, And I think to myself good luck three Knight. I love the movie but too poor action.
½ September 3, 2018
Proving that martial arts are truly art.
½ September 1, 2018
The martial arts scenes are breathtaking and perfectly blended into the film in virtually every aspect imaginable, (especially the background). Plus, the surprisingly complex depth of the antagonist and her character's story only add to what is in my mind the "best" foreign language film that I have ever seen. It's hardly a surprise that a film as beautifully designed and compelling as this managed to win the Best Picture of the Year award, along with 4 Academy Awards.

My grade for the film: an A-
July 28, 2018
This film is enchanting. Inspiring. Heart-wrenching. Beautiful.

First things first - the visuals. The cinematography is amazing. Every scene is gorgeous and vivid and full of history and fantasy. I found the outdoor scenes to be especially beautiful.

The fight choreography is also spectacular. The fights are seamless and exciting and you can almost feel the exertion of each strike through the screen. The battle between Yu Shu Lien and Jen Yu was my definitely my favorite.

The film score is also phenomenal. Every fight was punctuated, every meaningful moment accentuated.

The plot.

What a fantastic, multi-layered plot with many themes and ideas that can be applied in so many ways.

Li Mu Bai's struggle with feeling that everything he devoted his life to was meaningless. Jen Yu's yearning to be free, to follow her own path and her scorn of being tied down. Dark Cloud's search for meaning in a vast world. Yu Shu Lien's battle with love and duty.

Memorable characters portrayed by incredible actors and actresses.

Films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon do not come along often.
½ July 15, 2018
Everybody was Kung Fu fightin
July 2, 2018
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a 2000 wuxia film, conceived and directed by Ang Lee.
This movie failed to capture my attention and focus.
AAN AAWF GGWF 1001
½ June 24, 2018
It felt a little too long and dragged out for me, but otherwise this film was spectacular! The action scenes and depth of the characters alone make this worth watching!
½ June 20, 2018
hidden beneath its self-created legacy..

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The action sequences can be inedible for some viewers but one cannot deny the fact about the way they are projected, as they express rage, fury and vulnerability more than the performance can; this is a masterstroke by the makers and the primary reason of its definite impression that it leaves the audience with. The script doesn't bar any specific format and has a newer and smarter structure to offer, that is completely adaptive and enthralling in its own way of storytelling. Ang Lee; the director, has done a tremendous work on executing such an eerie and humane vision of its "meta-human" characters. It is rich on technical aspects like editing, sound department and choreography. The performance unfortunately is not something where the feature scores and the actors, too weren't given enough range and room to flaunt in or factor in except for the lead actress. Despite of brilliant execution, it fails to draw out the essential emotions from the screen which at a certain point, is what it completely relies upon and in the end leaves this hollow space floating in the air. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is actually hidden beneath its self-created legacy that is layered and installed subtly which is plausible but it also never goes loud even when it becomes essential.
½ April 23, 2018
Un vero e proprio capolavoro del maestro Ang Lee. Il film funziona sotto tutti gli aspetti: propone una trama coinvolgente ed emotivamente forte unita con combattimenti e scene d'azione dirette e coreografate alla perfezione. I duelli tra i personaggi sono una gioia per gli occhi, con movimenti leggiadri e poetici i corpi dei protagonisti sembrano danzare seguendo una magica e toccante colonna sonora. Oltre a funzionare sotto ogni aspetto tecnico, La Tigre e il Dragone funziona alla perfezione anche sotto l'aspetto emotivo, coinvolgendo grazie ad un messaggio giusto e sincero, che lascia qualcosa dentro allo spettatore in un finale potente e carico di emozione. Nel complesso lo ritengo un capolavoro, delicato e poetico come nessun altro, una piccola perla del cinema asiatico che non dovrà essere mai dimenticata.
April 12, 2018
I watched this again for the fourth or fifth time and was struck by the exceptional nature of this movie. It's one one my top 5 favourite movies of all time.
February 24, 2018
A great dramatic romance and martial arts film. Shot beautifully and very originally choreographed. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 12, 2018
It is early nineteenth century China.
The story of a stolen sword, the Green Dragon forms the backbone to the film. Alongside spectacular martial arts sequences with the aid of wires to allow characters to fight on roofs and treetops, mountains and walls.
The characters of Jen (Ziyo Zhang) and Yu Shi Lien (Michelle Yeoh) add some feminine power to the screenplay.
Chow Yun Fat plays a Master in search of the sword and to avenge the death of his Master by the Chinese sounding Jade Fox!
The awesome stuntwork has elements of the Matrix films and the Christopher Reece Superman films.
The female characters form a strong part of the story.
The scenery changes from desert to mountain range at rapid pace.
I must admit to not been a big fan of such films, however the elements described set this apart from the norm and appeal to Western cinema audiences.
December 31, 2017
A girl who steals the manual of an ancient combat art fights better than the grand master of that art. Maybe they based Rey from SW on this girl. Trash.
December 25, 2017
Brought a fresh and new phenomenon to the screen with the special effects and fight scenes!
September 17, 2017
its an epic kung fu magic film
August 19, 2017
One exhilarating movie that understood its genre thoroughly. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon cements the fact that Asian movies can also stack up against Hollywood. It is a visual treat for movie buffs, like me, well also being a rapture for martial art fanatics.

Green Destiny; the poised sword which belongs to Li Mu Bai(Chow Yun-fat), a prominent Wudang warrior, who gifts it to his friend Sir Te in Beijing, through Yu Shu Lien(Michelle Yeoh), a female warrior, is stolen by a young truculent martial art fighter. The film is set in the Quing Dynasty during the 43rd year (1778) of the reign of the Quialong Emperor. The fight sequences are so graceful and it feels as if they're not fighting but participating in a physical refreshment, thanks to Yuen Wo-Ping, whose credits include The Matrix(1999). The movie contains some of the best action sequences ever filmed. The Art-Direction is beyond criticism.

The action scenes are so smooth, perspicuous and supple. I might be the first to say this, but this is a cut above Bruce Lee's which action scenes are usually one-sided. After watching the movie one would think that if this is some sort of computer chicanery as we see people on rooftops, trees. Howbeit it is substantial. Although, I'm a bit concerned about people flying. Besides, the movie is vivid, picturesque with beautiful sceneries along with a tasteful cinematography. Wherefore, if any action movie is called beauteous, this is it.
½ July 13, 2017
boring. street fighter was a better kung fu movie
June 20, 2017
For the fans of old-school wuxia and new school film enthusiasts who want the near-perfect blend of action and drama, Ang Lee brings a breakthrough film that appeals to the international audiences as well as the domestic. All actors bring there all in terms of physical and emotional performance, including Chow Yun Fat, Michelle Yeoh & Ziyi Zhang to the say the least. It is a tribute to similar films where the stunts and choreography are meant to defy gravity, yet introduces it to more Western audiences. It's talks of romance, honor, and vengeance, all of which are represented equally. Thankfully, watchers from all across the world will enjoy it just the same.
June 11, 2017
Fantastic tale of tragic love in a Mythic China of swords & Kung Fu. Inhabited with a fantastic cast supplied with a sublime script, the film tells a tale of duty & honour and the heartwrenching choices it can force upon us.