Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Reviews

½ November 7, 2018
This film was unwatchable.
October 20, 2018
Should not miss this movie
October 17, 2018
When CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON was released at the dawn of the new millennium, I had little interest in exploring foreign cinema. Nowadays, watching films from diverse cultures governs over 30% of my downtime; therefore, I jumped at the opportunity to see what all the award-winning commotion was about. I wouldn't exactly call myself a guru of Asian cinema; however, I do infer that I've watched more foreign cult films than 99% of Americans population, since international productions are generally closemouthed from mainstream audiences.

CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON is one of the only Chinese films to break free from its native chains and globally be recognized for its admirable choreography and Qing Dynasty drama. In my opinion, the entire adventure is nothing that I haven't seen already. It's obvious that the film was an epic Chinese achievement at the time of its release, but I've sat through enough of these things to simply pronounce it as an average post millennium blockbuster that raised the expectation-bar for thousands of uncelebrated copycats.
½ October 3, 2018
Beautiful film but the fight scenes go on a little too long for me.
September 21, 2018
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" perfectly blends poetry and filmmaking to create a powerful tale about love and why you should never avoid it. The martial arts battles are so breathtaking and unique that you will never likely see it in any other film afterwards. Not only that, but the costumes and performances are so impressive it almost feels like the movie was actually shot in during the age of China's Qing Dynasty. Who said Hollywood is the only place that can make good movies? I know I didn't!
September 18, 2018
stupidddd and fake..
September 16, 2018
%6% Im telling to the Author of Rotten ::::: sorry Sauce, but the blade are White and strong, And I think to myself good luck three Knight. I love the movie but too poor action.
½ September 3, 2018
Proving that martial arts are truly art.
½ September 1, 2018
The martial arts scenes are breathtaking and perfectly blended into the film in virtually every aspect imaginable, (especially the background). Plus, the surprisingly complex depth of the antagonist and her character's story only add to what is in my mind the "best" foreign language film that I have ever seen. It's hardly a surprise that a film as beautifully designed and compelling as this managed to win the Best Picture of the Year award, along with 4 Academy Awards.

My grade for the film: an A-
July 28, 2018
This film is enchanting. Inspiring. Heart-wrenching. Beautiful.

First things first - the visuals. The cinematography is amazing. Every scene is gorgeous and vivid and full of history and fantasy. I found the outdoor scenes to be especially beautiful.

The fight choreography is also spectacular. The fights are seamless and exciting and you can almost feel the exertion of each strike through the screen. The battle between Yu Shu Lien and Jen Yu was my definitely my favorite.

The film score is also phenomenal. Every fight was punctuated, every meaningful moment accentuated.

The plot.

What a fantastic, multi-layered plot with many themes and ideas that can be applied in so many ways.

Li Mu Bai's struggle with feeling that everything he devoted his life to was meaningless. Jen Yu's yearning to be free, to follow her own path and her scorn of being tied down. Dark Cloud's search for meaning in a vast world. Yu Shu Lien's battle with love and duty.

Memorable characters portrayed by incredible actors and actresses.

Films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon do not come along often.
½ July 15, 2018
Everybody was Kung Fu fightin
July 2, 2018
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a 2000 wuxia film, conceived and directed by Ang Lee.
This movie failed to capture my attention and focus.
AAN AAWF GGWF 1001
½ June 24, 2018
It felt a little too long and dragged out for me, but otherwise this film was spectacular! The action scenes and depth of the characters alone make this worth watching!
½ June 20, 2018
hidden beneath its self-created legacy..

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The action sequences can be inedible for some viewers but one cannot deny the fact about the way they are projected, as they express rage, fury and vulnerability more than the performance can; this is a masterstroke by the makers and the primary reason of its definite impression that it leaves the audience with. The script doesn't bar any specific format and has a newer and smarter structure to offer, that is completely adaptive and enthralling in its own way of storytelling. Ang Lee; the director, has done a tremendous work on executing such an eerie and humane vision of its "meta-human" characters. It is rich on technical aspects like editing, sound department and choreography. The performance unfortunately is not something where the feature scores and the actors, too weren't given enough range and room to flaunt in or factor in except for the lead actress. Despite of brilliant execution, it fails to draw out the essential emotions from the screen which at a certain point, is what it completely relies upon and in the end leaves this hollow space floating in the air. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is actually hidden beneath its self-created legacy that is layered and installed subtly which is plausible but it also never goes loud even when it becomes essential.
½ April 23, 2018
Un vero e proprio capolavoro del maestro Ang Lee. Il film funziona sotto tutti gli aspetti: propone una trama coinvolgente ed emotivamente forte unita con combattimenti e scene d'azione dirette e coreografate alla perfezione. I duelli tra i personaggi sono una gioia per gli occhi, con movimenti leggiadri e poetici i corpi dei protagonisti sembrano danzare seguendo una magica e toccante colonna sonora. Oltre a funzionare sotto ogni aspetto tecnico, La Tigre e il Dragone funziona alla perfezione anche sotto l'aspetto emotivo, coinvolgendo grazie ad un messaggio giusto e sincero, che lascia qualcosa dentro allo spettatore in un finale potente e carico di emozione. Nel complesso lo ritengo un capolavoro, delicato e poetico come nessun altro, una piccola perla del cinema asiatico che non dovrÓ essere mai dimenticata.
April 12, 2018
I watched this again for the fourth or fifth time and was struck by the exceptional nature of this movie. It's one one my top 5 favourite movies of all time.
February 24, 2018
A great dramatic romance and martial arts film. Shot beautifully and very originally choreographed. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 12, 2018
It is early nineteenth century China.
The story of a stolen sword, the Green Dragon forms the backbone to the film. Alongside spectacular martial arts sequences with the aid of wires to allow characters to fight on roofs and treetops, mountains and walls.
The characters of Jen (Ziyo Zhang) and Yu Shi Lien (Michelle Yeoh) add some feminine power to the screenplay.
Chow Yun Fat plays a Master in search of the sword and to avenge the death of his Master by the Chinese sounding Jade Fox!
The awesome stuntwork has elements of the Matrix films and the Christopher Reece Superman films.
The female characters form a strong part of the story.
The scenery changes from desert to mountain range at rapid pace.
I must admit to not been a big fan of such films, however the elements described set this apart from the norm and appeal to Western cinema audiences.
December 31, 2017
A girl who steals the manual of an ancient combat art fights better than the grand master of that art. Maybe they based Rey from SW on this girl. Trash.
December 25, 2017
Brought a fresh and new phenomenon to the screen with the special effects and fight scenes!