Crumb Reviews

• Aug 06, 2018

Crumb is a very disarming documentary about Robert Crumb, his work, his view, and the connection between him and his brothers.It will be hard to recommend this film to some people, particularly who have are sensitive on certain topics but I think if your suspicious is learning about the man himself, like me, or are even a fan of his work than I'd suggest you give this a shot because its still very good.

• Mar 31, 2018

I hated this movie so much I wish I could unsee it, erase all memory of it and get the time I spent watching it paid back into my life span 5 times over...

• Feb 26, 2018

Truly enlightening story about three highly intelligent brothers that each get trapped in their own individual pathologies

• Feb 21, 2018

It's really intersting to get a look inside the mind of Crumb. We get to see the side of the family, the artistic side, and the horny side of Crumb. You can tell the appreciation that the director has for Crumb's work through the attention to detail he gives to his drawings. Insane to see how Robert's brothers turned out versus how he turned out. And it's not that the brothers were morons or anything. It's just that Robert found success and got more popular. It's funny seeing how easily Robert can probably get laid now, now that his art is all over the world and he's famous. He also seems to have a very nonchalant and cool attitude when talking to women. I will say, one trait of his that I don't like is that he can come off as pretentious sometimes. I love seeing how intelligent and funny Charles, Robert's brother, is. Robert's family is so dysfunctional, it's not even funny. Charles' story is pretty sad and unfortunate. He had so much potential for drawing and stuff. Maxon's style of artwork is awesome. It's really wonderful to see the family dynamic and how Robert gets along with his brothers. One of the best documentaries I've seen. Really fucking great movie. It went by really quick. That's how you know somethings good. Very interesting movie.

• May 27, 2017

Crumb is a fascinating character, he's in his own world and Terry Zwigoff brings us into it showing us everything pleasant and unpleasant.

• Mar 05, 2017

Interesting but bleak look into the lives of some very creative but troubled people.

• Mar 04, 2017

I wasn't familiar with Crumb's work, and found most of it dated and repulsive. The interviews with Crumb and his family and friends are startlingly honest, and subtly reveal pieces of his life and behaviour in a way that made me keep changing my mind about him and his art. I was left with the thought that, though his work may be disturbing, it has enabled Robert Crumb to escape as the least troubled and troubling of his family.

• Oct 28, 2016

Interesting documentary about the crazy Crumb, putting solid background information about his literary mental dysfunctional family, yet very sharp intellectual individuals, though not made for the outside-world.

• Jul 25, 2016

Not only is it a very strong study of the history and foremost personality behind a certain creative culture, but it's also a deeply poignant study of just how delicate the dance between what we call "mental illness" and what we call "creative genius" really is. A study to which Robert Crumb himself - is only one of several key contributers here.

• Jun 15, 2016

A fascinating, funny and finally troubling documentary about the prolific, iconoclastic underground cartoonist Robert Crumb.