Cuban Fury Reviews

• Apr 21, 2019

My introduction to Kayvan Novak. That is what I took out of this.

My introduction to Kayvan Novak. That is what I took out of this.

• Apr 05, 2018

Cuban Fury is a movie that I had hopes would be a good comedy. Nick Frost has great comedic timing, and there’s something inherently humorous about a bigger man engaging in something as athletic as salsa dancing. Sadly, they didn’t write any jokes. I was mystified how flat and bland the whole movie felt. I never cracked a smile and I certainly never chuckled. Needless to say, I was disappointed. It doesn’t help that I hate this style of story because it presents a likeable protagonist, makes someone treat him terrible, and then expects you to laugh because someone thinks it’s funny to watch him suffer. I like to call it the “Meet the Parents formula,” and every time I watch one of these movies I am uncomfortable instead of entertained and cannot comprehend why others find it funny. It’s become an entire genre of comedy that seems to be made and marketed by bullies who like to laugh at dumping on the little guy. The plot has a traditional structure that resembles a number of other romantic comedies, but the way the story plays out doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. No one acts like real people act, and the whole thing is in this weird time warp where an actual mixtape somehow makes sense. I realized just how terribly the script was written and how disjointed everything felt when things came to a head with a random dance battle between the two male leads. For a moment I thought I was watching an SNL sketch, and realized Cuban Fury was completely off the rails. Overall, it’s a boring film that does nothing with a concept that had promise, which is a shame.

• Jan 14, 2017

The game is on, on the salsa floor. I had no idea about this film. Just saw its poster and it reminded me 'This Means War'. Sort of like that, but it's not about the spies, instead it was about salsa. An average guy who gave up salsa during his childhood, once again sparked to take it up seriously after finding crush on his new boss who loves salsa. But he's not alone, his colleague who's a bully is on to her and thwarts all his attempts not to get near to her. Now he has to prove, not just to win the love, but his last passion for salsa. Totally a surprising film. It was not utterly a romance theme, but a music, about salsa. The romance was a small part of it. It was somewhat fun, but I find it a bit dramatic about redefining the passion that was given up a log back. And if you love salsa, you might enjoy it. But it was not like those dance flicks from Hollywood. All the important segments of the story come in the second half. Especially the final act was much better, to end on a high. A film to watch once, just for fun. 6.5/10

• Dec 04, 2016

In this average Joe flick, Nick Frost ditches his usual comedy partner Simon Pegg, in favour of Chris O'Dowd, in what is essentially a mediocre salsa rom-com. Bullied as a child for his love of dancing, our lead character ditches his passion in order to live a normal life as a regular office worker. That is until one day when his new glamorous boss catches his eye, and the only way to attract her attention away from his colleagues is through their shared passion for Salsa. It's an unlikely tale, that has a strong basis for humour given Frost's overweight physique in what is a fast paced dance craze. However, it has limited jokes and despite keeping a constant smile on ones face throughout, it failed to set me alight. The workplace rivalry and fight for the females attention was as predictable as ever with there only ever being one winner as we root for the fat underdog to pull through. His salsa sidekick did provide some camp comedy throughout, but there were too many non-entities, including the role of Ian McShane as the dance tutor. The concept of placing an ugly duckling in unusual surroundings and watching it develop is a much tried and tested storyline, but it all petered out into a rather anticlimactic ending. Ok, so he may have got the girl, but he didn't win the competition. I mean if you're gonna stretch the boundaries of realism, at least ensure you get the fairytale finish! Not the best of breakthrough comedies, but a reasonable floor filler for the cinematic world.

• Nov 26, 2016

Cliche but thankfully the film has a good sense of humor

Cliche but thankfully the film has a good sense of humor

• Nov 17, 2016

After months and months of seeing this in my Netflix queue, I finally watched it. Not bad! It's by no means perfect. The romance isn't a likely one. But what it has going for it is fun music, great dancing, A cute leading lady for the Love interest, a funny and gay sidekick from the dancing class, and your typical bully that tries to get in your way. It's a British movie which makes the humor a little different but all in all, it's a fun movie just to shut your mind off and watch.

• Nov 01, 2016

Dear oh dear. That's 98 minutes of my life that I'll never see again. This is 'Strictly Ballroom' with all the fizz taken out. The dance scenes were implausible, as was most of the acting. Olivia Colman is the best thing about this film. It means well but misses by a mile.

• Sep 12, 2016

Not bad... A few laughs mixed with some impressive Salsa dancing. Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead-fame) did a great job.

• Jul 18, 2016

An interesting if not ridiculous romance - the thing that's staying with me is how transparent the romantic interest (Jones) is.

• Jul 10, 2016

"How can you take something so seriously that was named after a dip" Not sure what it was about this film, but I highly enjoyed it. Not the funniest film, but just a fun movie.