Curse of Chucky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Curse of Chucky Reviews

November 30, 2016
The Child's Play franchise, I must admit is very flawed (mostly due to elements from Bride and Seed of Chucky) but, with this comeback, It's definitely worth the watch. This movie gives a sense of the back story/ roots. I'd say that if Don Mancini and the crew finally make a great and horrifying film with "Child's Play" vibes into it, The franchise will have redeemed itself. My overall thought for this movie is that it is a great set up for the next movie. It's like the bones of a good film to come.
November 16, 2016
I would consider this better than the predecessors . great job.
½ November 16, 2016
It brought back the feeling of 1 2 3 . And it's just chucky not the bride and son!! Which I found not funny
November 15, 2016
Trashy, scary, and silly shit. Just go with it and enjoy the ride. It's a killer doll, not Citizen Kane.
½ November 2, 2016
I am not sure how this franchise keeps going, but it does. After five movies of steadily diminishing returns, the series hit rock bottom with its self-referencing parody approach. The character needed retired or rebooted. Without going for a complete re-boot, this movie removes the humor and gets back to the original tone. It is the darkest, most suspenseful, and serious movie in series since the first movie. Although it is not apparent until late in the movie, the story connects with the first movie in a surprisingly nice way. It wisely chooses to overlook all that came in between. The infamous Chucky doll shows up on what seems to a random doorstep of a disabled woman in wheelchair and her mother. As expected, there is an unexplained murder occurring in their house brining the relatives of the girl and her mother home for support. The sister of the young woman in the wheelchair has selfish motives for returning home. This subplot is an attempt to add drama, but it requires better characters to work. There is now a full family saying in a historic large house with the killer doll, including a little girl. As things unfold, we discover that this is not a random occurrence with Chuckey arriving at this particular house and this family. It all sounds good, but the acting and exaggerated characters and low-level acting are terrible. The dysfunctional in-family relationship could be interesting on its own, but it only serves as a framework to set up Chucky's killing. It is not terrifying, but it does have some style and story. With better acting, this could have been a complete turnaround for the series, but it settles for middling results.
October 29, 2016
It's been a while since Chucky was focused more on killing and taking over the body of a child than making us laugh. This movie goes back to its roots with nods to past chapters. A great 6th chapter. Fans of horror will greatly enjoy this.
October 3, 2016
I actually enjoyed this movie. I originally thought it would be a disaster, but no the movie pulled it off. I liked the new twist of having the main girl be a person in a wheelchair. The movie can drag on at times, but it's all worth it for the cool twist ending. This movie isn't as good as the original Child's Play trilogy, but close.
September 27, 2016
Welcome back Chucky, this is a great movie that believe it or not went straight to dvd. The follow up will get a theatrical release because everybody loved this return to Chucky's horror roots. Gore is used effectively, suspenseful, funny in parts and even offers a vignette of the history of everybody' favorite doll. Great photography, hard to believe the studios didn't release this in theaters. shame shame
September 7, 2016
The acting is kind of lacking, however this addition to the chucky movies gives a good effort as a horror film, less comedy this time. I'd say it's one of the more enjoyable Chucky Horrors that has been made, despite the cheap scares.
August 31, 2016
4/5. Curse of Chucky is a lot of fun and way better than it should be. It's definitely one of the best straight-to-DVD horror movies ever made and it is easily the best film in the Chucky series. Although the 3rd act isn't as good as the rest of the film, it has a ton of nods to the previous films that fans will appreciate and brings the series to its scariest level.
½ August 23, 2016
Has good new characters, very scary, good acting but some of the characters are annoying.
July 24, 2016
This was a shitty movie. I did not anticipate this movie being anywhere close to being fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.... wtf? I like Chucky for the most part, but they should let him rest. They are just trying to squeeze money out of an already dead franchise.
½ July 15, 2016
Another great installment that goes back to the series scary roots rather than using black-comedy. A successful attempt at bringing the old chucky back from the first two films.
July 13, 2016
A very well crafted and smart entry in the childs play series, it works as both a reboot and a continuation, sort of anyway. It's sharp, funny and for the first time since probably the first, often proper scary, they give Chucky back his fear factor again, and the little guy has never been more malicious, sadistic and brutal. Any post modern comedy imbued into the character from the last two sequels is long gone, replaced by the frightening little boogieman who made us scared of our toys when we were kids. The interesting thing they do here is that we dont see Chucky alive for ages, the filmmakers cleverly hold off for the best part of an hour into the 90 min films runtime before the "reveal", and it's easily Chucky's best and most scary introduction since the "talk to me damn it!" scene from the first, there's real patience and a really carefully built and masterfully paced sense of suspense and tension, especially the soup scene, were the films strong edge of pitch black humor comes into play. It's also great how this is essentially a "Cluedo" esc whodunnit, trapping a badly dysfunctional and ghastly family together in a amazingly designed spooky house (really the production design in this film is great and the film is so well made that it's ridiculous that it went straight to dvd whilst shoddy, cheapo looking doll film Annabelle went to cinemas and made millions, but such is the utterly retarded world we live in) and the film also features a great performance from Chucky himself Brad Dourifs daughter Fiona, truly terrific here as Nica, the only sympathetic character in the film, and whose wheelchair bound disability makes the final chase scenes even more frightening. It's also the goriest film in the whole Childs Play franchise, with some nasty as hell (and rather satisfying) kills. The only place it really slips up is in a convoluted, cluttered ending that tries too hard to tie up the series and please fans, which is a shame as it's attempt to be a stand alone entry was working very well up till that point. But on the other hand if you are a fan of the series (like me) it is also a great call back and nod to past characters and events of the series as a whole (that post credits scene is fucking awesome!) so even with flaws this is a truly good, inventive Chucky flick, and a great little scary movie, perfect for a friday night in with the lights off.
½ July 9, 2016
The best Chucky film!
June 29, 2016
want to see this move so bad I like chucky
June 29, 2016
this movie is awesome!!!!
June 29, 2016
The ending seriously saved the movie.
June 29, 2016
just as good as the classic childsplay