Curse of Chucky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Curse of Chucky Reviews

½ April 23, 2017
It's been getting a lot of love from others who are fans of the series, but I wasn't impressed. It felt like a cheap reboot to me. The acting was bad and the attempt to tie the story together was lame. It is perhaps the worst Chucky movie so far. (First and only viewing - 4/21/2017)
April 19, 2017
Summary: Curse Of Chucky delivers a compelling story, quality performances, and a memorable post-credits scene. 81/100 [B+]

After the events of Seed of Chucky, Nica, a young woman forced to a wheelchair since birth, has to regroup her sister, Barb and her brother-in-law, Ian for a funeral after the death of her mother. While dealing with Barb, Ian, along with their 5-year-old daughter, Alice; Nica receives an odd package - a creepy doll. After people start showing up dead, the fearless Nica soon suspects that the creepy doll is much more than just a doll. Curse Of Chucky was a fun movie that surprisingly exceeded my expectations, it left me very impressed. The star of the film was Fiona Dourif, she did an excellent job with her character, the rest of the cast was generally good. Brennan Elliott and Danielle Bisutti were the only ones who did not give a solid performance.

If you are a fan of the Child's Play saga, you must see it. Curse of Chucky is a fun, violent and bloody ride. Even though it was flawed, stupid, and manages some cliches of the genre, it is still an enjoyable flick. It uses some CGI effects, but I really don't care, the doll looked realistic enough. The new design of the doll was remarkable, Chucky looks scary again! Moving on, the first act was a bit slow for some people, because the doll does not speak. He said his first words until the second half of the film. During the first half we can see him walking through the rooms, moving his arms, frowning, etc. This could be boring for some people, but it was effective and suspenseful to me. I loved how the movie built up the tension.

I liked the setting of the film, the house was creepy. The score was great too, it increased the suspense at times. The movie kept the tension all the time. I was so interested in the plot and characters. Don Mancini's direction is imaginatively clever, the movie made me feel intrigued and amused. On the plus side, we have an impressive return from the cast of the previous installments; also, the performances were pretty good. Fiona Dourif gave an awesome performance as "Nica". Brad Dourif did Chucky's voice, he was excellent as always. I also want to add that I spent my whole childhood watching the Child's Play franchise. I am a huge fan of these movies, and I absolutely loved this one because it knows what fans want.

Even though it has some silly moments, Curse Of Chucky surprisingly delivers more tension and seriousness in comparison to its predecessors; Chucky is creepy, strong and revengeful again. I will not spoil it, but there is a great post-credits scene that you don't want to miss, it was completely unexpected for me. If you're a huge fan of the Child's Play saga, you will love this movie. Also, in the second half of the film there were so many surprises, and some questions about Charles Lee Ray (the spirit who lives inside of Chucky), will be finally answered. On the negative side, the movie has lots of silly and stupid moments, and some of the characters were so dumb. I still enjoyed it though. [B+]
½ April 6, 2017
Wasn't bad, wasn't great, wasn't scary. The doll hardly moves for the first half of the movie. When it does, it looks great. The deaths are lame and predictable, the ending was pretty good, but in all, you expect more of these movies and this one fell a little short in what I assume would be a reboot.
March 20, 2017
This movies shows that the series didnt die after Seed Of Chucky. Curse Of Chucky is a big step up from the last two movies!
February 17, 2017
The last, to date, Chucky film is definitely the most violent, perhaps done to appease to today's gore crowd. The chucky here is definitely more meaner, a good improvement, and has somewhat ditched the comedy aspect of the Tilly seqels. The plot here isn't that great though, mainly putting Chucky in a spooky old house with plenty of clueless individuals.
February 5, 2017
Yep This Movie in my opinion Is The Worst One in the franchise People Useally Say Child's Play 3 I Thought of that To But when I saw Child's Play 3 I Actually Loved It It was really good But this movie sucked There Wasn't Much Chucky To Me Like And Also woman Being Gay or something hope I didn't talk sexiest or anything But Really I hated this movie a lot!
January 22, 2017
Sigh to script writers. I liked Chucky up to Seed of Chucky, but where the hell was Chucky in all of this movie? Seriously I was waiting for death and destruction Chucky was infamous on and I felt like I wasted $20 to see him playing mystery murderer like the first movie versus him jumping up and stabbing you in the forehead.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 30, 2016
The Child's Play franchise, I must admit is very flawed (mostly due to elements from Bride and Seed of Chucky) but, with this comeback, It's definitely worth the watch. This movie gives a sense of the back story/ roots. I'd say that if Don Mancini and the crew finally make a great and horrifying film with "Child's Play" vibes into it, The franchise will have redeemed itself. My overall thought for this movie is that it is a great set up for the next movie. It's like the bones of a good film to come.
November 16, 2016
I would consider this better than the predecessors . great job.
½ November 16, 2016
It brought back the feeling of 1 2 3 . And it's just chucky not the bride and son!! Which I found not funny
November 15, 2016
Trashy, scary, and silly shit. Just go with it and enjoy the ride. It's a killer doll, not Citizen Kane.
½ November 2, 2016
I am not sure how this franchise keeps going, but it does. After five movies of steadily diminishing returns, the series hit rock bottom with its self-referencing parody approach. The character needed retired or rebooted. Without going for a complete re-boot, this movie removes the humor and gets back to the original tone. It is the darkest, most suspenseful, and serious movie in series since the first movie. Although it is not apparent until late in the movie, the story connects with the first movie in a surprisingly nice way. It wisely chooses to overlook all that came in between. The infamous Chucky doll shows up on what seems to a random doorstep of a disabled woman in wheelchair and her mother. As expected, there is an unexplained murder occurring in their house brining the relatives of the girl and her mother home for support. The sister of the young woman in the wheelchair has selfish motives for returning home. This subplot is an attempt to add drama, but it requires better characters to work. There is now a full family saying in a historic large house with the killer doll, including a little girl. As things unfold, we discover that this is not a random occurrence with Chuckey arriving at this particular house and this family. It all sounds good, but the acting and exaggerated characters and low-level acting are terrible. The dysfunctional in-family relationship could be interesting on its own, but it only serves as a framework to set up Chucky's killing. It is not terrifying, but it does have some style and story. With better acting, this could have been a complete turnaround for the series, but it settles for middling results.
October 29, 2016
It's been a while since Chucky was focused more on killing and taking over the body of a child than making us laugh. This movie goes back to its roots with nods to past chapters. A great 6th chapter. Fans of horror will greatly enjoy this.
October 3, 2016
I actually enjoyed this movie. I originally thought it would be a disaster, but no the movie pulled it off. I liked the new twist of having the main girl be a person in a wheelchair. The movie can drag on at times, but it's all worth it for the cool twist ending. This movie isn't as good as the original Child's Play trilogy, but close.
September 27, 2016
Welcome back Chucky, this is a great movie that believe it or not went straight to dvd. The follow up will get a theatrical release because everybody loved this return to Chucky's horror roots. Gore is used effectively, suspenseful, funny in parts and even offers a vignette of the history of everybody' favorite doll. Great photography, hard to believe the studios didn't release this in theaters. shame shame
September 7, 2016
The acting is kind of lacking, however this addition to the chucky movies gives a good effort as a horror film, less comedy this time. I'd say it's one of the more enjoyable Chucky Horrors that has been made, despite the cheap scares.
August 31, 2016
4/5. Curse of Chucky is a lot of fun and way better than it should be. It's definitely one of the best straight-to-DVD horror movies ever made and it is easily the best film in the Chucky series. Although the 3rd act isn't as good as the rest of the film, it has a ton of nods to the previous films that fans will appreciate and brings the series to its scariest level.
½ August 23, 2016
Has good new characters, very scary, good acting but some of the characters are annoying.
July 24, 2016
This was a shitty movie. I did not anticipate this movie being anywhere close to being fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.... wtf? I like Chucky for the most part, but they should let him rest. They are just trying to squeeze money out of an already dead franchise.