Dad Reviews

• Jul 11, 2020

You end up resenting everyone and wanting it to be over.

You end up resenting everyone and wanting it to be over.

• Oct 28, 2019

based on the book of the same name 'Dad' is a film that teaches all of us the best man in our lives we can truly count on are our fathers Jack Lemmon, Ted Danson, Kevin Spacey, and Ethan Hawke Jack Tremont lives with his wife in the countryside, one day she has a heart attack and her husband is left by himself when news reaches his son, John he immediately flies home to check on his old man it's one thing that Jack lives on his own but it's another thing entirely that his own son never had to worry about him so much until now John teaches Jack how to take care of himself from cleaning to cooking to driving but it's more than that; they actually bond and grow even more closer than ever before John's own son eventually comes into the fray, with this father and son relationship it might need fixing itself before it's too late Jack's wife has always been stubborn and self-righteous with so much demand so with her husband in a new zest for life she finds it difficult to reassess herself if the declining health doesn't kill him then it's her harsh judgment mixed with resentment might the film is from happy-go-lucky to straight up drama and it pours on some very weighty subject material all fathers and sons need to spend time together, healthy or not healthy remaining close is what counts the most, how many of us are truly, deeply happy with the lives we have lived for so long, infirmity, senility, reconciliation and death are all issues we must contend with at some point, we shouldn't fight but only love and forget everything else, finding a new life to live fully doesn't mean we have to turn back the previous one, it never hurts to open up to new things in the world Lemmon's performance is a treasure to witness as a father that finally gets to know his own child after so long while also gaining a new perspective on things not wasting a single moment Ted Danson's role here is just as committed as a son finally starting to see the value of his relationship knowing he's always had a father that never demanded anything in return and was always there to take care of everyone all of us have a father or some some semblance of a father figure we wish to look up to or gather some imparting wisdom, this movie makes us reaffirm the deep connection right from the start until the very end we may get very few chances to spend time with them so it's important they happen frequently Danson and Lemmon play very convincingly with each other making this movie soar with its rich emotions and heavy topics

• Aug 06, 2017

The relationships were authentic thanks particularly to the loving father-son dynamic between Jack Lemmon and Ted Danson, with the former performing really well a little beyond his age while attempting to pull heartstrings of familial emotions that only reached expressively. (B+) (Full review TBD)

• Feb 08, 2017

Dad a le parfum des pires John Hughes, ressemble aux pires John Hughes et est effectivement exactement comme les pires John Hughes. Dad se veut chaleureux et familial quand le film de Gary David Goldberg n'est en fait qu'un mélodrame particulièrement larmoyant et inintéressant, qui envoie du drame par paquet de douze, même quand c'est furieusement irréaliste. Ted Danson et Jack Lemmon font le minimum, Olympia Dukakis est sous-utilisée et Ethan Hawke n'a que peu de choses à faire. C'est dommage car il y avait moyen de faire quelque chose de touchant avec cette histoire de triple génération.

• Aug 03, 2015

An emotional tear-jerking film that overuses the emotions even for its own good, yet is saved by Jack Lemmon's believable performance as the 78-year old Jake Tremont, who, after his wife suddenly collapses, eventually learns to take care of himself with help from his son John, ably played by Ted Danson. And Ethan Hawke, in his early years of acting, gives a good performance as John's son Billy, who has a somewhat recent falling out with his father. Not the best film from Amblin, considering E.T., Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, but is worth a watch.

• Apr 16, 2015

Nice to see Lemon again....would've been nicer in a better movie.

Nice to see Lemon again....would've been nicer in a better movie.

• Sep 02, 2014

Certain Scenes (Danson & Lemmon) Are Perfectly Staged & Presented As True To Life As Can Be...It However Cannot Ride Purely On These Poignant Scenes Alone, So Unfortunately Gets Dragged Down & Backwards In Other Patts...

• Sep 01, 2014

I just watched this for the first time. I loved it I don't know what other movies it was in the running with in 1900 but I bet if this move had been made today, Jack Lemmon would have had a best actor nomination instead of only a nod for the Golden Globe. He was terrific. There were a lot of important lessons in this heartwarming movie.

• Dec 02, 2012

tres touchant pour un film quon ne sattendais pas a regarder lol, jai aimé la facon de réagir différente des personnages, et senti vraiment un drame

• Nov 18, 2012

A stirring film about 3 generations of men trying 2 connect altogether after many years of disconnection. Ted Danson is desperately wanting to connect with his son & spend time with his father also, at first I assumed this film is a comedy but it really isn't. It's more or less a heart felt drama & I think Jack Lemmon is excellent as Ted's father. It was a bit of sleeper this film & didn't do tell week...I thought it was interesting.