Damage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Damage Reviews

½ June 4, 2016
"Damaged people are more dangerous, they know how to survive."
May 4, 2015
Slightly ponderous and slow, with strange dialogue that seems other-worldly. Still, it has an inevitable car-accident feel about it that is gripping.
½ April 7, 2015
Thrilling tale of betrayal....sign Irons up for father of the year.
February 17, 2015
Lo mejor Miranda Richardson se roba la película incluso eclipsa a Binoche.
½ October 27, 2014
It attempted to be dark and haunting but in all it came off kind of sleepy and slow. I thought Irons was good but I've seen better work from Binoche.
January 26, 2014
Damage people are dangerous.
November 22, 2013
The pacing is off - the sexual relationship begins abruptly without proper lead in or development and then the storyline drags. There is no chemistry between Stephen (Irons) and Anna (Binoche).
½ May 19, 2013
Although many pay attention to the incestrous relationship and intense sexuality here, the real focus should be the repetition of tragic fate. I don't quite understand why Binoche's character has fallen for Irons so easily, but I guess that's why the film seems to be that fateful. Louis Malle is a brave and talented director who dares to explore taboo subjects insightfully.
½ April 16, 2013
I was speechless , very interesting movie. A must see it again.
April 10, 2013
The fusion of proper society and animalistic instinct make this film a sick and beautiful creation of what we know as "desire".
½ March 23, 2013
I was disappointed with Damage, particularly because the strong cast and positive critical reviews suggested it was something of a hidden gem in the world of cinema. Sadly, it fell short on many fronts.

Jeremy Irons, rarely an actor who disappoints, was miscast in this role, in my view. He plays a senior English politician with many years of experience, a wife and family. Anyone with any knowledge of the British political system knows it takes a very strong character, with willpower and the ability to resist temptation, to reach the top of the English political system, so the ease with which Juliette Binoche's character seduces and attracts Irons is unrealistic and annoying, quite frankly. Though Irons acts convincingly as always, his character is just wrong, and I'm surprised he took the role in the first place.

Binoche's character herself is also disappointing. Obviously, the director has aimed to make her as mysterious as possible, but there just isn't enough character development to make us care about her at all. Considering Irons and Binoche are advertised as the two stars of the film, their lack of chemistry and character development is a serious shortcoming in Damage.

More positive and memorable performances come from Rupert Graves and Miranda Richardson, Irons' son and wife respectively. Their characters are much more interesting to watch, making it a pity that they are only secondary in importance to Irons and Binoche.

That all said, the premise is pretty good, and their is some great direction from Louis Malle. Damage isn't a bad film, but it could have been so much better, Overall, I do not recommend it.
December 12, 2012
Yes! It could happen for a man, for a family but with what probability? And to spend time to film such a sad unlikely story could have what kind of message along? "Dear father! Don't make love with your daughter in law! you may sacrifice your son in return!!"
December 5, 2012
Another great movie by Louis Malle, Irons is great as always
½ November 11, 2012
A completely devastating story in the way it unfolds before you.
September 21, 2012
A million times smarter and sexier than "Basic Instinct", which came out earlier the same year.
½ September 21, 2012
Intense drama, strong and obsessivo.Great performances.
August 23, 2012
unbelievable ending :( i love this movie whatch it