Dancer in the Dark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dancer in the Dark Reviews

January 16, 2017
"Dancer in the Dark" is simplistic and at times even tedious; yet Björk's exceptional performance as Selma, as well as an emotional and gripping plot, makes it a movie you're unlikely to ever forget.
½ January 12, 2017
This is, so far, not only the worst musical I've ever seen, but even the worst movie. I'm sorry, but Lars von trier and Björk do not know how to make an effective musical. I do believe that 6 fantasy musical numbers, bad ones, used as an escape from all the troubles Björk is facing through the overly long, misguided poor excuse of a film this is is not a musical. That's a drama with some singing. Her voice sounds incredibly underdeveloped, everyone else sounds like they're singing for the first time, the cinematography is laughable and the only other movie that I can say is repetitive as this one is the room (2003). My main complaint is when you're watching a musical, you escape into a fantasy world where all conflicts are resolved at the end, or at least ends happily enough and you can't stop tapping your feet, or at the very least, the plot is compelling, the music is excellent, and if it does end tragically, they deserve it, like in Sweeney Todd. This film has none of that. This film is Björk falling into worse and worse traps, while using her own bad music to escape. It's like a musical version of shawshank. Oh yeah, spoiler alert though: most musicals don't end with the protagonist getting hung. Except by that point, you're ready for the movie to be over with that you really couldn't care if she did or didn't get hung. I would not recommend this movie to my worst enemy
December 4, 2016
Jesus, the ending is brutal. Björk acts so damn well in this, it drove me to tears.
September 21, 2016
Extremely powerful , full of drama , excellent photography. Tears inevitably come out .
September 11, 2016
la peli mas deprimente que he visto hasta ahora ;(
August 23, 2016
Amazing movie. Great acting, great music, great story, very depressing and very moody. Classic Lars Von Trier
½ August 17, 2016
Björk's performance was heartbreaking, she was incredible. And the story was just so sad but done very well. Lars Von Trier knows how to make people feel things, and this isn't the exception.
~August 16, 2016~
June 3, 2016
Hermosa pero internamente aterradora, con una visión sonora bastante única y energética de parte de Björk, Bailarina en la oscuridad es una destacable película que quizá será dificil de verla una segunda vez.
Horror Movie Project
May 9, 2016
Completely soaked in raw and powerful emotion. This movie is as beautiful as it is difficult to watch without having your heart ripped out of your chest. Dark, Grim, Depressing and Powerful. This is a movie that you really need to see at least once just for the reaction from your system. Amazing soundtrack that is tastefully placed throughout. Enjoy.
April 29, 2016
Very depressing and the ending is totally uncalled for, but the musical numbers and Björk's heartfelt performance make this a movie I wouldn't watch again but makes an overall great film. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Björk because the soundtrack is full of Björk style songs with a bit of a musical theatre spin.
April 7, 2016
82%
Saw this on 7/4/16
Bjork gives an extremely moving performance, but one might wish that it would have been far far better had this not been a musical. The film fails to connect a lot because of these unwanted musical numbers even if the lead character justifies them. However, the film becomes compellingly engaging and heart wrenching towards the end, thanks much to Von Trier's craft and Bjork's performance.
March 15, 2016
This one frustrates me because I really want to like it, but I just don't that much. I've never been a fan of Lars von Trier's directing style, there's this "home video" quality to this film and that's what I feel like I'm watching sometimes. The random jump cuts in the middle of dialogue scenes take a lot of emotional weight out of what the characters are saying, and it's just flat-out annoying. Also, Bjork's character makes some absolute dipshit decisions toward the end and they felt almost inhuman, therefore making the ending ridiculously, overtly sad. I did like her weird, dark, electronic music scenes which is surprising as musicals are not my forte, but they made the film interesting.
½ February 14, 2016
It's so compelling and sad, Bjork is a phenomenal actress. She IS Selma.
January 10, 2016
Dancer In The Dark is a seriously weird film. Starting off with a lot of promise, with its raw, documentary-like feel and sensitive performance from Björk, the movie quickly shows it true colours, literally and figuratively, and what follows is 2+ hours of crushing tedium, bland dialogue and maudlin monotony. It appears that it's only way to move its audience is to be as unashamedly downtrodden and bleak as possible, with no space for levity or light relief, and as a result is simply depressingly. Several parts are entirely predicated on characters being curiously incapable of providing basic explanations, and often logic and common sense are cast aside completely. I liked very few parts of it, was bored by most, and outright hated others. I will commend it on being unique however, in that I've never previously witnessed spontaneous musical numbers popping up in a film about a soft-spoken Czechoslovakian immigrant with a heredity eye condition. There's a first time for everything I guess.
January 7, 2016
The film fades from black and opens like eyesight coming into focus for the first time. As fine art continues to fade in and out, a motif evocative of bursted capillaries takes over. This is Dancer in the Dark, a film by Lars Von Trier about Selma, a foreign immigrant woman in 1960s Washington State who loves movie musicals but is slowly going blind. The film is a musical itself, but a very unconventional one. It's not the glamorous romp that Selma sees on the big screen. Instead, it's a rough around the edges look at escapism and perceived Americana that showcases the contrast of how we use sight, sound and imagination to get through our everyday lives.

Most of the movie looks more like a documentary, very much like real life. It's so unpolished that it seems like improv, like everything is being made up on the fly or that the camera is just capturing these real, personal events. Of course as the story continues you know that everything is indeed planned and once you get to the first musical number, which doesn't happen until nearly 40 minutes in, everything is actually specifically choreographed. While these real life moments were filmed with what seems to be a single handheld camera, the musical moments become dreamlike and are shot with over 100 digital cameras placed around the location to catch every move from every angle. This footage was then edited to give a sense of stability within Selma's mind, standing out from her otherwise rocky life. It's quite ingenious.

The cast is filled with actors' actors that each bring truth to their characters no matter how big or small the role is. Veteran actress Catherine Denueve is abrasive but supportive as Selma's friend and coworker, Peter Stormare is sympathetic as a man after Selma's affection and David Morse really pushes the film to new points as Selma's neighbor and landlord. Cara Seymour, Siobhan Fallon, Udo Kier, Stellan Skarsgård, Vladica Kostic and Joel Grey are all also in smaller roles, though still as equally important to the film. Icelandic singer Björk, who has a limited experience with acting, stars as Selma herself and brings veracity, sincerity and an incredibly raw experience to the character.

Selma struggles between being a woman of her word, holding her ground and simultaneously feeling helpless. She's dealing with her own personal burdens, being a single mother trying to give her son a future he can see, and the burdens given to her by others, being a friend in a position where she doesn't have much of a choice to make. Many might question why Selma doesn't take the easy road through her situation, but that's just the point. She is so innocent and her moral convictions are so strong that she never even feels the need to. It might seem like an unrealistic decision to make, but it's only as unrealistic as any other movie musical, just in the opposite direction.

Dancer in the Dark completes Von Trier's Golden Hearts Trilogy of films in which the heroine remains naïve despite her experiences. It should also be noted that the Danish director's view of vintage America is a view from afar as the director has very rarely if ever even been to America and the film was shot in Denmark. The portrayal here of small town American living and the American justice system are skewed and exaggerated, a bit simple but still unsurprising. It's a heartbreaking and unsettling film that you will assuredly not clap for at the end, as you might a usual musical, despite whether you appreciate it or not.
December 30, 2015
One of the saddest films I've ever watched. Fantastic performance by Bjork. Only downside is none of the songs, aside from the last one which is absolutely heartbreaking, are particularly memorable.
½ December 29, 2015
Couldn't finish it. Too depressing. What is it with this director anyway? Does he like being depressed? And I thought Melancholia was bad.
½ November 6, 2015
Björk is magnificent in a very demanding performance, acting and singing in this grim and devastating musical tragedy that can be really difficult for some people to watch, but no one can deny that it is incredibly thought-provoking and emotionally compelling.
½ October 28, 2015
Who said musicals should have a happy endings. Give it to Bjork to make the saddest most grooming musicals ever.

Great performance, hope she would repeat it again.