Dark Blue Reviews

• Jun 07, 2017

The 10 min LA riot scene is cool, besides that it's just a bad crime drama. No real hero. Every character is unlikable.

• Mar 06, 2017

Kurt Russell plays a compromised cop in the middle of a cover up in the days leading up to the Rodney King decision and the ensuing riots, and while it's a fairly gritty tale and believable enough, I just never fully committed to it because I can't get behind Scott Speedman and his boyish face, for whatever reason. Worth a rental, but I doubt it's going to be anything you wanna watch more than once.

• May 26, 2016

Routine cop movie, but Russell keeps it alive with an honest performance. Great supportive cast too. I'm surprised a director like Shelton, known for sports comedies, would do a cop flick.

• Oct 03, 2015

I've never seen a movie that is so... "okay". How's the acting, it's okay. How's the plot, it's okay. How's the action, when it happens, it's okay. What makes this film watchable is Kurt Russell. I really like him as an actor but in this, he is acting more like Nicolas Cage with out-of-nowhere over-the-top freak-outs. "Dark Blue" was written by one of my favourite screenwriters, David Ayer. His movies, whether writing or directing, always get me invested extremely quick such as "Training Day", "The Fast and the Furious", "End of Watch" etc. But "Dark Blue" didn't have anything special in it to hook me in right away. It took a good 45 minutes for this movie to get just the slightest bit interesting. Roger Ebert gave it two thumbs up but I'm gonna have to give a thumbs down to this one. There are better cop movies out there.

• Jun 28, 2015

Russell is good but there is no there,there as far as the script

Russell is good but there is no there,there as far as the script

• Apr 02, 2015

Kurt Russell's performance alone is the main reasoned I reviewed this movie. The movie is not great but is made considerably better with Russell involved. He is the reason my rating is 4 stars instead of 3.

• Dec 20, 2014

Oh wow, this was so '90s.

Oh wow, this was so '90s.

• Nov 16, 2014

An average flick if I've ever seen one. Some scenes work, others not so much. Russell is quite good as a corrupt officer but everything else about this film screams generic. A shame really since the film makers clearly have a higher intent in mind and the Rodney King era is ripe for a quality cinematic treatment.

• Oct 01, 2014

There are a 100 in a dozin like this one... Russel was ok , his caracter don't follow the rules...corrupt . SOMDVD

• Aug 29, 2014

"Dark Blue" is a gritty, tense police thriller that deals with corruption in such a realistic way that you sincerely hope it is exaggerated for the simple purpose of making an entertaining film. Director Ron Shelton, stepping way outside of his comfort zone, has done just that and he shows a real flair for the genre after spending most of his career making sports movies. Still, Kurt Russell is the star here, and it's nice to see such a dependable actor get such a great part and do so much with it. He could have very easily taken it over the top and turned Detective Eldon Perry into a demented lunatic, but he keeps his performance and character grounded. He's not evil, he's simply doing his job the way he was trained by his family before him. When he finally makes amends at his promotion ceremony at the end, it's a great moment. There are far too many needless subplots that tend to take the viewer out of the moment, mostly involving personal relationship's such as Russell's marriage breaking up, but screenwriter David Ayer wisely updated the film to be set against the backdrop of the Rodney King trial. That really gives the film a sense of urgency and immediacy, and once the verdict is reached, the finale is that much more explosive. I'm not sure how accurate it is having only seen the riots on the nightly news, but in this picture, they sure feel accurate. "Dark Blue" is pretty typical of the police thriller genre, but it has its own story to tell and it does so with skill and packs a couple of hard-hitting punches.