Dave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dave Reviews

½ November 21, 2016
what we wish politicians were like
September 5, 2016
Great movie, holds up. Smart and interesting, even though it seems like it'd be predictable. Ebert said that about it I think, and he's spot on.
July 18, 2016
If Gary Ross had only written this movie, he'd still be one of the greatest screenwriters to ever live.
½ June 11, 2016
Probably Kevin Kline's best movie! Dave is an entertaining feel-good comedy. (First and only full viewing - 1/30/2009)
April 1, 2016
it was a great moive sure it was funny and there was drama what a great moive it was
March 20, 2016
Very entertaining. Interesting premise.
March 9, 2016
If only we could be so lucky
½ November 16, 2015
Dave est un film extrêmement divertissant sur le thème de l'idéaliste qui devient une figure politique importante dans son pays. Du coup, il n'y a rien de bien original dans ce film d'Ivan Reitman, mais Dave reste extrêmement sympathique grâce à une jolie interprétation de Kevin Kline et des très nombreux seconds rôles, entre Ving Rhames, Ben Kingsley ou encore Kevin Dunn. Un peu longuet et surtout un peu répétitif, Dave menace souvent de passer du côté mièvre, mais parvient toujours à s'en sortir grâce à une bonne blague. Dave est un parfait film du dimanche soir, familial, prévisible et sympathique.
August 8, 2015
I very much liked dave kevin kline was great it makes you wish we actually had a president like dave kovic
July 5, 2015
Good for an hour but eventually succumbs to melodrama and clichés.
½ July 4, 2015
While perhaps a little over optimistic about cabinet members's enthusiasm for budget cuts to support homeless shelters, DAVE manages to somehow pull you out of the cynicism modern-day politics has wrought. With such intelligent acting and scriptwriting, it's hard not to like Dave - character or eponymous film - and hope that there are already Daves somewhere in the government, working on worthwhile issues.
½ June 2, 2015
Very underrated "what if" presidential film
May 13, 2015
This is one of those films I grew up watching all the time. It's the story of a man named Dave who looks exactly like the President of the United States (both played by Kevin Kline). Dave is then hired to stand in for President Mitchell at a minor political function. However, when the President suffers a massive stroke the job is extended a little longer. What I've always enjoyed about this movie is how it shows that everyday common sense doesn't exactly fit in The White House. Dave tries to do things with integrity and logic, but as soon as he does it starts to rub some of his political advisers the wrong way. Frank Langella is just amazing as the controlling, but easily riled White House Chief of Staff. He has a couple of scenes that perfectly sum up what most of us think politicians are like behind closed doors. Kevin Dunn is a nice counterpoint, as the appeaser in the Oval Office. He likes Dave's ideas, but still has some shady ideas of his own. Naturally, Kevin Kline is amazing. I never can get enough of him, and think he is easily one of the more underrated actors of the 80s and 90s. He effortlessly portrays 2 unique characters here, and does a nice job of blending them when one is impersonating the other. Finally I'll mention Sigourney Weaver, who is charming as the First Lady. She is wonderfully venomous in the early scenes, but makes a believable transition into a more friendly demeanor later on. And that's just 4 of the actors in a film loaded with great actors like Ben Kingsley, Charles Grodin, Laura Linney, and more.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that the film probably has a bit too much naivete about the political world. Naturally, some of the things that Dave proposes and enacts would have some pretty dramatic consequences in the real world. But that's the magic of movies. We are free to imagine a world where the manager of a temp agency and a simple accountant could find a way to cut hundreds of millions of dollars from the national budget. It's ridiculous, but it sure makes for a heartwarming scene. I also feel that some of the structure of this movie is a bit off. There's this implied friendship building between Dave and a secret service agent played by Ving Rhames. There aren't enough scenes fleshing out this relationship for the final scenes between them to be convincing. Also there are a few too many minor details in this whole doppelganger-switching plan that don't really make sense if you examine them closely. However, if you are one of those people who can get past the need for a movie to make sense in the real world and you can just enjoy the Hollywood magic, then Dave is a thoroughly entertaining film. It's not the best film in this genre (I think I probably like The American President better,) but it is one that I'll watch any time and would recommend you check out as well when you get a chance.
½ April 8, 2015
This type movie is as old as Hollywood itself but the do it up right here......somewhat right that is.
½ March 5, 2015
My favorite Kevin Kline film.
½ February 15, 2015
3.5 - Frank Langella
3.5 - Ving Rhames
3.0 - Kevin Dunn
January 18, 2015
A really good, thought-provoking presidential film. (A-)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
January 1, 2015
What a charming tale! Maybe we really do need someone like "Dave" in the White House.
½ December 27, 2014
Charming entertainment.
December 21, 2014
The concept of a look alike taking the place of the president is of course unrealistic, but that isn't the point of the movie. Dave is just showing its audience a case of someone helping people while knowing he will never receive any credit for it, simply because he genuinely wants to make the world a better place. There aren't many things greater than that and Reitman's direction and Kline's performance capture it perfectly.