Dazed and Confused - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dazed and Confused Reviews

½ August 23, 2017
There are too many characters to become truly invested, but Linklater manages to delight at every turn.
August 18, 2017
My Favorite Comedy Film Of All Time Is 1933's Duck Soup.
½ August 3, 2017
What's funny to say about the '76 aesthetic is that time hasn't been kind to it, since the mid-'90s. Contemporary time capsules are one thing. A run-of-the-mill "lol look at this era" work like That 70's Show is what ultimately flips the boat. So I am pleasantly surprised to say that Dazed and Confused is very good, and, with all due respect to the accuracy of the aesthetic, it has nothing to do with the aesthetic. If anything, the use of a time long passed can give greater momentum in showing how little has changed in human relations. Sure, there was more hazing, not much to do in town, more tight-ass authoritative figures, more misogynistic hard rock (well... in the realm of the mainstream, anyway; no offense to the misogynistic metalheads out there), easier ways to con people. It's what the people at the time had for laughs. We can laugh with the characters because we understand it's the shitty hand they were dealt with. Kids of any era have their own hand too. Despite this hand, and despite the timeless dawning of what it means to be soon becoming a member of society, the kids of the movie (including Ben Affleck, Parker Posey, etc.) still want to have a good time and respect for themselves. Extremely tangible themes.

Leave it to director-writer Richard Lanklater to fit an ensemble story in the course of a single day, something he would later perfect in the Before ____ trilogy. I am left with a desire to get to know more about these characters, but fuck it. They're high schoolers. They have a lot on their mind, but there isn't much they know. Lanklater captures that quite well, all the while presenting an array of different people with clear priorities and a core desire for connection, through whatever way makes sense in a moment. Quite the variety in such priorities, from feeling older and thus more respected, feeling younger and thus freer, feeling high and thus more powerful. The quotes, too! Some are hallmarks of a past era -- "That's what I love about these high school girls. I get older, and they stay the same age." from a young Matthew McConaughey -- and others are so perfect for any situation that you may catch yourself saying them in your daily routine. In fact, one quote is a meme: "I came here to do two things: kick ass and drink beer. (turns to near empty beer cooler) Looks like we're runnin' out of beer." Context: That character said that, in an attempt to rationalize why he lost his cool and picked a fight with someone at a party. See how there's so much to dig into this movie? For all I know, Linklater just wanted to make a movie about the 1970s. What sets him apart from lesser peers is that he understands how to relate to his audience, acknowledging that 1976 is the past but it also had some part in setting the course for 1993, when the movie came out.
½ August 3, 2017
A cool, little hippy film that studies the lives of teens and young adults during the 1970s era. It's funny and lighthearted, but too many storylines for me to handle since I want to appreciate all the characters without losing moment on each. I also can't relate to any of them since I wasn't born on that era, but it's a good film to see how it was like back then.
July 25, 2017
BEST MOVIE SOUNDTRACK EVER!!! ONE OF THE BEST FILMS EVER TOP 10!!!
½ July 11, 2017
Basic last day of high school hi Jinx.
½ June 6, 2017
Dazed and Confused becomes an instant classic with its ultimate soundtracks and characters whom you can relate to when you were younger. One of the best from Richard Linklater. Surely this would make you wanna re-live your high school days again - getting drunk and wasted.
May 29, 2017
Richard Linklater perfectly recreates everything about the 70's while giving you the ultimate trip down memory lane. An all time great soundtrack with charismatic characters that you can't help but love. Usually not my type of movie but the characters were so enjoyable to watch. A lot of great iconic dialogue in the film. A must watch especially if you grew up in the 70's.
April 28, 2017
Sitting on the fence with this one. I watched this at a cult classic night for the first time and I really didn't know how to take it. There didn't seem to be a clear narrative, just a coming of age story between a bunch of different people. I don't know, it was ok. I guess it's a cult movie for a reason.
April 26, 2017
Why am I supposed to like this? Because it mentions drugs?
April 23, 2017
Just keep on livin' man. I have almost never seen a movie that surrounds itself so much in one time period.

Dazed and Confused boasts a wonderful ensemble cast with Jason London, Rory Cochrane, Wiley Wiggins and so many more great performances.

Obviously, the soundtrack kicks ass. The dialogue and way the characters act is so perfect.

In the end, only The Breakfast Club can compete with Dazed and Confused as the best coming-of-age teen film of all time.
March 31, 2017
The best movie about high school kids and partying ever. Nostalgia. Throw-back to the 70's. The look, the smells, the feel, its all here. One of my favorite all time movies.
½ March 19, 2017
Fun entertaining dumb high school movie starring who knows and who cares because are they big celebrities like Ben Affleck or milla jovovich, no but they do make a surprising cameo in this movie. I really like old high school comedy movies, like fast Times at ridgemount high. But first let's talk about the 70s songs they pick for the movie. They're really good songs from the seventies and I like the part when they say the 70s suck, it's hilarious just roasting the 70s. If I'm going to get into comedy then everything Matthew Mckonohay does his hilarious and his iconic alright alright alright. I always wondered how he got famous for saying that line and now I know and I have to thank dazed and confused.
March 11, 2017
Linklater sure does know how to write reality, for better or worse. Some of these music choices feel a bit too spot-on. Kinda romanticizes some fucked-up shit during a fucked-up time.
March 3, 2017
That movie is very funny and brilliant I give to 100% i loved this film
February 20, 2017
this is such an amazing film. I loved all the characters, as they all have their own unqiue personalities, inner problems, and quirks. I loved all the songs. the plot wasnt too linear - I couldn't pinpoint a specific climax - however this made it all the more interesting. i think it's meant to be made up of various mini stories that are interwoven and overlap. I recommend this for anyone interested in a heartening film with a simple message - that we should do anything in our power to sit back and enjoy ourselves instead of getting caught up in other people's expectations for us.
February 6, 2017
It's supposedly a funny, affectionate re-creation of American high school life from the mid-'70s with a great soundtrack. I found it boring, tedious, horrible in almost every way. Nearly all of the music was unimaginative rock. All the kids were off their heads and the adults weren't much better. No wonder America is fucked. Depressing.
(PS. Richard Linklater also directed Boyhood which I loved.)
January 23, 2017
Great fun, relatable representation of high school years, and a brilliant soundtrack. Also quite funny to see how several Hollywood A-listers made their break.
January 11, 2017