Dazed and Confused - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dazed and Confused Reviews

February 20, 2017
this is such an amazing film. I loved all the characters, as they all have their own unqiue personalities, inner problems, and quirks. I loved all the songs. the plot wasnt too linear - I couldn't pinpoint a specific climax - however this made it all the more interesting. i think it's meant to be made up of various mini stories that are interwoven and overlap. I recommend this for anyone interested in a heartening film with a simple message - that we should do anything in our power to sit back and enjoy ourselves instead of getting caught up in other people's expectations for us.
February 6, 2017
It's supposedly a funny, affectionate re-creation of American high school life from the mid-'70s with a great soundtrack. I found it boring, tedious, horrible in almost every way. Nearly all of the music was unimaginative rock. All the kids were off their heads and the adults weren't much better. No wonder America is fucked. Depressing.
(PS. Richard Linklater also directed Boyhood which I loved.)
January 23, 2017
Great fun, relatable representation of high school years, and a brilliant soundtrack. Also quite funny to see how several Hollywood A-listers made their break.
January 12, 2017
BEST MOVIE EVER!!! BEST MOVIE SOUNDTRACK EVER!!!
January 11, 2017
A must see classic. Yet another Linklater masterpiece
December 31, 2016
What's a hangout movie? It's the kind of film where all of the characters feel like you know them. They were your friends in high school, friends you haven't seen in a long time. Dazed and Confused is that kind of movie. It doesn't have a big story, and it's not something to overanalyze in a film school discussion, it's just an awesome movie. It's all about high school in the 70's, and their standing in the social hierarchy. The jocks, the popular girls, the nerds, the hippies, the stoners and right in between you have Matthew McConaughey in his first role. Alright, Alright, Alright. We even have Ben Affleck in his debut role as the creep with the paddle. It's never really explained why he has such a fetish for spanking freshman boys, but it's assumed that's what bullies did back then. Odd. Don't forget about that soundtrack. It's as amazing as most 70's period piece films are.
December 28, 2016
161227: As a late 70s early 80s junior-high school guy, this film did nothing for me. Yes, we had similar characters. We had the parties and the same high school drama. The hazing was not as severe but I'm Canadian so perhaps that was a factor? Our cars were not as nice but it anything, that is the best feature of this film, the vehicles. I'm a bit surprised at how well received this film is. I can't see myself ever coming back, or even being convinced to watch it again. The DVD I received for free has hit the garage sale pile. Goodbye.
½ December 17, 2016
I shouldn't like this movie. I usually hate movies that show irresponsible teens causing problems, drinking, smoking, doing drugs and then expecting no repercussions, yet Dazed and Confused is strangely appealing. I can't put my finger on why I like this movie as it holds no fond memories for me (I was a law abiding, drug free, alcohol free teen) or nostalgia that I am able to relate to. The plot is one that normally makes me upset and hate these type of movies (Fast Times at Ridgemont high, etc.) so after contemplating the reason I enjoyed this movie so much the only conclusion I can come up with is how charismatic and likable the actors made the characters seem. Mathew McConaughey is the most likable charismatic loser I have ever seen on screen. Jason London and Sasha Jenson make perfect best friends (they were so good I am surprised they haven't been in more movies) even playing one of the biggest jerks in the history of cinema Ben Affleck makes his character likable. Chalk it up to great direction or just great acting either way Dazed and Confused is just a great movie.
December 16, 2016
Amazing high school coming of age and making smoking pot look cool movie. Lots of funny parts with a heart.
½ December 14, 2016
The final day of the school, but it's just the beginning!

I won't lie that I watched it after I saw 'Everybody Wants Some!!' from the same director. Because I liked that film and I heard that was a spiritual sequel to this one. So there goes my reason. I usually love the 80s and 90s teen films, you can't compare them to what they make now. The film was from the edge of before my generation began, but I'm very related that time than the other end. So I felt very familiar and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The film focused on the final day of the high school. It opened in the afternoon during the final class and followed by night where a party was arranged by the seniors that does not take off after their parents suspected it. Between the freshmen and the seniors, a tradition follows. Some of them escape, but those who got caught, struggles to way out. Not everyone, some make it their best time in high school. So who gets what and how everyone's night turns out revealed in the remaining.

We can see some of the big names of the today's cinema in this 23 year old film. Matthew McCanaughey, Milla Jovovich, Ben Affleck and many more. Though the film never focused one particular character, it was neutral and stayed that way till the end. But it told the story of the final day of the high school about the individuals and their intentions. You do not have to be a youngster to enjoy it, it will work for everybody. So I hope you watch it, especially before to try 'Everybody Wants Some'.

7/10
December 7, 2016
I love this film unconditionally. Although it's set i the 1970's, and goes to quite a bit of care to get the period detail correct, it's timeless in the same way that a film like "American Graffiti" is. It's about youth and the freedom that comes with it. Everybody can identify with something here. It's my favourite of Linklater's work.
½ December 1, 2016
A rare gem! I've never seen a better movie that covers the 70s like this one did so perfectly. Right on spot. The movies plot is empty but somehow the shenanigans carry it all the way to the end without any loss of attention
November 27, 2016
"Dazed and Confused" is a nostalgic trip back to the 1976 and the so-called 'teenage wasteland' that inhabited small suburban towns. Director Richard Linklater gives audiences a solid look into what it was like to be a teenager at that time and explores almost all the stereotypes of its characters. In addition, the film consists of a kick-ass soundtrack and many actors that went on to be A-list celebrities like Ben Affleck and Matthew McConaughey.

The premise of the movie is about the last day of school in a Texas town where the senior boys and girls haze the freshman boys and girls with various forms of punishment and embarrassing acts. The story moves on to follow various characters as their paths cross at a baseball game, the pool hall, and then finally a keg party in the woods. It's a dull plot line with not much substance as the audience essentially just watches the characters get stoned, drink beer, and fight one another.

"Dazed and Confused" is consider one of those "coming-of-age" movies and surely has a massive cult following, and while it's many levels of stupid, it's also a funny, sweet film that captures the era of its time.
November 23, 2016
Somewhat realistic depiction of teen ages in the mid-70s. A bunch of now well-known actors play in this confusing film about nothing. Carrie would almost fit in there. Kids seems quite decent with the usual ones endulging their excessive desires of violence and that get come-upenced. The actors look almost all young enough to be in high school and most of the actions and reactions are very typical of the age. A real flash from the past filmed in 93. DVD included real flashed from the past: crying indian, anti-marihuanna and VD ads that gives the creeps and make you laugh. Ads were not very subtil at the time, and did not involve much thinking most of the time. The anti pot ad was particularly inefficient, must have been made by pot-heads!
November 17, 2016
Dazed and Confused is the definitive coming-of-age movie of the 20th century.
½ November 14, 2016
Life doesn't have the plot. In that respect Richard Linklaters style is on full display here. Late night Friday fun while gettin' blazed in your Winnie!
½ November 13, 2016
American Graffiti much?
November 11, 2016
10 out of 10:

Nostalgic, funny, and filled with entertaining moments, Dazed and Confused makes for one of the best high school movies.
½ October 31, 2016
Just teenagers in rebellion against authority. Long, pointless, and boring. Not funny. No redeeming qualities that I can see except for the good soundtrack, which you can listen to without having to see the movie.
October 20, 2016
One of the more seminal coming-of-age tales in cinema, and arguably one of the best. Now it plays like a who's who of current-day stars, but the cast definitely connects and the nostalgic ambiance remains timeless.