Dead Man's Shoes Reviews

• Jun 02, 2019

Gritty and true to life of many a forgotten working class family in today's britain

• Mar 08, 2019

Simple revenge plot brilliantly executed.

Simple revenge plot brilliantly executed.

• Jan 09, 2019

This great movie is a mix between laugh out loud funny (1st half of movie) and crazy revenge thriller (2nd half). I like that there's partition between the two because imo there's nothing worse than building up stress/tension to have it all deflate because they do something funny. It's a violent film but not as bad as some reviews lead you to believe. The movie watchers with a history of watching way more grimier movies (ie Prisoners) will find this pale in comparison. That doesn't mean that the violence here isn't fun and juicy... it's very satisfying. The acting is phenomenal because it feels like every single character is a normal everyday person, like we're watching some documentary about these people. What a great job at casting. Overall it's very good revenge thriller that's well worth the watch. For "normal" movie watchers who aren't used to seeing such "real" violence onscreen, this film could be a bit shocking.

• Nov 11, 2018

Raw revenge story. Finally a good one.

Raw revenge story. Finally a good one.

• Oct 08, 2018

A rare gem. Shaune meadows once again providing a gripping film, superbly made with a brilliant cast, above all paddy considine and tobby kebbels performance add that special magic to create an English classic.

• Sep 14, 2018

Movie from Shaun Meadows set in a bleak English town as is his wont. Solider returns to his hometown to avenge the avenge the way a gang of men had treated his brother. Whilst he goes on a killing spree terrorising the gang who have since aged although some have not moved on, the story of mistreatment to his brother is told through flashbacks. The leader of the gang is a sadistic bully who is the local drug dealer and ring leader but Richard wants vengeance on everyone involved. The movie borders on the fantastical and particularly the killing spree is largely unbelievable. The lone man who is not convincingly cast is able to terrorise and kill a gang of drug dealers with relative ease. That said the movie does provide a good twist which I did not see coming. There are some tense scenes especially the last one. All in all the storyline is a little far-fetched but its worth the 90 minutes watching.

• Sep 11, 2018

riveting throughout, this has al the contents of four very well earned stars.

riveting throughout, this has al the contents of four very well earned stars.

• Aug 26, 2018

57%???? You all, and that means you heartless cinea-snobs, should feel ashamed of yourselves! 57%... look at was else gets this rating and that's comparable? All juice no pulp I read and others the like. It's not the best thing but 57 fucking percent... absolutely absurd and ridiculous as to put your entire rating system in the bin. I'll never value your rankings ever again.

• Jun 03, 2018

It's not the most smartly written or complex film, but the incredible sense of realism along with its hard-hitting final act leaves you feeling something deep in the pit of your stomach long after the credits have rolled. It's a well-acted (Toby Kebbell nails his part), simple revenge story done in typical British fashion -- dark and gritty.

• Mark W Super Reviewer
    Mar 31, 2018

Five years after their first collaboration on 1999's A Room for Romeo Brass, Paddy Considine and Shane Meadows penned a script together about some of the memories and experiences they remembered from their working-class backgrounds. Although they were obviously embellished, the result led to Dead Man's Shoes - a visceral and uncompromising tale of vengeance that became an instant cult hit and still stands as some of the best work they've ever produced. Plot: Disaffected soldier Richard (Paddy Considine) returns home from military service to his home town in the Midlands with revenge on his mind. While he was away, local thugs and bullies physically and psychologically tortured his mentally challenged brother. Anthony (Toby Kebbell) and Richard intends to make them pay. At first, he toys with the gang and and sets out to just just frighten them but it's not long before he steps up his military guerilla tactics to pick each of them off, one by one. Going by the title and the film poster, I remember my first impression of Dead Man's Shoes being one of a cheap budget slasher. As a result, I avoided it for a few years until I could no longer ignore the positive word-of-mouth that I had been hearing or the rising reputation of its director, Shane Meadows. To be fair, it's a classic case of never judging a book by its cover as it turned out to, not only, be different from my expectations but it surpassed them. Meadows' dark, revenge thriller benefits from his fly-on-the-wall and authentic style of storytelling that comfortably combines the kitchen-sink drama's of Ken Loach with the snare and disturbing elements of horror that Ben Wheatley has become known for. For many, Shane Meadows is a filmmaker that has yet to be uncovered but his most well known film This Is England (and it's resulting TV mini-series') have rightly gained a lot of critical appreciation but it's probably fair to say that he hasn't quite achieved any international recognition. Either way, Meadows always strikes me as a filmmaker that is most comfortable on his own patch and regardless of recognition, I wouldn't change that. His films always have such a genuine ability to capture working-class lifestyles - much like the aforementioned Loach or Mike Leigh. In fact, it's this approach - when combined with a depraved and violent narrative arc - that makes Dead Man's Shoes all the more effective and chilling. The setting, the mood and the characters all feel authentic and Meadows draws some excellent performances from the entire cast, regardless of how small their role. That said, there are three particular performances that really stand out; former British boxer Gary Stretch is hugely effective as the gang's shady leader while Toby Kebbell is remarkably good at capturing the young innocent with learning disabilities that's the catalyst for the mayhem that ensues. All in all, however, the film belongs to Paddy Considine with his dynamic intensity echoing a Taxi Driver era DeNiro. One minute he's tender and loving, the next he's a vengeful and explosive maniac and the role provides Considine the opportunity to express his range to full effect. Although the initial premise may seem a little far-fetched, the delivery of it is certainly not. This is raw and unflinching filmmaking that has a palpable feeling of dread and danger throughout its entirety. It's also not a simple as the vigilante premise would suggest. Meadows toys with our perspective of sympathy by allowing us to get close to the three-dimensional characters and never makes any black-and-white judgements. It's this approach that brings a genuine sense unpredictability in how the film plays out. A dark, compelling and thoroughly satisfying thriller that benefits from measured pacing, a solid cast and a searing central performance from the hugely talented Considine. Shane Meadows is one the boldest English directors working at present and this is arguably his best film to date. What may seem like a formulaic revenge story results in a complex psychological parable that packs a genuine punch. Mark Walker