Dean Spanley (My Talks with Dean Spanley) Reviews

• May 18, 2016

I love this film, whimsical is the perfect description but with some serious issues hidden in the whimsy. A great cast make acting look so easy, Peter O'Toole is sublime. But Jeremy Northam, the always underrated Sam Neil and the quiet scene stealing of Bryan Brown make this a joy to watch.

• Mar 22, 2016

Definitely a great movie if you love the whimsical and offbeat. Gotta love English movies and or Oscar Wilde like quipps to enjoy this one.

• Mar 07, 2015

Netflix pick of the week. If you have wondered why men are often called dogs, check out this quirky tale about past lives lived. You may become a believer.

• Feb 15, 2015

At the beginning, this movie seemed to me rather bland, slow. Also I was biased against the premise of transmigration of souls as a part of reincarnation. However, this was not an attempt to teach such a thing, but was a vehicle for the expression of wonderful thoughts and insights. However, I decided to stick with it and it then rolled me up inside it and I couldn't leave it. The screen writer for this must be a genius, it was told so well. The actors were superb. I was riveted. It was titillatingly funny, yet so deep into the roots of human heart and soul that I sobbed a bit. Wrung me out. Realized I might have missed some nuances (there are many) spread along the path of this great film, so I watched it again next day to see if I missed something, and to better understand the final scenes. I find a lot of movies so banal - this engaged my mind and heart, a great one-two punch, I think. Will buy this so I can watch it again whenever I want.

• Jan 10, 2015

One of the most heartwarming chamber pieces ever made.

One of the most heartwarming chamber pieces ever made.

• Dec 21, 2014

a humorous, gentle, whimsical story about the journey of souls and a father and son's reconciliation. I watched it four times over the years, and each time find more humor and more wisdom in it. Perfect for this season.

• Dec 06, 2014

wonderful film. very different and so beautifully told, acted and made. one of those magical small movies that deal with large themes.

• Dec 05, 2014

Better than it should be, given an exceedingly sentimentalist ending.

Better than it should be, given an exceedingly sentimentalist ending.

• Nov 20, 2014

Once again Peter O'Toole has treated filmgoers to a scenery-chewing but oddly subtle performance in this oddly touching film. It probably will appeal to people who have loved and lost dogs more than to those who haven't but watching the evolution of Horatio Fisk from a consistently grumpy and unpleasant geezer to a man who finally manages to resolve relationships with a lost dog, a dead son, and a living one from whom he has maintained distance, is a real treat.

• Oct 05, 2014

An enjoyable romp with powerful performances and interesting psychology. Almost a stage drama in its simplicity, the dialogue is more important than the action. Totally implausible and wonderfully cathartic. O'Toole plays the eccentric elderly gentleman to perfection.