The Departed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Departed Reviews

½ August 16, 2017
Usually a complex film would encounter a complication upon being viewed, and it would get a little more difficult from there to achieve greatness that was envisioned. Scorsese easily achieved greatness with his elegant taste of filmmaking from emphasis to casting of fully-embodied characters to twist-building narrative. A genuine classic and worthy Best Picture winner as the director's best yet. (A)

(Full review TBD)
August 14, 2017
Great movie, never get tired of it. Thrilling ganster drama with an oustanding cast.
August 3, 2017
'The Departed' is a surreal and one of a kind thriller. A mole within a mole. A hero and an anti-hero. A masterfully crafted movie with pacing that's not often seen on screen -- it expands the story and the tension between characters for every minute that passes and it is a powerful, relatable and humane movie. We follow characters and their struggles in life regarding decisions they have to face along the way, and they are all visualized by a stunning cast with at least five big Hollywood stars! Some lacking character depth is a truth to some, but it's overall a very deep movie into who we are deep down. The story takes unexpected turns over and over and goes deeper into the mess that we already are in. Add surreal action-sequences and a terrifying antagonist -- 'The Departed' is something extra among other thrillers!

Personal rating: 85/100
Critical rating: 95/100
July 30, 2017
Thanks Martin. I mean it.
July 20, 2017
Can't say anything bad about it, I respect it like a father-figure.
½ July 14, 2017
The Departed was a very strong film with an impressive cast and an action-packed plot which drove the film along at a great speed. Interesting characters with their own arcs, and a brilliant chase to find each mole within the others' department meant there was always something to keep an eye on. No surprise to see it win the Best Picture Oscar.
July 12, 2017
This film was invoking the second i started viewing. The acting of the cast was my most applauded pro of the film. I dearly loved the twists and turns that led to a SPEACTACULAR end... although, some things at the end really churned me. i grew satisfied with the last shot fired... all in all. beautiful..
July 8, 2017
What movie; From acting to the genial direction of the Scorsese genius. Second time I watch and see that the addition of this movie is very good; The beginning going back and forth with the flashbacks worked out too; Did not leave messy; The script is great for not being able to say more. DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson and Matt Damon very good but Mark Wahlberg steals the scene when my God appears; What about the soundtrack; excellent; Especially the one in which the string instrument stands out; Very good; It's not the best of Scorsese but it's still good!
June 21, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Many feel there's often a distinction between the idea of a great movie and a personal favourite, but I happen to disagree. Why? Well in order for one to find a film extremely engaging and enjoyable there has to be a reason, and where one of my all-time favourites is concerned - 'The Departed' - those successes shine very strongly indeed. Yes this film is one that truly hooks you and wraps you up in the world of these characters and their stories to the extent that you can't take your eyes of the screen, and that's down to a whole host of great things.
Now mainly of course the credit here lies in the hands of Scorsese himself, as he directs this with all the grit, heart and tension you'd expect to entirely absorb you into every single frame. Also though, it would be positively criminal to not mention the cast who all do absolutely brilliant jobs in their respective roles, or the editing and use of music which gives everything just the right amount of breathing space and energy to keep you in the loop.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Nothing. This is practically a perfect movie.
VERDICT: 'The Departed' is one of the best, and one of my favourite movies of all time. Scorsese out-does himself again, and he and his team deserve every award that this thing received.
½ June 13, 2017
Yet another movie where my favorite Leo dies. Just such a well acted movie that draws you in from the first scene until the last. I watch it every year.
June 11, 2017
the directing is as we've come to expect from a titan like Scorsese, the script is flawless, with the gritty boston-set profane-filled dialogue William monahan delivers an outstanding piece of material. matt damon and leo dicaprio give excellent performances as damon plays sullivan unvillainously villainous, the well rounded group of characters just adds to the plot even further, in the end the departed is a masterpiece of he genre, and scorsese once again outdone himself again.
June 6, 2017
One of those movies that has everything, action, romance, drama, great acting super good looking men!!
June 2, 2017
One of my all-time favorite crime dramas. Scorsese scores in this depiction of the Boston law enforcements efforts to tackle the Boston mobs. First half sets the stage for an epic ending.
½ June 1, 2017
amazing film with twists and turns that were not predictable a real plot a real story and real charators and the acting is outstanding
May 20, 2017
One of the greatest mobster movies ever made. That is saying a lot.
April 26, 2017
Literally my most favourite movie
April 26, 2017
It may not be better than GoodFellas, but it sure as hell is Scorsese's 2nd best film!
April 24, 2017
Good but not enough for my expectations anyway :/
½ April 19, 2017
Mark Wahlberg is annoying in this movie and so is Matt Damon.
½ April 16, 2017
I found this movie very exciting until near the finish where I felt it just lacked something. It was anti-climatic. It was such a good story that perhaps I expected too much at the end. Regardless, it has big actors, lots of action, and is worth a look.