The Departed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Departed Reviews

June 21, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Many feel there's often a distinction between the idea of a great movie and a personal favourite, but I happen to disagree. Why? Well in order for one to find a film extremely engaging and enjoyable there has to be a reason, and where one of my all-time favourites is concerned - 'The Departed' - those successes shine very strongly indeed. Yes this film is one that truly hooks you and wraps you up in the world of these characters and their stories to the extent that you can't take your eyes of the screen, and that's down to a whole host of great things.
Now mainly of course the credit here lies in the hands of Scorsese himself, as he directs this with all the grit, heart and tension you'd expect to entirely absorb you into every single frame. Also though, it would be positively criminal to not mention the cast who all do absolutely brilliant jobs in their respective roles, or the editing and use of music which gives everything just the right amount of breathing space and energy to keep you in the loop.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Nothing. This is practically a perfect movie.
VERDICT: 'The Departed' is one of the best, and one of my favourite movies of all time. Scorsese out-does himself again, and he and his team deserve every award that this thing received.
½ June 13, 2017
Yet another movie where my favorite Leo dies. Just such a well acted movie that draws you in from the first scene until the last. I watch it every year.
June 11, 2017
the directing is as we've come to expect from a titan like Scorsese, the script is flawless, with the gritty boston-set profane-filled dialogue William monahan delivers an outstanding piece of material. matt damon and leo dicaprio give excellent performances as damon plays sullivan unvillainously villainous, the well rounded group of characters just adds to the plot even further, in the end the departed is a masterpiece of he genre, and scorsese once again outdone himself again.
June 6, 2017
One of those movies that has everything, action, romance, drama, great acting super good looking men!!
June 2, 2017
One of my all-time favorite crime dramas. Scorsese scores in this depiction of the Boston law enforcements efforts to tackle the Boston mobs. First half sets the stage for an epic ending.
½ June 1, 2017
amazing film with twists and turns that were not predictable a real plot a real story and real charators and the acting is outstanding
May 20, 2017
One of the greatest mobster movies ever made. That is saying a lot.
April 26, 2017
Literally my most favourite movie
April 26, 2017
It may not be better than GoodFellas, but it sure as hell is Scorsese's 2nd best film!
April 24, 2017
Good but not enough for my expectations anyway :/
½ April 19, 2017
Mark Wahlberg is annoying in this movie and so is Matt Damon.
½ April 16, 2017
I found this movie very exciting until near the finish where I felt it just lacked something. It was anti-climatic. It was such a good story that perhaps I expected too much at the end. Regardless, it has big actors, lots of action, and is worth a look.
½ April 5, 2017
Really fast paced. So fast paced that I had to rewind it to catch the dialog. Some of this movie is hilarious. Jack Nicholson deserved his awards for it. Sometimes Leo over acts but I still enjoyed watching him. Matt Damon was okay.
April 5, 2017
A brilliant film from start to finish. Truly gripping. A must see.
½ March 28, 2017
Really engaging film! Only wish that Vera's character had more of a purpose than just being a one dimensional love interest between Damon and Dicaprio.
½ March 24, 2017
Another hit by Martin Scorsese, the best since Goodfellas.
March 20, 2017
Very gory, but twists and turns and action around every corner.
March 20, 2017
Not Scorsese's best film at all, and definately wasn't good enough to win the best film oscar when compared to the likes of 'Taxi Driver', 'Raging Bull' and 'Goodfellas'. It was rather boring in all honesty, overly long and didn't have any of the energy that 'Infernal Affairs' had. Didn't care about any of the characters who all came across as horrible souless human beings. Didn't really have to be made. Scorsese deserved the awards he got, but for other more credible projects than this.
March 18, 2017
Fantastic movie with a great cast and amazing story telling. 5/5
½ March 7, 2017
Great concept. So longgg, but the gripping story keeps you watching.