The Departed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Departed Reviews

July 21, 2016
I decided to celebrate the Summer Solstice by watching 'The Departed'. Don't ask me why. I had previously loved the Hong Kong-made 'Infernal Affairs' trilogy on which this is based. Usually I hate when international masterpieces get remade, but this was a sterling exception. This was controversial when it took in a cartload of Oscars, particularly finally a directorial nod for Scorsese, but don't be misled--it's easily one of his finest works.

This is my Golden Rule on both remakes in general, but especially American remakes of international (particularly foreign-language) great films. When in doubt, check the label:

1. Director? (check)
2. Cast? (check)
3. Script? (check)

'The proof is in the pudding!'
July 21, 2016
****
Already considered a modern-day classic, this Scorsese movie is one of his best, featuring great performances from everyone involved and a twisty-turny screenplay that's vastly entertaining, all backed up with his unique style
July 19, 2016
One of the best thrillers I've ever seen in my life!!!
July 18, 2016
Scorsese's best film.
½ July 12, 2016
Hell of a good movie. The best movie ever!!!
½ July 11, 2016
Just a crazy, crazy movie. The concept is so interesting but yet so amazingly executed in such an intense an intriguing fashion. Everyone involved in this movie shined in it. This is my favourite Leo movie.
July 10, 2016
With outstanding performances from DiCaprio and Nicholson, The Departed is a fantastic crime drama with a perfect blend of grit, humour and reality.
½ July 9, 2016
The only real problem is the writing and the story, because we are aware of both moles from the beginning. I would have preferred to find out later. And it's a little too long, they don't make great use of their time. Pretty much everything else is great. Disappointing work from Scorcese. I don't think it deserved best picture. Maybe just a nomination, at best.
July 9, 2016
The greatest success of the actors is their ability to make an extremely complex story make sense with believable and relatable character arcs. Scorsese's greatest accomplishment is making a neo-noir with such style and energy that it turns what could've been a generic gangster film into one of the most enjoyable and passionate experiences ever to be in the genre.
July 2, 2016
A tale of two cops, though on different sides of the law. Colin Sullivan (played by Matt Damon) is a Massachusetts State police detective. He has risen through the ranks to head up a special department. Public Enemy Number 1 is Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson), a crime network kingpin, and the Sullivan's main target. However, Sullivan is a paid informant for Costello, giving him tip-offs on police raids and other useful information. Meanwhile, Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) works for Costello. However, he is actually an undercover policeman, spying on Costello. In due course, both know that there is a rat in their organisation, but don't know their identity. A deadly cat-and-mouse game ensues, with both trying to uncover the other without being discovered themselves.

Brilliant crime-drama from master director Martin Scorsese. Slick, clever, watertight plot. The symmetry and interdependence of the two adversaries makes for a very intriguing story and nail-biting situations. Often they have a piece of the puzzle but to get the complete picture and identify the mole they have to break their own cover, creating some very tense situations.

Some great character-based drama too, especially involving Costigan. The love triangle involving Madolyn (Vera Farmiga) was a nice touch.

The Departed is an adaptation of the Hong Kong crime-drama Infernal Affairs. Similar plots but The Departed has deeper characters, more interesting sub-plots and wittier dialogue. For these reasons I rate The Departed higher than Infernal Affairs.

Historic movie too in that it gave Scorsese his first Oscar, at last. After six nominations previously with no award, he won Best Director for The Departed. When you look at what he was previously nominated for - Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, among others - and consider those he should have been nominated for - Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy - then you have to consider him incredibly unlucky. That, or the Academy doesn't like him.

On the subject of people the Academy doesn't like, Leanardo DiCaprio puts in a great performance as Costigan. His was the more difficult of the two lead roles, as Costigan was a much more complex character than Sullivan. Matt Damon hardly had to stretch himself for his role. Sadly, though not unsurprisingly considering DiCaprio's history with the Oscars, DiCaprio didn't even get an Oscar nomination for his efforts.

Mark Wahlberg did get a nomination, as Best Supporting Actor. He puts in a good performance as the over-the-top, obnoxious, no-nonsense Staff Sergeant Dignam. It's debatable whether the nomination was deserved. The performance does stand out, however, due to the colourfulness of the character.

Remaining cast is pretty much an all-star one and includes Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Vera Farmiga and Ray Winstone. All of them deliver in spades, as do the minor players.

A 21st century classic.
July 2, 2016
Brilliant, thrilling and different even in 2016
June 29, 2016
I'm reliable. -Mr French
June 25, 2016
A goddamn masterpiece, one of Scorsese's best, if not the best one, everything is so freaking well done, the script is awesome, the performances are unbelievable, the cinematography beautiful, personally I love it.
June 23, 2016
Maybe this shouldn't have been the movie that should have won Martin Scorsese's first best director oscar but it sure as hell is amazing
June 22, 2016
This one is top notch and well deserving the of the 4 Oscars it took home. Story is an undercover state cop who's infiltrated the Irish mob in Boston and a mole in the police working for the same mob race to track down and identify each other before being exposed to the enemy. Keeps you on edge to see who will come out on top the entire film right until the end. DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholson, and Wahlberg all give immaculate performances. Right up there with Casino and Goodfellas as one of Scorsese's best.
½ June 18, 2016
The Departed is a very entertaining movie with a fun story, terrific performances from its great cast and some quite memorable sequences, but it is still an incredibly clichéd gangster flick with typical characters and a very formulaic plot. It is also overlong as it should have been shorter for at least half an hour. But it is still surprisingly solid and entertaining.
½ June 12, 2016
Scorsese delivers another excellent movie featuring a constantly changing plot and great performances by DiCaprio, Nicholson, and Damon.
June 8, 2016
Unbelievable film. This is my favorite Scorsese film that I've seen however I think it's mainly because of the performances by its leads, specifically Matt Damon, DiCaprio, and Nicholson
½ June 4, 2016
Really engaging film!
½ May 26, 2016
One of my favorite movies