Dig! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dig! Reviews

September 1, 2016
I loved it! Dig! gave me a whole new appreciation for both bands and the musical genius that is Anton Newcombe and the patient efforts and perseverance of the hardworking Courtney Taylor. I will certainly be listening to these bands on repeat for the next couple weeks, maybe months... What an awesome mini revolution we had in alternative rock in the late '90s. Who knew!
April 3, 2016
I don't know that I've ever given a movie a "5" star rating, but I have to in this case. It is honestly one of the best documentaries on music that I have ever seen. You really don't have to be a fan of either of these bands to enjoy this movie. It's really a testament of the incredible depth of these two bands. Their triumphs, and defeats, and the insidious relationships that record labels have with their talent. It's well, well, worth the watch.
½ March 8, 2016
This documentary is the best of its kind.
June 21, 2015
One of the most fascinating music documentaries I've seen, DiG! Is an unflinching, sometimes funny and insightful chronicle of the tumultuous relationship between The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre, as well as a dissection of the turbulent American rock band lifestyle. Think of a darker, real life spinal tap for the 90s music scene.
March 2, 2015
The best Rock Doc ever!!
October 21, 2014
Excellent documentary about The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols!
March 30, 2014
i never wanted to stop watching this. could have been 2x as long.
September 9, 2013
A great documentary. makes you want to pick up any instrument and start writing.
½ May 22, 2013
Interesting and very well-made.
May 14, 2013
If you're a performer this movie'll teach you how to not be a dumb shithead and actually get things done. Just do the exact opposite of Anton Newcombe (Oh, and be talented).
½ April 23, 2013
Anton Newcombe - my new hero! More hilarious than Spinal Tap, showing that even when you have the talent, there's no accounting on what an ego can do in destroying your chances
December 7, 2012
Im going to dig, have a dig at this!
June 17, 2012
An absolutely fascinating and at times hillarious train crash of a rock doc with great music from BJM which is aped by the Dandy Warhols never to be anywhere near as good. Dues to them for more or less admitting this. Anton may well be a fucked up musical genius.
May 13, 2012
I love this movie. It's not for the mainstream. I got every ounce I could find of BJM after I saw this. I remember seeing their flyers in SF in the early 90's.
May 9, 2012
One of the most interesting docs I've ever seen about a group of fuck ups.
½ May 5, 2012
Its fun to watch the downward spiral of mad geniuses.
April 1, 2012
In every spiritual tradition, you burn in hell for pretending to be God and not being able to back it up!

If you're not a fan of the Dandy Warhols or Brian Jonestown Massacre, you probably won't be a fan of this.

The Story: A documentary charting the fame and rivalry of iconic indie rockers Brian Jonestown Massacre and Dandy Warhols. This is a great feature for any fan of either band, or even indie fans looking to expand their view on the genre. It's an interesting look into the lives of each band, although you get more Brian Jonestown Massacre than Dandy Warhols.

The Cast: Brian Jonestown Massacre, Dandy Warhols... It's hard to write a review of this for the simple fact that each band has several members and because there were several interviews from people in the music industry. Brian Jonestown Massacre is the band you're going to see the most in this film. You'll definitely "love to hate them, and hate to love them", as they're a dysfunctional band writing great music but struggling to get picked up by anyone other than the cops. You'll spend most of your time watching Brian Jonestown Massacre front man Anton Newcombe sabotage the band with his unflinching arrogance. Anyone with a low tolerance for arrogance will absolutely hate this man. You won't see as much from Dandy Warhols, but you still get a good look at the band, as founder Courtney Taylor-Taylor narrates the film. Dandy Warhols are the more carefree, less dysfunctional, and more successful of the two bands. Getting picked up by a major label, shooting videos and touring while doing what they love, for the people that love them. The viewer will be amazed by the fact that even though this band was taken advantage of and abused by Brian Jonestown Massacre, they don't hold a grudge, and still love the music of they're dysfunctional rivals.

One to Five Scale: 5

If you're not a fan of indie rock than you can knock that score down to 2.

If you're not a fan of Dandy Warhols or Brian Jonestown Massacre but are interested in or like indie rock you can knock that score down to 3.

If you're a fan of either or both bands, than this is a must see film and gets my highest recommendations.

½ March 6, 2012
Truly a fascinating documentary. If you're interested in rock music, it's worth watching. The subject is more interesting perhaps than the documentary itself, but that definitely says something about what's going on in this film. Both bands become alternate realities in a way, unto each other: the Dandies become successful but are never that compelling, while BJM wallows in infamy, constantly diluted by drugs, pride, and anger. It's really a fascinating look at the music industry in the 1990s, which still holds prescience now. Well worth a viewing.
February 7, 2012
Fairly cool, however drags on a bit and becomes very predictable when it soon obvious what does come out of it. Also good in it's unbiased approach and how chops from band to band, and demystifies each otf their opinions. Worth a look even if you don't know either band, however expect to be a little bored an hour into it.
December 17, 2011
Incredible documentary about one insatiable rivalry, two fascinating bands, several independently funded albums and a whole lot of Dope.