Digging For Fire Reviews

• Oct 06, 2018

Swanberg seems to have a found the perfect formula for making an indie film. Good cast + good script + good camerawork + good editing = good movie. Digging for Fire is a elegant tale of marriage and the struggles of identifying who are as we all inevitably change. Its pretty good.

• Oct 01, 2018

what a fucking waste of time. i watched it only becuase Orlando Bloom was in it back when i was in that fanclub. and wow what is this movie even about? nothing made any sense and it bored me half to death

• Feb 23, 2018

Strengths: I keep watching Joe Swanberg movies, mostly because of the casts he puts together. Jake Johnson (Tim), Anna Kendrick (Alicia), Brie Larson (Max), and Orlando Bloom (Ben) are all people I mostly enjoy. Rosemarie Dewitt (Lee) was also pretty solid as the wife here. I liked how the story moved back and forth between Lee and Tim, giving each enough time to build a story, without staying in one place to long. I did really enjoy the simultaneous "dates" of sorts between Tim/Max and Lee/Ben. Weaknesses: Though he always has a great cast, Swanberg movies never fully click with me. There's a slowness about them that loses me at points. It feels very similar to his other movies, which is understandable, but they're all too familiar by this point. I also felt that some of the cast was underutilized. Kendrick is usually great in his films, but she barely had anything to work with here. And again, a Swanberg comedy film mostly fails to make me laugh. It's disappointing. Overall: Like every other Joe Swanberg picture I've seen, this one lacks a lot. It has all the ingredients to stand out, especially with the cast, but really just misses the mark for the most part. There's a good story in there, it just doesn't get done in the best possible way.

• Sep 15, 2017

I love Joe Swanberg's work, because he seems to understand the importance of the truth in a human moment; whether that moment be a literal second in time, or a period in someone's life. This is a beautiful story, powered by compassionate direction and strong performances, about marriage, love, maturity, impatience, procrastination, growth, and realization of self. Some of Swanberg's finest work.

• Feb 07, 2017

just so slow. I may come back to it one day if I have literally nothing else to do.

• Dec 31, 2016

Great cast & directing, a horrible plot that goes nowhere

Great cast & directing, a horrible plot that goes nowhere

• Oct 10, 2016

This is the third mundane comedy I've seen this week. The quality of movies has clearly decreased especially when it comes to comedies. Digging For Fire was so boring, barely funny, and completely pointless.

• Aug 13, 2016

Another good movie from Joe Swanberg. He's a master of mumblecore, movies that are more about the weird conversations than the plot. An interesting cast has some fun conversations. I enjoyed it.

• Apr 03, 2016

Every scene involves talk about bad marriages. But it's all on the outside. Music+

• Mar 04, 2016

Yet another star-studded, light mumblecore comedy from writer-director Joe Swanberg. There is no clear narrative structure and it's certainly not a groundbreaking film, but it is gracefully crafted and emotionally satisfying at the end. Digging for Fire is a neat little dramedy.