Disneynature: Penguins Reviews

• Jul 24, 2019

One of the best DisneyNature films so far. Not quite as awesome as Born in China, African Cats, or Bears (my 3 personal favorites), but a solid 4th place showing is nothing to sneeze at, and everyone who's a fan of these movies like I am is bound to love Penguins too.

• Jul 17, 2019

This adorable film is the fourteenth Disneynature documentary and follows the parenting adventures of an Adélie penguin named Steve. He lives in the icy Antarctic where he finds a life partner and starts a family. Directed by Alastair Fothergill and Jeff Wilson, Penguins is a great mix of documentary and storytelling. It is educational and funny, and a great family movie about these pretty creatures who are also gracious and noble animals. The visuals are stunning. The camera follows Steve before his baby penguins are born and shows how male penguins are key in taking care of their babies. Steve takes turns with mama penguin to hatch eggs, and this is an example of great parenting. Once babies are born, he feeds them and teaches them how to survive. The cinematography by Rolf Steinmann creates a fascinating journey captured by a very creative and professional crew of nature lovers. There are underwater scenes as well. I love the scenes where we discover the process of baby penguins turning into adults; not just for the changes in how they are fed, but also for everything the babies have to face going into adulthood. Other important characters are killer whales and leopard seals. They are beautiful creatures but represent big danger for the small, clumsy penguins. I love the humor in this film. The narration by Ed Helms makes this film entertaining and funny while providing a lot of information. Is not overwhelming or extremely scientific; instead, it is an engaging comedy, fueled with relevant and interesting information about animals, survival and nature. The message of the film is that parenthood is a shared responsibility. I recommend Penguins for ages 4 to 16. Penguins opened nationwide on April 17, 2019 -- seeing it is a great way to celebrate Earth Day. Disneynature was announced on April 21, 2008, a day before Earth Day and its films make a wonderful contribution of films teaching us about the planet we live on. Reviewed by Zoe C., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, visit kidsfirst dot org.

• Jun 29, 2019

Ed Helms gives Steve and his fellow Adélie penguins a humorous and cheerful voice and personality that really made their story in the freezing gorgeous landscape of the arctic quite relatable. Its amazing to see what the film crew has to go through to get these stories told.

• ILENE B
    Jun 22, 2019

Adorable movie. I'm glad that Steve's offspring was able to get away from being the dinner for the seal. I Love Penguins!!

• Coloradomommy
    Jun 14, 2019

I love this movie! I learned so much and Im almost 40! My 6 year old was enthralled and captivated the whole time. There is a sad part with the leopard seals so keep that in mind. I covered her face for that. Overall 5/5!

• Jun 03, 2019

Fun family movie so cute!

Fun family movie so cute!

• May 31, 2019

educational and very entertaining

educational and very entertaining

• Leah
    May 30, 2019

It was a fantastic field trip movie to see with a wide age range of students!

It was a fantastic field trip movie to see with a wide age range of students!

• May 26, 2019

• Stephen
    May 26, 2019

It was a nice movie to watch with my 10 year old son who loves penguins.

It was a nice movie to watch with my 10 year old son who loves penguins.