Do the Right Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Do the Right Thing Reviews

May 20, 2018
A remarkable, surprising, discomfiting film. A simple story told brilliantly.
April 12, 2018
Spike Lee gives us a realistic look at racial tensions in Brooklyn.
½ March 28, 2018
A Fantastic Movie on racism in New York on the hottest day of the year this movie keeps you thinking. I personally think Mookie threw the trash can into the store so that he could save Sal's life because everyone was already on him getting mad at him.
March 4, 2018
A classic, must-watch movie.
February 24, 2018
Kudos for Lee to address this problem, it does raise awareness and will also remind us that we need to prevent these sort of things from happening in our community if we want to be free to pursue happiness.

However, the struggles of race relations seemed over simplified, but I guess that is a necessary when dealing with this complex subject. The actions seemed rash, but then again I do not know what living in Brooklyn is really like. I also do not think that lives are as simple as they are in this film.

On a another point, by making the cops the killers it seemed to miss the point. Why did he not make the death a result of the riot rather than the cops? Then it would have been a product of the problem rather than one of the reasons behind it. I guess he was trying to bring up the fact that cops also have a racist flair about them and that they are rarely impartial. But that paints society as having no good moral compass to judge others and it opens a whole other can of worms.

1001 movies to see before you die.
February 2, 2018
DO THE RIGHT THING is a masterful piece of filmmaking and on top of that, it is one of the most important American movies made in modern times. It is also the best movie about race relations ever made- Spike Lee has made not only a miraculous film that is so good in the way it understands typical, everyday situations, but the importance of this film to America as a country is so great that it cannot really be described other than using the word essential.

The movie is about a day in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn in New York City where racial tensions between a group of black people and an Italian-American pizzeria owner (who stayed behind when the neighborhood became more African-American dominated over time) explode to the point of violence. The way the film plays out these details is flawless- there isn't a mistake in storytelling, acting or writing in this movie.

This film should be screened in middle and high schools all around the country. This is a movie of unity, of communication. Forget movies like CRASH and FREEDOM WRITERS- such sensitve subject matter needs a very, very powerful entity to speak out about it- and DO THE RIGHT THING is just that.

Thank you, Spike Lee. You have done a great thing by making this movie.
½ December 28, 2017
Do the Right Thing is fantastic as both social commentary and entertainment. Acting is perfect, and this launched a lot of careers because of it. It's style is unmistakable and I'm always jammin' to the PE. But the #1 reason that this joint stands up is because it understands everybody's perspective pretty ruthlessly, pits them in the perfect situation where all the bullshit we use to cover up our real feelings won't stand anymore and we gotta work out our differences. It's not a happy ending, and it's not a sad ending, because it doesn't stop when the credits roll.
October 11, 2017
Cinematography was fun, acting was great, and a thought-provoking plot.
August 27, 2017
This Turned 25 Years Old In 2014.
August 26, 2017
A remarkable film that offers a very funny slice of life in a black neighborhood of Brooklyn before reaching an explosive ending that forces us to consider the implications of racism and violence in American society (even if the conclusion is too ambiguous for its own good).
August 16, 2017
A tour de force that gets better on 2nd and 3rd viewing.
August 10, 2017
The most nuanced, human film depicting modern racism.
August 2, 2017
This movie is exceptional. Lee's hard hitting film realistically hits race relations, discrimination, police brutality and all the other strong messages that rang true in the late 80's and unfortunately still in 2017. "Are we gonna live together..together?"
½ July 9, 2017
With an array of interesting characters, Do the Right Thing is one of Spike Lee's best films as its true message is fully realised at the end.
July 8, 2017
Clothing, music, and neighborhoods may change but Lee's masterpiece will always remain relevant.
June 11, 2017
It's that good. It takes on an original perspective on race and tensions creating an amazing watch
May 30, 2017
I wasn't sure what I thought the first time I saw the film. Every time I have watched it since, I've loved it a little bit more.
May 29, 2017
Wife was excited to see this and made us watch it. Then she promptly fell asleep while I watched the whole thing. She was right though.
½ May 23, 2017
Entertaining, funny, and honest, Do The Right Thing is a vibrantly colored piece that still strikes a chord with audiences today.
May 20, 2017
One of the greatest of all American movies. This highly charged, landmark drama from writer-director Spike Lee, his third feature, is the best movie ever made about race relations in America. Set on a hot summer day in a multi-ethnic Brooklyn neighborhood, Bedford-Stuyvesant, a series of skirmishes throughout the community, caused by racial tension, lead to an outbreak of violence at an Italian pizzeria. Lee's approach is both confrontational and evenhanded, but also remarkably funny. He juxtaposes direct-to-camera addresses as characters express various racial and ethnic prejudices, to us and each other. The provocative ending was controversial for its ambiguity but made all the more powerful for it. There are several allusions made to real-life, contemporary race related incidents. Following the Rodney King riots, the movie would appear even more prescient today. Superb cinematography with a vibrant red and yellow background by Ernest Dickerson. Music by the director's father, Bill Lee. Hip hop artists Public Enemy contributed the militant anthem, "Fight the Power," that is played during the opening title sequence and throughout the movie. With Danny Aiello as Sal, the owner of the pizzeria; Spike Lee as Mookie; Richard Edson and John Turturro as Sal's sons; Rosie Perez; Bill Nunn as Radio Raheem; Ossie Davis as Da Mayor; Ruby Dee as Mother Sistser; Paul Benjamin; Frankie Faison; Robin Harris; Joie Lee; Samuel L. Jackson; and Martin Lawrence. Selected for preservation by the National Film Registry.