Dogtown and Z-Boys Reviews

• May 09, 2020

I hated this movie. Proof that Heath Ledger only did one good film before he killed himself to live.(Dark Knight)

• Jun 12, 2016

Excellent documentary about the skating subculture of the 70s.

Excellent documentary about the skating subculture of the 70s.

• Mar 23, 2016

An interesting look into a small part of American culture, that was extremely important to those involved. Despite a small budget, it is smartly directed by one of their own.

• Mar 09, 2015

All we wanted to do is skate. In the early 70s on the California coastline where Venice Beach now resides used to be slummy area where kids had to make the most of what little they had. When surfing wasn't cool, kids used to surf in the rough parts of the coastline; and when they couldn't surf, they picked up skateboarding, but did it like surfers. Most of the next gen skateboarding we now see in x-games was born as skateboarding started getting stylish, complex, and intense. A new wave sweeps the country. "This is concrete warfare." Stacy Peralta, director of Riding Giants, When Disaster Strikes, American Teenagers Growing Up on Television, and Crips and Bloods: Made in America, delivers Dogtown and Z-Boys. The premise for this documentary is very cool and well done. I was thoroughly impressed by the photographs and quality of the video from the 70s on display in this picture. I also loved the number of originals skaters this film contained. "This was the last great sea side slum." I was looking at Sean Penn pictures on Netflix and decided this film he narrated may be interesting. I gave it a shot and was thoroughly impressed by this documentary. I loved the premise and tale and its one of those coming of age movies you just want to know more and more about. It is sad and triumphant at the same time. I strongly recommend viewing this gem. "It was dirty. It was filthy. It was paradise." Grade: A

• Oct 18, 2014

Documentário sobre a turma californiana que desencadeou a ressurreição do skate é muito mais valioso em termos visuais do que informativos. Ou seja, aqui temos uma hora e meia muito bem passada a ver as manobras altamente inspiradas de uns quantos miúdos em cima de um skate. Impossível mesmo é ignorar a soul e a poesia que Jay Adams deu à segunda vaga do skate e o documentário é muito dele também.

• Sep 24, 2014

A highly interesting, engaging, informative documentary that successfully gives viewers a VIP pass into the brotherhood and allows them to adopt the refreshing "F U" attitude.

• Aug 18, 2014

Great doco! Enjoyed it even more then the movie r.i.p Jay Adams

Great doco! Enjoyed it even more then the movie r.i.p Jay Adams

• Aug 02, 2014

S Solid documentary about edgey kids who first surf then skate in the face of the american dream. sadly some of the youngest and most gifted succumb to the lure of drugs while others become slaves to the crass marketing of their go for broke instincts. few come out on top. but the die is cast and fruit of it all is the new national pastime, skateboarding (the New York Times notes that "it was once considered a snub to authority. Now, however, skateboarding has its own summer camps, video games, magazines [actually it always had these] and corporate sponsors.") commercialism co-opts another kid birthed cultural node.

• Jul 16, 2014

I saw Lords of Dogtown when it first came out in theaters, but I have never seen the documentary, Dogtown and Z-Boys, which inspired that movie to be made. It's a pretty good documentary that gives a very good thorough history on skateboarding and how the Z-Boys kind of revolutionized the sport and modernized it. I would have liked to see the movie get a bit more into talking about the individual kid's lives, but there were quite a few of them so I understand why they didn't. All in all it's a good documentary although I think it is a bit too overrated by most people.

• Jun 20, 2014

For me to give 5 stars to a movie it has to be a very something special....a movie that I can and have watched many times. First off the soundtrack is awesome.... the movies historical significance is only important if your into x sports , but when it comes to skateboarding these guys were the sh&%. Director and writer Stacy Peralta lived it so his angle on this story is honest and true. The last reason for me is that I grew up in this neighborhood (Venice California where the debris meets the sea) during this time so when I see the places that these guys skated ,it immerses me in a way no other movie can ....One of my top 10 favs for sure..