Reviews

• Oct 11, 2016

While it's not the greatest Hammer Dracula movie, it's a very accessible and fun entry. Absent in the last film, Christopher Lee is back and brings everything we expect of him. The sets, costumes, and directing are all top notch. The highlight of the film is the bloody resurrection scene.

• Oct 05, 2016

Christopher Lee returns for his second outing as the famed vampire, in Hammer's third entry in their Dracula series, while the film is solid enough with plenty of atmosphere and a decent (though simple) plot, it is a bit of a shame that Lee never says a word in the entire picture, only hisses at people. He is menacing, but I like Dracula a little more talky than Frankenstein's monster.

• Feb 29, 2016

Not bad, but not great either. The ending is a bit strange and kind of comes out of nowhere, although I guess I'll give them credit for not ending it the same way most Dracula films end. If you're a classic horror connoisseur, it's worth a watch.

• Feb 18, 2016

I think I enjoyed this a bit more than the original, probably because the story of the original had been done over and over in loads of films. At least this was a bit different, not much but a bit. I find it unusual that they would make the only real star in the film a mute though.

• Dec 12, 2015

Dracula comes to life, through some naive englishmen bewildered in the Carpathian. Christopher Lee with a magic performance, with true evil in his eyes. The story is too loose in between the horror, which makes it less frightening than its suppose to be. Maybe a little too aristocratic, too fit in the Dracula empire.

• Nov 23, 2015

My master's hospitality is revered. A group of individuals are invited to meet a count in a castle. The individuals do not know why they've been invited, but the story of the count unfolds before them as he's resurrected by some loyal followers that the count somehow communicates with despite the count being deceased. None of the events make sense to the guest until it appears to be too late... "Is he indisposed?" "He's dead." Terrence Fisher, director of Horror of Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Island of Terror, The Gorgon, Frankenstein Created Woman, and The Curse of the Werewolf, delivers Dracula Prince of Darkness. The storyline for this picture is as you'd expect for the genre and era; however, Christopher Lee as Dracula is always compelling and perfectly executed. The cast also includes Barbara Shelley, Andrew Keir, Francis Matthews, and Suzanne Farmer. "There is no bogey man anymore." This was on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this Halloween season and I had to DVR it (I honestly thought I had already seen this). This was entertaining and well done but isn't as good as the original Dracula with Lee. This is a must see for diehard fans of the classic horror pictures or Christopher Lee. "You are a superstitious, frightened idiot." Grade: C+/B-

• Aug 19, 2015

I didn't realize you could kill a vampire with running water.

I didn't realize you could kill a vampire with running water.

• Jul 05, 2015

Full of the sensual mysteriousness which Hammer used to achieve so effortlessly during their long occupation of Bray Studios. Starting with a re-run of the Count's dusty demise at the hands of Van Helsing, this was the official sequel to Dracula, and - though it tails off - the first hour has real grandeur as Dracula's servant uses a prudish Victorian couple to effect his master's restoration.

• Jul 04, 2015

The second Hammer Dracula film starring Christopher Lee as Dracula (actually the third Dracula Hammer film). Christopher Lee doesn't utter a word throughout but his sheer presence raises the bar of an otherwise slow moving film. Basically 4 English travellers (2 couples) end up spending the night at Castle Dracula despite Dracula himself being 'killed' some 8 years prior. The film has a very 1960s feel. The two couples are annoying actors. The film suffers from the absence of Peter Cushing and a secondary actor commands his Dracula knowledge role (some local village monk). The sets are atmospheric (the interiors of Castle Dracula). The resurrection of Dracula allows some 1960s special effects to be shown off! My trawl of the many Hammer 'horror' productions continues.

• May 11, 2015

Once again, it doesn't offer much new, but it's still very entertaining. It's great to see Lee in the title role again, though he doesn't speak much. Sadly, no Cushing, and frankly the other characters don't stand out much. Nice blood and a unique ending.