Drinking Buddies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drinking Buddies Reviews

June 25, 2017
0/10 DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE! Honestly a huge waste of my time. This was the worst movie I have ever seen. I wasted 90 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. I'd rather recieve Chinese water torture than ever watch this movie again. Zero plot line or point to this movie. I'm mad at myself for clicking on it, and mad af these good actors for participating in this total piece of s**t.
½ June 5, 2017
Don't waste your time ITS SHIT!
June 1, 2017
This movie was absolutely terrible. First of all, nick is not nick in this movie. He should totally stick to tv shows... movies are not his thing. 2nd of all, the ending sucked.. made absolutely no sense. DO NOT RECOMMEND IT
May 26, 2017
Honestly so boring. I'm just confused as to why whoever did the casting could not find someone that actually fit the bill of a 'rugged, manly-man' type. Instead, they chose someone that was clearly was an imposter. Come on... also, if you're going to have someone that does have a visible tattoo PLEASE DO NOT DRAW IT ON. I could not stop cringing.
½ April 11, 2017
Generally not a mumblecore kind of guy but this movie rises above that boring, indie dreck. Jake Johnson and crew are completely believable as slackers in love. Director Joe Swanberg seems to have a tight reign on improviosational riffs that keep things breezy and away from self-indulegnce.
February 6, 2017
Every aspect of this film is packed full with depth and character. The characters feel real and genuinely alive.
½ December 30, 2016
It's supposed to be comedy movie BUTT isn't
December 6, 2016
Entièrement improvisé, Drinking Buddies, le quatorzième film du pape du Mumblecore Joe Swanberg, est une comédie dramatico-romantique sur un duo d'amis de boulot joués par les excellents Olivia Wilde et Jake Johnson, et de leurs conjoints respectifs, Ron Livingston et Anna Kendrick. Démarrant comme une romcom tout à fait commune, Drinking Buddies se transforme très vite en une tragicomédie avec peu de rebondissements mais un sentiment de réel particulièrement remarquable, avec quelques séquences tout bonnement formidables (le déménagement, par exemple).Difficile d'accès, mais pourtant passionnant, délibérément lent mais pourtant concis, Drinking Buddies est une de ces études des relations humaines contemporaines qui a les moyens de toucher même le plus cynique des spectateurs.
½ November 30, 2016
Drinking Buddies is not the style of movie I enjoy. The cast is excellent, particularly Jake Johnson and Anna Kendrick, and they are able to make the improvised dialogue feel authentic. However, there just isn't much that happens in this film. It is a snapshot of what real life looks like for a handful of friends and acquaintances, but their stories don't have a lot of progression. What little does happen to them is predictable and boring. If I wasn't distracted while watching I think it might have put me to sleep. The strange thing is, despite my complaints of the pacing and the lack of plot points, something remarkable happened to me when the final scene rolled around. Somehow, out of nowhere, I realized I had become invested in these characters and actually cared about what was going to happen to them in the end. I don't know whether to chalk it up to the actors, or merely the slow burn of the story, but I loved that last scene and it made me admit that they did something right with this movie. While Drinking Buddies is not the style of film that I would ever seek out, or want to watch again, I could see that it was constructed well for people who do enjoy the mumblecore genre.
November 19, 2016
kind of superficial but ok
October 25, 2016
An amazing piece of art that drops you in on the story as a casual observer. Joe Swanberg is an incredible, well-rounded artist in every sense, but particularly in his talent for verité storytelling.

Some may complain that it's a story with no ending, but I would argue that that's exactly the point. This is a story where, much like life, things will just keep going. Whenever a sense of closure comes about, another story emerges. This is a movie that could've believably gone on for another four hours, at least.
October 23, 2016
I kept waiting for there to be a point, literally until the end. Never happened. Real life is awkward and meandering enough. Seriously, save yourself an hour and a half or whatever, and just watch your next terrible double date like a spectator. Bring some popcorn. Roughly the same experience.
½ October 10, 2016
Drinking Buddies is a decent romantic comedy that truthfully tells the story of a group of friends in their early thirties.
Good and heartfelt acting performances make up for the ordinary script ad save this movie from being just another film without an identity.
September 30, 2016
I love this film. It's a realistic look at having a platonic best friend. It's great.
½ September 25, 2016
Very flat movie. No climax, no real resolution. Tried to hard to feel "real" and just felt awkward.
½ September 18, 2016
Quite a typical US indie film with a few very familiar faces from this circuit, and Anna Kendrick, who did actually surprise me with her performance. I thought this was heading into a daft wife-swapping story but it actually turns out to be a bit better than I thought it would.
September 10, 2016
Drinking Buddies would have been nothing without its captivating cast. Jake Johnson and Olivia Munn absolutely carry this movie, and they have to. The film's pace could not be slower, but it's tantalizing will-they-won't-they remains intriguing for the entire runtime. Ultimately, the ending surprises, but deep down, it feels real. Which is the highest compliment I can give this film.
August 20, 2016
a waste of time movie
August 20, 2016
I really enjoyed this film and it's actors. Very relatable and real, almost painfully real at times. I just wish something had been more realized between the two main characters by the end. But then again maybe that was the point...
August 5, 2016
The movie was fine for a random watch, but I feel like I've seen it many times before and it will be easily forgotten.