Drinking Buddies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drinking Buddies Reviews

½ October 10, 2016
Drinking Buddies is a decent romantic comedy that truthfully tells the story of a group of friends in their early thirties.
Good and heartfelt acting performances make up for the ordinary script ad save this movie from being just another film without an identity.
September 30, 2016
I love this film. It's a realistic look at having a platonic best friend. It's great.
½ September 25, 2016
Very flat movie. No climax, no real resolution. Tried to hard to feel "real" and just felt awkward.
½ September 18, 2016
Quite a typical US indie film with a few very familiar faces from this circuit, and Anna Kendrick, who did actually surprise me with her performance. I thought this was heading into a daft wife-swapping story but it actually turns out to be a bit better than I thought it would.
September 10, 2016
Drinking Buddies would have been nothing without its captivating cast. Jake Johnson and Olivia Munn absolutely carry this movie, and they have to. The film's pace could not be slower, but it's tantalizing will-they-won't-they remains intriguing for the entire runtime. Ultimately, the ending surprises, but deep down, it feels real. Which is the highest compliment I can give this film.
August 20, 2016
a waste of time movie
August 20, 2016
I really enjoyed this film and it's actors. Very relatable and real, almost painfully real at times. I just wish something had been more realized between the two main characters by the end. But then again maybe that was the point...
August 5, 2016
The movie was fine for a random watch, but I feel like I've seen it many times before and it will be easily forgotten.
July 30, 2016
no women should ever watch it! it is a painfully true story
July 14, 2016
Why don't the users like Joe Swanberg movies?! This one is great! I don't like it as much as Happy Christmas, but I feel like this is a bigger achievement for Joe, and can appeal to more audiences. The directing was great! The performances are all outstanding, as usual. The script is pretty good, but the story makes it not as good, because I didn't love the story again! I didn't love how the story progressed from the weekend at the cabin, and on. It just made me a little angry. I can't get this one lower than Happy Christmas because that would make it not fresh and imply I don't like it, because I love it! I just like Happy Christmas more. There was more of a point and a story. This was just about random people. But then you have the couples be incorrectly paired, which just felt like it was added just to make the story have a little more substance. I would have preferred just to see these characters live. Joe Swanberg also had a great cameo!
July 1, 2016
- Watched this a 2nd time and sill really enjoyed it. It's a small film that is well written and has excellent performances, really a joy to watch. Check it out!

- I really liked this one. The story is nothing new, it follows best friends who spend all their time together, usually drinking, while dealing with a romantic undercurrent. For me, the performances really made it, I liked Jake Johnson and Olivia Wilde together, there's a lot of simple scenes that they could have taken further, but didn't, and made it more real. Just a nice slice of life comedy. Also strong supporting work from Kendrick, Sudeikis, and Livingston. Check it out!
½ May 9, 2016
½ May 5, 2016
Giving the French a run for their money in complicated but unshowy emotionalism.
April 22, 2016
"Drinking Buddies" is a comedy that focuses on generating laughs by the chemistry of its cast and the observational pathos of its characters, although, its plot appears limited and slow-moving at times.
½ April 8, 2016
A smart, funny and bittersweet observational movie that shows heart and good performances by its small cast
½ March 14, 2016
February 29, 2016
This was really surprising... really showed there's more to Jake Johnson than his New Girl persona... Wilde, Kendrick & Livingston were excellent as well.
February 19, 2016
There is Pepsi and Coke and down the aisle the more expensive Italian dry blood orange soda which is indeed dry, but charming all the same.

More like a collection of experiences rather than scenes and more like real people than actors, most will be disappointed. When you drink that Coke or Pepsi, don't you ever wonder what that Italian soda is like?
½ February 19, 2016
Not a lot happens with the story. This is the type of film that you sit back and enjoy the characters interacting and guessing how their relationships will turn out.