Driving Miss Daisy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Driving Miss Daisy Reviews

September 15, 2017
This movie won 4 out of 9 Oscars and aside from Jessica Tandy's performance, I am not sure why. This movie does have it's charm, and I wouldn't say that it is bad. However, I also wouldn't say that it was best picture material...but it won it anyway. Loved the cast, but found the story to be a bit directionless.
½ August 28, 2017
BEST PICTURE 1989: a sweet film about an old lady who can't drive anymore because of her sight. Her concerned son hires a driver to driver her places. She is stubborn and reluctant for help until she gets to know him better and they become friends
August 27, 2017
Morgan Freeman is amazing, as usual.
½ August 23, 2017
Brilliantly acted, well-written and well directed, Driving Miss Daisy is a heart-warming film about friendship, while also being impactful enough to deal with multiple types of prejudices. And it does so subtly, which makes a wonderful change from these strong themes being thrown at you.
½ April 15, 2017
Can't help but make you smile as it dazzles with southern charm. Driving Miss Daisy delivers impressive performances while managing to unfold a nice little story our way, even if it doesn't hit every note pitch perfect
½ March 17, 2017
Perfection! . this movie simply proves that there are another relationships in this world are noble and noone on this earth named them yet.
½ March 7, 2017
I just watched this for the first time, mostly because I finally decided to see just why this movie won so many damn Oscars. It's a sweet film, truly. Carried solely by the great work of Freeman & Tandy and how well they work together, on screen. There's humorous and emotional moments throughout. It's a good, but not great movie.
½ February 28, 2017
What the film says is sentimental and moving, but if the Academy wanted to award Best Picture to a movie that touches on race, then they should have chosen Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing."
February 17, 2017
A beautiful 1989 comedy-drama starring an already-old Morgan Freeman and the oldest Oscar actress winner Jessica Tandy who would die some year later. This 62nd Academy Awards' Best Picture Winner has a very heartwarming tale adapted from a play that depicts the seemingly troubled and funny relationship between an old lady and his driver. The Make-up and Hairstyling level of this film is truly impressive!!
½ December 7, 2016
- I have seen this a few times now. The film is predictable and heavy handed, but I really enjoy watching Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy in this, they are both outstanding and I love their chemistry.

- Watching this one again for the first time in a long while, I couldn't help but be distracted by how heavy-handed and predictable it is. The film lays it on thick, but is ultimately save by the two lead performances of Tandy and Freeman. Not sure it is worthy of the Best Picture Oscar is received though. Check it out!
½ November 26, 2016
Why this movie won so many Oscars is something that escapes me, given its annoying and poorly-paced narrative that forces us to endure an unbearable old lady and feels tremendously episodic trying to span 25 years with skips in time that are never fluid.
½ November 12, 2016
This is a phenomenal film. Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman have amazing onscreen chemistry. They are very convincing as a pair of unlikely friends.
November 11, 2016
Driving Miss Daisy is the perfect example that sometimes a simple plot supported by great perfomances can make a movie stand the test of time.
½ November 6, 2016
Basada en la obra ganadora de un Pullitzer de Alfred Uhry, Driving Miss Daisy nos cuesta la relación existente entre una adinerada mujer, muy testadura, de carácter fuerte y con los valores tradicionales de una mujer del sur, Daisy (Jessica Tandy) y su chofer, un hombre afroamericano, quién también es bastante obstinado, pero atiende a la Srta Tandy con todo el amor posible; Hoke (Morgan Freeman). Ambos rompen molde, ella por ser una mujer descendiente de alemanes judíos y él por el color de su piel, en una sociedad aún bastante prejuciosa. No obstante, ambos entrados en años, se apoyan mutuamente desarrollado una entrañable amistad. Con Dan Aykrod..
September 25, 2016
Fresh, and charged with life, this dramedy from the celebrated stage play is given a successful film release.
Taut drama, fresh humor, Tandy, Freeman and Ackroyd are perfect as the starchy, driving matriarch, supported by the long suffering chauffeur and her son.
Brilliantly nuanced, they keep each other on their toes.
The ending could have been given more strength, depth and emotional resonance, but sufficient as given.

A powerful play given new life as a movie.

4 out of 5

4 of 5
September 21, 2016
Winner of 4 Oscars (including Best Picture), "Driving Miss Daisy" is a must-see film; outstanding acting (Jessica Tandy won Best Leading Actress), convincing makeup (won Best Makeup), neat settings, & a great story (won Best Adapted Screenplay) of mutual friendship that develops between two different people. One of the greatest films of the 1980s & the 20th Century!
August 11, 2016
It took me forever to finally watch this. This movie is fuckin jokes but also just a nice story.
½ July 15, 2016
Un guión encantador, grandes actuaciones, personajes completos y un hermoso mensaje.
Prácticamente es una verdadera joya.
½ May 5, 2016
Una estimulante historia de amistad a traves de los años en cuatro ruedas. Estupendas actuaciones y adaptacion de epoca.
March 30, 2016
Pues está bien claro, pero algo exagerada para mejor pelicula.