Driving Miss Daisy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Driving Miss Daisy Reviews

April 20, 2018
you never allow me to turn it on..

Driving Miss Daisy

The writer; Alfred Uhry, has spent a lot on the bonding of the lead characters which is clearly visible and thoroughly moving and entertaining, that clearly stands alone and becomes the highlight of this subtle dramatic feature. Bruce Bereford is decent on executing the scene and offering the appropriate tone to it but a better editing and cinematography would have changed the whole course. Morgan Freeman holds on to his part tightly along with Jessica Tandy who overpowers Morgan completely with her genuinely moving performance. Driving Miss Daisy is a slow pill that is effective to its core but it sure tests one's patience along with it which in the end is worth the drama.
March 16, 2018
Extremely soft movie making with well rounded, relatable and real characters. Made with a lot of patience and heart, it is a great watch.
½ March 8, 2018
What the film says is sentimental and moving, but if the Academy wanted to award Best Picture to a movie that touches on race, then they should have chosen Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing."
½ December 29, 2017
Ok movie starring Morgan freeman.
December 28, 2017
It's a toss-up on whether you'll like this one or not, basically based on what type of movie you like. I did not. I thought the dialogue was kinda painful to listen to, except at the very end. While all the black characters are different from each other, none are smarter than the dumbest white character, which Idk about you but that sounds pretty racist. And I'm not the most knowledgeable on history but I know enough to say that this movie mashes up decades more than YouTubers mashup anime theme songs. But maybe you'll look past that for the stellar acting (for the script, anyways) and feel-good tone. It's good if you find it on cable, but I don't wanna watch it again. Did the Academy REALLY pass up on Do the Right Thing, Born on the Fourth of July and Glory for this movie?
December 11, 2017
A showcase of the undeniable talents of Freeman and Tandy - the latter of which became the oldest actress to receive an Academy Award for best actress. Driving Miss Daisy cleverly and briefly touches on themes of prejudice, alienation and segregation and whilst these themes are only touched on briefly, this seems to almost normalise them and therefore makes the film's time and location seem ever more present. The absence of focus on the time the film is set allows the audience to focus on the warmth and familiarity that slowly grows between Daisy and her chauffeur Hoke. The ending of the film seems rushed and I'm unsure why they didn't include a bit more in the film to highlight the ageing of the two and the mental decline of the titular character, as such sudden jumps are made to years later and then suddenly the film's credits are rolling, it seems strange. At just under 99 minutes, the film could've done with being a bit longer perhaps.
November 2, 2017
Driving Miss Daisy: Heartfelt, emotinal, moving and coats on Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy's excellent preformance.
½ October 31, 2017
Slow, depressing realistic movie about cranky snobby elderly Southern Jewish woman who is declining in function and her African American driver who deals with her rudeness
because he needs the job.
October 8, 2017
what a nice movie, Maybe it's too nice for it's own good, and the message may be a bit too shoved down our throat. But, i thoroughly enjoyed this funny, and moving story from start to finish.
September 30, 2017
A good movie for old people. Like, really old people, who are stubborn but kind.
September 15, 2017
This movie won 4 out of 9 Oscars and aside from Jessica Tandy's performance, I am not sure why. This movie does have it's charm, and I wouldn't say that it is bad. However, I also wouldn't say that it was best picture material...but it won it anyway. Loved the cast, but found the story to be a bit directionless.
½ August 28, 2017
BEST PICTURE 1989: a sweet film about an old lady who can't drive anymore because of her sight. Her concerned son hires a driver to driver her places. She is stubborn and reluctant for help until she gets to know him better and they become friends
August 27, 2017
Morgan Freeman is amazing, as usual.
½ August 23, 2017
Brilliantly acted, well-written and well directed, Driving Miss Daisy is a heart-warming film about friendship, while also being impactful enough to deal with multiple types of prejudices. And it does so subtly, which makes a wonderful change from these strong themes being thrown at you.
½ April 15, 2017
Can't help but make you smile as it dazzles with southern charm. Driving Miss Daisy delivers impressive performances while managing to unfold a nice little story our way, even if it doesn't hit every note pitch perfect
½ March 17, 2017
Perfection! . this movie simply proves that there are another relationships in this world are noble and noone on this earth named them yet.
½ March 7, 2017
I just watched this for the first time, mostly because I finally decided to see just why this movie won so many damn Oscars. It's a sweet film, truly. Carried solely by the great work of Freeman & Tandy and how well they work together, on screen. There's humorous and emotional moments throughout. It's a good, but not great movie.
February 17, 2017
A beautiful 1989 comedy-drama starring an already-old Morgan Freeman and the oldest Oscar actress winner Jessica Tandy who would die some year later. This 62nd Academy Awards' Best Picture Winner has a very heartwarming tale adapted from a play that depicts the seemingly troubled and funny relationship between an old lady and his driver. The Make-up and Hairstyling level of this film is truly impressive!!
½ December 7, 2016
- I have seen this a few times now. The film is predictable and heavy handed, but I really enjoy watching Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy in this, they are both outstanding and I love their chemistry.

- Watching this one again for the first time in a long while, I couldn't help but be distracted by how heavy-handed and predictable it is. The film lays it on thick, but is ultimately save by the two lead performances of Tandy and Freeman. Not sure it is worthy of the Best Picture Oscar is received though. Check it out!
½ November 26, 2016
Why this movie won so many Oscars is something that escapes me, given its annoying and poorly-paced narrative that forces us to endure an unbearable old lady and feels tremendously episodic trying to span 25 years with skips in time that are never fluid.