Duck Soup Reviews

• Jun 11, 2021

Simply one of the greatest comedy films ever made, and the best of the brothers' Paramount period...more irreverent and nutty than "Night at the Opera", the best of their MGM films

• Mar 31, 2021

Different level ....even now they were that far ahead of their time , as funny as you will find on a roll of film, absolutely superb comedic geniuses . Ive seen their films countless times and never miss them when they are on the telly.

• Mar 31, 2021

Funny considering the time but rather dated. Worth a watch or two but generally over rated.

• Nov 24, 2020

Duck Soup is an appropriate appetizer for anyone who is interested in delving into the comedy of the Marx Brothers. The plot, which is really a secondary issue when it comes to any movie with the Marx Brothers, involves Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho) taking over the presidency of Freedonia and the inevitable mayhem that ensues. Really…that's about it. The humor is based primarily on puns and slapstick, the former provided by an inspired Groucho and the latter provided by Harpo and Chico. The humor is truly a mixed bag and there is generally about one laugh for every ten misfires, but they come fast and furious. The antics of Harpo and Chico get a bit tiresome, but it is all part of the package when it comes to the Marx Brothers.

• Oct 30, 2020

Chaplin's prevalence in the silent era has likely led to his particular brand of comedy becoming more universal and longer-lasting, but the Marx Brothers were the champions of comedy in the '30s, and much of their output still feels funny today, especially the visual bits. Groucho's delivery seems dated in spots for sure, but the film is still among the best of the decade, and a landmark of early comedy in sound. In many ways, the antiquated vernacular is part of the charm. Zeppo sticks out like a sore thumb compared to his brothers, though. (4/5)

• Jul 23, 2020

It's still a blast and really funny.

It's still a blast and really funny.

• Jul 01, 2020

This comedy does not age well at all. Not even worthy of a smirk. Annoying songs, annoyingly bad one liners, annoying slapstick. The whole thing is dross. Laurel and Hardy were and still are exceptional. This is the first and last Marx Brothers film I've watched. Awful.

• Jun 29, 2020

In Duck Soup, a wealthy widow offers aid to a struggling country on the condition they make a chaotic idiot their leader. Acting: 10 Beginning: 10 Characters: 10 Main character Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx) is absolutely hilarious. He has quips for days and he's always doing something to liven up a scene. The other characters, while good, get lost in the greatness of his funny antics. Cinematography/Visuals: 10 Numerous setpieces abound here which keeps the movie fresh. The movies's consistent change of scenery and large visual spectacles propels Duck Soup to almost passable heights. I can appreciate a movie with a constant change of pace, especially older films. Conflict: 3 I spent a decent amount of this movie trying to figure out just what exactly was going on. The conflict never seemed strong enough for me to think the stakes were worth it. It was clear the focus was more on the comedy aspect rather than driving the story. Entertainment Value: 8 Memorability: 3 Pace: 10 Plot: 7 Resolution: 5 The ending was meh and that's me being generous. It was essentially a compounding of the story as a whole which totally lost steam for me towards the back half of the movie. it felt like, by the time we reach the end, the writer forgot what initially made the story great in the first place. Overall: 76 When you don't really know what's going on right off the nose, it makes it hard to settle into the story. Duck Soup does a lot of things rights. However, a solid main character and grandiose scenes aren't quite enough to mask the fact that the movie falls just shy of being good. Not terrible, but definitely not great.

• Jun 19, 2020

Silly, simple, sophisticated, innuendo by the bucketful. Groucho Marx is a genius, go to you tube and watch interviews from the sixties and seventies.

• Jun 11, 2020

AFI 100 Greatest Films - #85: This cleverly funny skewering of war and politics still lands quite well in 2020. Be sure not to blink with your ears though as my mind was having trouble keeping up with the witty one liners that flew out in rapid succession for the duration of the film. My first experience with the Marx Bros was definitely a positive one.