Duck Soup Reviews

• Jul 23, 2020

It's still a blast and really funny.

It's still a blast and really funny.

• Jul 01, 2020

This comedy does not age well at all. Not even worthy of a smirk. Annoying songs, annoyingly bad one liners, annoying slapstick. The whole thing is dross. Laurel and Hardy were and still are exceptional. This is the first and last Marx Brothers film I've watched. Awful.

• Jun 29, 2020

In Duck Soup, a wealthy widow offers aid to a struggling country on the condition they make a chaotic idiot their leader. Acting: 10 Beginning: 10 Characters: 10 Main character Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx) is absolutely hilarious. He has quips for days and he's always doing something to liven up a scene. The other characters, while good, get lost in the greatness of his funny antics. Cinematography/Visuals: 10 Numerous setpieces abound here which keeps the movie fresh. The movies's consistent change of scenery and large visual spectacles propels Duck Soup to almost passable heights. I can appreciate a movie with a constant change of pace, especially older films. Conflict: 3 I spent a decent amount of this movie trying to figure out just what exactly was going on. The conflict never seemed strong enough for me to think the stakes were worth it. It was clear the focus was more on the comedy aspect rather than driving the story. Entertainment Value: 8 Memorability: 3 Pace: 10 Plot: 7 Resolution: 5 The ending was meh and that's me being generous. It was essentially a compounding of the story as a whole which totally lost steam for me towards the back half of the movie. it felt like, by the time we reach the end, the writer forgot what initially made the story great in the first place. Overall: 76 When you don't really know what's going on right off the nose, it makes it hard to settle into the story. Duck Soup does a lot of things rights. However, a solid main character and grandiose scenes aren't quite enough to mask the fact that the movie falls just shy of being good. Not terrible, but definitely not great.

• Jun 19, 2020

Silly, simple, sophisticated, innuendo by the bucketful. Groucho Marx is a genius, go to you tube and watch interviews from the sixties and seventies.

• Jun 11, 2020

AFI 100 Greatest Films - #85: This cleverly funny skewering of war and politics still lands quite well in 2020. Be sure not to blink with your ears though as my mind was having trouble keeping up with the witty one liners that flew out in rapid succession for the duration of the film. My first experience with the Marx Bros was definitely a positive one.

• May 25, 2020

With wordplay and witticisms flying like bullets from a machine gun—practically attacking the audience at a velocity that even today remains overwhelming—producing laughter as explosive as any bomb, their characteristic anarchy is at its boldest, purest, and most acerbic as the brothers make a travesty of the modern political order that led from the cynical disillusionment of the Great War to the incompetency worsening the Great Depression to the rise of the Great Dictator and his equally buffoonish mustache.

• Mar 09, 2020

The Marx Brothers comedic masterpiece.

The Marx Brothers comedic masterpiece.

• Dec 12, 2019

A mind blowing comedy. Rufus T. Firefly would, most certainly, crush Donald Trump in head to head competion.

• Sep 17, 2019

Classic film! Lots of funny wit and puns!! The whole movie was full of them. The only thing I didn't like was the music. Now it seems cheesy.

• Sep 13, 2019

If you start me talking about this movie, you're going to have a tough time understanding me, what with all the laughing and stuff.