Duck Soup Reviews

• Jul 30, 2019

The Marx brothers humor may be a little dated for todays audience. But In the 30's it was ahead of its time and was well thought out.

• Mar 03, 2019

Duck Soup, a confusing title that only makes a little sense on closer inspection, is a slapstick heavy farce that only ever got the occasional chuckle out of me. There's something about the fast-paced vaudeville clowning that rubbed me the wrong way, and I tired of it very quickly. It feels like a project much more suited to the stage than the screen. In a play or cabaret, the rapidity is very impressive since its happening in one go. On screen it can be the result of numerous takes, and comes across as far more annoying than entertaining. It's a similar feeling I had when I watched Chaplin's Great Dictator, and the lead's constant buffoonery just got on my nerves. It was the same here, and with the endless scenes of the brothers doing nothing but fall over, knock hats off and gurn at every opportunity, I was thankful it was only 68 minutes. The Marx Brothers may have done a lot for screen comedy, but in Duck Soup, they did absolutely nothing for me.

• Nov 04, 2018

Duck Soup: Pros: - Fantastic Acting - Amazing Directing - Terrific Script - Good Cinematography - Magnificent Editing - Great Plot - Very Funny - Brilliant Pacing - Phenomenal chemistry between each character - Outstanding Dialogue Cons: - None Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)

• Sep 07, 2018

The definitive surrealist, anarchist anti-war movie. The Marx Brothers at their masterful peak. Fredonia's going to war!

• Jun 22, 2018

I can understand why it didn't get a lot of respect at first, as it's themes were untouchable at the time, but it's aged just like fine wine and is one the silliest Marx adventures!

• Jun 19, 2018

Priceless, the marx brothers at their best.

Priceless, the marx brothers at their best.

• Feb 18, 2018

Goofy and funny in satire, The Marx Brothers make their iconic movie of random musical numbers, gags, and slapstick

• Nov 05, 2017

First and last time I go out of my way to watch Marx bros stuff. Appreciate them as a precursor to Airplane!, Angie Tribeca and stuff - but ultimately not for me.

• Oct 27, 2017

A modern version would be great today. It actually says a lot about modern times!

• Aug 30, 2017

Humor that withstands the test of time. The musical numbers are rather awkward though.