Edwin Boyd (Citizen Gangster) Reviews

• Sep 14, 2017

Canadian film about canadian story. This is usually TV movie quality, but pretty good feel of the epoch. Good acting. Good locations. Feel of reality. A good story full of lessons. The biggest suckers are the gangsters.

• Jun 19, 2016

Average film that I struggled to engage with and follow probably due to my mental state rather than the film.

• Apr 09, 2016

It's been interesting for a while at the beginning. But then.

It's been interesting for a while at the beginning. But then.

• Jul 27, 2015

Based on a true story, the tale of Toronto's most famous bank robber isn't as exciting on film as it is in the history books. The bank heists are exciting and stylish, but there's too much drama and not enough cool, noir gangster moments.

• Apr 16, 2015

A very well made period piece of Toronto's most Famous Bank Robber. What's different about this movie as opposed to most gangster films is that it doesn't glorify the lifestyle of a criminal. It takes a very human and real world approach to it.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Nov 22, 2014

In "Citizen Gangster," Edwin Boyd(Scott Speedman) is a World War II veteran who works as a bus driver in Toronto. Dreaming of becoming an actor, he walks off the job one day. Now without the means to support his wife Doreen(Kelly Reilly) and two children, they must now rely on the generosity of his father(Brian Cox). At least, until Edwin decides to put some of his theatrical greasepaint and service revolver to use by robbing banks. "Citizen Gangster" is a prime example of a movie not being able to see the forest for the trees, as it is lovingly filmed in muted terms and contains a great deal of period detail. And then almost makes you wonder what the big deal is with this true life story whose biggest surprise is delivered in the postscript.(Saying "you had to have been there" does not count.) Plus, Scott Speedman does nobody any favors in the lead, as he is often overshadowed by the supporting cast, as this movie like many others in the past 20 years simply does not have enough Brian Cox to go around. At least, the story does have a valuable message to deliver, namely find a job you love. Just don't strand any passengers by the side of the road while you do.

• Sep 14, 2014

Morlando has crafted a stylishly shot and evocatively designed period piece. But it's the dashing, quietly charismatic Speedman who proves the main draw, holding our attention even when the movie doesn't. I say RENT IT!!!

• Aug 08, 2014

A very interesting story, based on one that actually happened. This one actually happened in Toronto, which is different than most of the other gangster movie that take place in America, but he isn't really a true gangster. He robs banks, does it alone, and has no connection too the mob. The movie dosent focus on every detail of what happened, and for better or for worse it puts a story that could have filled a 3 hour biography into one that takes place in roughly half the time. But either way it makes it good movie, with some good scenes and characters, and tells the story of a bank robber well. The movie isn't as good, long or as action packed as Public Enemies, another bank robber movie, but it keeps up the excitement and always has something new in store. Life wasnt easy for Edwin before he robbed banks, and after it didn't improve. It's a great story, with a good ending with a twist, has some gret actors and preformances, and makes for a good film. Doesn't make you think robbing banks can solve your problems, but in reality if Edwin didn't go rob again after his wife found out what he was doing he could have gotten away with all the money he'd stolen. But a good movie, just a little too compressed into a shorter running time, so it could have profited from a extra 30-40 minutes more.

• Aug 03, 2014

I didn't really care if the movie was good or sucked. It was filmed in my hometown and I thought it was awesome seeing familiar places.

• Jun 29, 2014

Brilliant movie. One of the best gangster movies I have watched.

Brilliant movie. One of the best gangster movies I have watched.