Elling Reviews

• Apr 23, 2017

A heartwarming story about two outcasts with typical features of scandinavian black humor. The actors deliver outstanding performances of these mentally challenged protagonists. It is not a "light" comedy to watch but the movie will leave you with a warm feeling in your belly. So why not all 5 stars? The camerawork is a little bit shaky sometimes and the movie, unfortunately, already looks pretty old.

• Jan 30, 2014

Norwegian. An interesting look into the Norwegian care system. Curious characters. Humorous.

• Aug 21, 2013

Sat on this forever and nearly sent it back to netflix without watching. Then I saw it was a 2001 Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film - the best category there is. I say that because the category seemed to peak right when I got into movies from about 2004-2007. Pretty sure I saw Amelie, one of the other noms in the category, but it might have been a weaker year. Still, pretty decent flick, especially look at the cover. The story starts when a man's mother dies. He's forced out of the closet, literally. No, he's not gay. Just very neurotic. He ends up in a home and meets another partially disabled man. Despite some awkwardness and some struggles, the two become the best of friends and eventually are able to make it out in the world on their own. I don't think there's anything particularly moving about the film, as many a film about disabled might do, but it's comical and just a nice movie. I can't judge the actors to see just how well they acted because I've not seen their other work. All that said, a fun, feel-good movie.

• Jun 27, 2013

basically the norwegian midnight cowboy

basically the norwegian midnight cowboy

• Apr 26, 2013

Refreshing to see, two people who are in their late 30s or early 40s from what it seems find each other. They both are obviously different but have the same issues to deal with, they both get used to each others companies and help each other through out the way. The movie has its funny moments, and heart warming scenes as well. Quite nice to see that its never too late to get out and experience the world even if at first you're scared. Sometimes the universe decides to quick you out into the open, of course its a scary change for some but it brings a good change&lessons, like this two characters.

• Apr 12, 2013

A cute and charming comedy about the odd ones. It is simple and witty. It manages to bring out some laughs with its extremely original characters.

• Mar 31, 2013

A gentle and heart-rending comedy and drama. I loved the character development of Elling and his friend. This film had so much humanity, and eccentricity!

• Sep 06, 2012

An OK odd-couple comedy, not a bad movie per se, but not crazy funny or original. Perhaps something was "lost in translation", and I didn't get the social commentary if that's what I thought it was.

• Sep 03, 2012

One of the best movies I've seen. A true Norwegian odyssey.

One of the best movies I've seen. A true Norwegian odyssey.

• Jun 03, 2012

Sweet little film about the transition from institution to outside world.

Sweet little film about the transition from institution to outside world.