Emotional Arithmetic Reviews

• Nov 21, 2017

I found this to be an enjoyable intellectual movie. it is a movie that one retains in the mind and thinks about after they have left the theatre. it is not the sugar high that so much of the CGI-based movie industry is about now.

• Feb 13, 2016

A very slow movie, but if you are willing to wait, you will not be disappointed. It's not filled with comedy or action, but the characters are very well-rounded and all of them give phenomenal performances. This movie does a beautiful job showing how people deal with trauma, loss, and pain, which is what the movie is about--feelings. If you don't like movies like that, then don't watch, but if you are into slower dramas, then this is certainly a pleasant surprise.

• May 18, 2013

the actors are an ensemble of greatness.. the story however.. leaves us more to be desired

• Dec 06, 2012

Definitely not what i was expecting after listening to the critics. I found this movie interesting and enjoyable.

• Oct 20, 2012

a beautifully complex story. i wish that they would have dug deeper into jakob's story other than the few references.

• Mar 01, 2012

"Emotional Arithmetic" based on a novel by Matt Cohen begins with an astounding remark "If you ask me if I believe in God, I am forced to answer does God believe in us?" The film is not about atheism. It reflects on the terrible scars left by war on orphans, on individuals who stand up and protest when wrong is done, on relationships forged in times of stress, pain and loss. The charm of Paolo Barzman's film rests considerably in the hands of the capable actors--Susan Sarandon, Max von Sydow, Chistopher Plummer and Gabriel Bryne--all who have a maturity to carry off their parts in the film with grace. The location where this film was shot is beautiful, the film uses a recurring color scheme through out that really makes the audience not just see it but feel it as well. The same can be said for the style and camera work in the flashback scenes, scenes that are not over used and that could easily be the emotion of the film. Wisely, the director doesn't go that route and leaves the emotion in the here and now. Congratulations on a moving, intellectual and poignant cinema

• Apr 21, 2011

• Dec 27, 2010

Could've been good, but feels like a pretentious student piece, one where they should've gone with the other writer. The best part is watching Max Van Sydow deciding not to show his contempt for the interviewer in the special features. Watch her dive for her cell phone as Max explains a particularly touching moment in the film. Then: "so where were we...?" And Susan Sarandon writing her off even before the first question. As for the movie, the script was really, really weak. That's the best I can say.

• Aug 27, 2010

I felt like I was watching an hour-long black and white Heritage Minute and a movie broke out...In all seriousness, well intended, but I felt like we didn't learn enough about what happened to Susan Sarandon's character until it was too late - I had lost interest. She played a damaged person well, but somehow I couldn't believe Sarandon went through what she went through. I also didn't get the 1985 feel, either.

• Apr 04, 2010

What a lovely place to live...

What a lovely place to live...