Enduring Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Enduring Love Reviews

July 3, 2016
Daniel Craig and Rhys Ifans both often blow hot and cold with their performances. This film, however, was made for actors who sometime come across as awkward like these two. It's a bizarre story which revolves around a big opening scene which is both crucial and irrelevant to the story. I know that's oxymorinic but you'll know what I mean by the end of the film. Another British gem.
May 24, 2015
Daniel Craig and Samantha Morton are wasted in this overtly stylized movie that never forms into anything of interest.
March 7, 2015
I'm s strange most people only liked the beginning of the film but I didn't feel to connected straight away but as the film progresses and the incident is brought up and as Daniel Craig tries to discover what jed wants and pursues questions I can't help but keep thinking of the beginning and if there are subtle things I might have missed. Fantastic absolutely brilliant.
½ August 11, 2014
Daniel Craig and Rhys Ifans give brilliant performances in this overwrought stalking story -- logic fails in that Daniel Craig's character never calls the police about the stalker which seems bizarre even in these times when we aren't sure that police really care about us -- they do by the way. The musical score is over the top and this doesn't help. Still I am glad I watched the film... Also glad I saw it at home.
August 4, 2014
An absolutely unforgettable opening scene, extremely talented cast, and refined direction. Works as both a thriller and a character study. Daniel Craig grounds the whole thing by creating, as always, a three-dimensional human being; he's joined by a believably deranged Rhys Ifans and accented by Bill Nighy, who shows up everywhere and makes me happy when he does so.
½ July 18, 2014
101 minutes of my life I can never get back...Even Daniel Craig in 'tightie whites' or his man on man kiss could redeem this clunker.
½ April 11, 2014
Pretty interesting concept, but it wasn't as intense as I would have liked. It's a movie about stalking, which I thought was brought to life very well--the frustration, confusion, and anger that stems from it and in turn, the stress on relationships. The antagonist is very creepy and does a good job relaying stalker behavior. Craig plays a university professor with very isolating theories about love and life...that aspect is very built-in to the movie. It seemed disingenuous. The ending was rushed, and even though it tried to be dramatic, it was just wa-wa. It is English, and some people don't enjoy English film, but it wasn't that distracting. So, in all, an interesting study in stalking, but just an average movie. Almost impossible to find in the States. I would go to the end of the Earth to find it, but if it's on the tube, I'd check it out if you're into that kind of psychological suspense film. Don't miss the beginning if you do!
February 15, 2014
Preferred the book, but isn't that nearly always the way?
December 21, 2013
An odd and disturbing film that did not work for me. A superb beginning fades into a mess of hollow, drooling pseudo-characters. The ending is wanting, weak, and decidedly unsatisfying. Waste of a fine cast.
½ December 10, 2013
Fascinating psychological study of the different natures of love, with good acting by a good cast and great camera work. Definitely worth seeing.
September 21, 2013
The opening sequence of this film is simply brilliant and has stayed with me for years. It's compelling stuff. Daniel Craig is interesting in this, mainly because he is not near as muscle bound as his Bond alter-ego for which he will eventually be type cast. It ranks as a great view overall and whether intentional or not, the score for this film seems to derive from a Bernard Hermann score in a Hitchcock film. Which is perfect really as the film itself is very Hitchcock-esque. Rhys Ifans is fantastically creepy too. Great solid thriller. One to recommend to people who are looking for an intense cinematic fix.
½ August 10, 2013
The filmmakers' seemingly-unconscious homophobia is especially toxic, precisely because it is so built-in and unremarked upon. Proof positive that Daniel Craig is a dull, unimaginative, imprecise actor whose success has always baffled me. Between this and The Comfort Of Strangers, Ian McEwan--like Harold Pinter--has some big and ugly issues with (repressed or overt) male homosexuality; again, it's always a foregone conclusion that it is inherently perverse, inhuman and evil. Dunderheaded and despicable.
July 3, 2013
I started to read the book, but I have trouble getting into Ian McEwan's style. The story is intriguing, though, so maybe I'll be able to do the movie. Yummy Daniel Craig can't hurt either.
½ April 10, 2013
This is an example of a slow drama that works well for its genre. The film builds tension by slowly but gradually unraveling the meaning of two key events within its narrative. All this together I think to help create a film that along with the reactions of the character themselves creates a realist view, that has good sense of mystery. The almost comic and twisted performance by Rhys Ifans I think really helps add to the film in many different ways.
April 6, 2013
What a travesty. The worst book adaptation since Bonfire of the Vanities. Avoid at all costs
March 24, 2013
A weird, psychological thriller that keeps you gripped through out. Its premise is an original one which is supported by a good performance by Daniel Craig and a spell-bounding one by Rhys Ifans, who, arguebly, produces one of the best performances of his career.
½ February 8, 2013
Dark thriller with an almost comedic start or blackest of the black comedy? Either way some superb scenes!
December 17, 2012
The fact this film has a 59% rating just goes to show that 50's cinema isn't appreciated anymore. This film reminded me alot of a modern day hitchcock film. A fascinating incident at the beginning which then leads to the characters downfall during which mysterious sub plots develop until finally leading to a resolve. Various scene's also include awkwardness which matches that of tv series 'the office' which leaves you in limbo, bury your head in your hands or grit your teeth and bare it. This may sound like something Dustin Hoffman would be paid ridiculous amounts to say whilst stood on a rooftop but that's what good writing is suppose to do isn't it... make you feel. The film was also beautifully shot, especially the opening scene which is mesmerizing. All of this leads to an explosive scene between Rhys Ifans, Daniel Craig and Susan Lynch which had me covering my mouth for five minutes in shock. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but for Avengers to get a rating from film critics of 80-90% and Enduring love to be known as rotten.... something is seriously wrong with cinema audience's.
½ December 8, 2012
With low expectations, this was an exceptional film. I really love watching the complexities of the increasingly tangled relationships. Real performances all round, stellar cast.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. Should have seen this by now. Amazing cast and plot sounds surreal enough.