Ethel & Ernest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ethel & Ernest Reviews

½ March 14, 2018
Preciosa pelÝcula en la que el ilustrador Raymond Briggs nos cuenta la vida de sus padres, y parte de la suya. Una historia muy sencilla, muy bien puesta, muy bien animada y muy profunda.
March 6, 2018
An amazing slice of history and the human spirit. At times one forgets they are watching animation and peering into the human soul. Happiness, sorrow, bonds and family have never been more POIGNANTLY presented. A real STUNNER!
August 13, 2017
This beautifully animated adaptation of Raymond Briggs' Graphic Novel is delightful and endearing from beginning to end. Following the lives of Briggs' parents from their first date in the 1920s, throughout the second world war whilst raising their son, until each of their deaths in the 1970s. The film captures the time periods accurately to the brim, it's almost like stepping back in time. While I've also never read the graphic novel, I not only thought the direction was as fine as ever for a traditional animation but I also thought the voice acting felt just as real as the characters delivered their very natural dialogue. Most of all however was the subject matter and contextual nature of the time periods the film captured within the eyes of these characters, It definitely made viewers question their own places in the 21st century. While it might have run short of a 'Best Animated Feature' Oscar or any other award from last year or coming close to this year, I seriously recommend seeing this film, if it ever were to get a wider release date, just for people to see Raymond Briggs' personal story of his family on screen in such colour and animation.
February 20, 2017
Very touching. Briggs' tribute to his loving parents, from their meeting to their deaths in 1971. Beautifully drawn and animated, and voiced by Blethyn and Broadbent. The narrative is very much that of our parents' generation and their experience of everyday British life before, during and after WWII. Briggs doesn't shy away from the realities of his parents' lives, or for that matter of their deaths. I'm not sure why Briggs' work is usually broadcast around Christmas, but there you go.
January 21, 2017
Not ashamed to say I'm a blubbering wreck after watching this. I can't recommend it highly enough. Raymond Briggs is so clever in the way he brings out the emotional impact of the 'everyday.' Loved it.
½ January 10, 2017
I enjoy stories like this where it doesn't focus on a typical 3 act structure, and instead is just a series of events. Add that with a charming cast of characters, a unique storybook visual style, and lots of heart and humanism, then you got a good film on your hands.
January 8, 2017
This film was beautiful. I cried three times while watching it. A real slice of life.
January 3, 2017
What an honest and touching story. ­???
½ January 1, 2017
A nice snappy animation with the mighty voice talents of Jim Broadbent.
December 31, 2016
beautiful and poignant.
December 28, 2016
In my opinion this is the best of
Raymond Briggs stories adapted for TV. It is captivating viewing despite it being a very ordinary British love story. I think it is the stories ordinariness that makes it seem so familiar , humorous and at the same time slightly depressing.
December 28, 2016
the best thing on TV this christmas (so far)
December 17, 2016
Where can i watch it? I can't find any cinema...
October 31, 2016
Thought this was the film where the old people got nuked.