Ethel & Ernest Reviews

• Aug 22, 2020

A truly lovely animated film, from the creator of The Snowman

A truly lovely animated film, from the creator of The Snowman

• Jan 02, 2019

Raymond Briggs touching story and legacy to his parents will resonate with many people of a certain age/generation as it speeds through the war and changing times of the 1930's through to the 1960's . Warm, emotional, dark and sometimes satirical but above all expunging huge honesty. Mr Briggs and all the supporting set really knows how to get the nation sobbing and onside especially at Christmas time. The political differences between Ernest and Ethel draw huge parallel's with Brexiteers and remainers all of whom could learn much from the warmth and love between Raymonds Mum and Dad. Brilliant.

• Jan 01, 2019

A beautifully made cartoon with more warmth a feeling than most live action films. Likeable characters brilliantly played by Blethyn and broadbent that you end up really caring about. Quite moving at times. This is highly recommend. And great family viewing as well.

• Nov 18, 2018

Raymond Briggs' tells the wonderfully uneventful tale of his beloved parents' sweet-tempered marriage through nostalgic storybook-style watercolour illustration. Not only are the textured backdrops and sharp patterned decals aesthetically pleasing, the careful colour schemes (especially of the backyard gardens and the gorgeous English countryside) and the incessantly rosy cheeks of all of the characters involved brings a constant air of warmth and intimacy every step of the way. This soft tribute is guaranteed to crack a smile or two and remind us of those in our own lives whom we care so much. [B] -- 73%

• Sep 02, 2018

Wonderful, truly wonderful. 'Ethel & Ernest' really took me by surprise with the amount of depth and emotion that it packs into the story of the title characters lives - the ups and downs, the good and the bad, the extraordinary and the ordinary. It really captures the spirit of the era they grew up in, as well as how people were back then, and it does it with deceptively simple but beautiful animation, a whole lot of grace and an unmistakably British spirit. It captures the lives of a simple, working class couple who weren't perfect, but who lived in incredible times and, throughout it all, maintained their love for life and for one another. Nostalgic and very affecting, it was clearly made with love and I'm not ashamed to say that it was more than once I had to swallow the lump in my throat. It really is an absolutely charming and absorbing film, even if it isn't as exciting (it really has that traditional, subtle feel to it) as what we've come to expect from modern-day animations.

• May 31, 2018

A nice line-drawn animation (thank goodness NO CGI!) of the ordinary life of the author's parents in extraordinary times, from their courting and marrying in the 20s, through World War II. It's a great perspective of what ordinary working-class Brits went through during the "Battle of Britain." Probably more meaningful for English viewers.

• Apr 21, 2018

wonderful charming animated story

wonderful charming animated story

• Mar 14, 2018

Preciosa película en la que el ilustrador Raymond Briggs nos cuenta la vida de sus padres, y parte de la suya. Una historia muy sencilla, muy bien puesta, muy bien animada y muy profunda.

• Mar 06, 2018

An amazing slice of history and the human spirit. At times one forgets they are watching animation and peering into the human soul. Happiness, sorrow, bonds and family have never been more POIGNANTLY presented. A real STUNNER!

• Luke E Super Reviewer
    Aug 13, 2017

This beautifully animated adaptation of Raymond Briggs' Graphic Novel is delightful and endearing from beginning to end. Following the lives of Briggs' parents from their first date in the 1920s, throughout the second world war whilst raising their son, until each of their deaths in the 1970s. The film captures the time periods accurately to the brim, it's almost like stepping back in time. While I've also never read the graphic novel, I not only thought the direction was as fine as ever for a traditional animation but I also thought the voice acting felt just as real as the characters delivered their very natural dialogue. Most of all however was the subject matter and contextual nature of the time periods the film captured within the eyes of these characters, It definitely made viewers question their own places in the 21st century. While it might have run short of a 'Best Animated Feature' Oscar or any other award from last year or coming close to this year, I seriously recommend seeing this film, if it ever were to get a wider release date, just for people to see Raymond Briggs' personal story of his family on screen in such colour and animation.