Everybody Knows (Todos lo saben) Reviews

• Oct 07, 2019

While the play of the actors is well, this latest of Farhadi suffers from massive tonal issues, in which the mystery itself is not quite as interesting as the filmmaker himself things he is presenting.

• Aug 26, 2019

The first half hour made me want to move to a small town in Spain and be Spanish. I think the restraint (more about relationships than a kidnapping thriller) actually helps.

• Jul 13, 2019

The director has already told the one who came and was loquacious so far. Messe's film hit her hand full in a simple, deep story. The film shines only in its repertoire without comparisons. Showing the daily life of family ills and the fragility of social futility where you have no where to hold on. Technically flawless with an exquisite cast. A well scripted storyline and an honest ending. More than an entertainment an excellent film not to be missed.

• May 18, 2019

The finale kills the movie. So, so open. Leaving so many things open, without emotion, a flat ending.

• May 17, 2019

I love Asghar Farhadi, and loved this movie as well.

I love Asghar Farhadi, and loved this movie as well.

• May 10, 2019

I 100% Prefer Feature Length Films, 100% American Made In The American English Language With An Average Running Time From 60 Minutes (1 Hour) To 195 Minutes (3 Hours).

• Apr 20, 2019

Was stressed during the whole movie! Kinda came with us!

Was stressed during the whole movie! Kinda came with us!

• Apr 07, 2019

A deeply humane mystery about a large family in Spain and the revelations they encounter when a teenager among them is kidnapped.

• Apr 06, 2019

What a lame movie! Good acting by some of the famous ones, and some nice images, but the story is so unreal (with an even worse ending), that it seems to be a cheap Latin telenovela (soap opera). According to the trailer I expected a suspense drama, but the only drama was that I had spend money and time to see this. While the Director of Photography was pretty good, the director himself screwed up a couple of times really badly. If you give this movie a miss, you'll miss pretty much nothing at all. 3/10 points

• Apr 04, 2019

Iranian writer-director, Asghar Farhadi's first film outside his country follows a similar template to his previous work (such as A Separation; The Salesman) where a family is confronted with a dilemma in which their relationships are tested. Set in Spain this time, Penelope Cruz's Laura comes back from Argentina with her two children for her sister's wedding. Here, she meets her old flame played by Javier Bardem who used to be one of the family servant's son and has since married someone else after her departure. The celebratory mood darkens as an incident threatens to bring up well buried secrets and memories. There is always a fair dose of melodrama in Farhadi's plotting and while it can be a bit clichà (C)d or causes eye-rolling but viewed as a narrative mechanism, it is no less effective as the dramatic catalyst that leads to the reassessment of everyone's lives and decisions. At over 2hrs long, it can feel a tad long but I was engrossed throughout and the way the story develops towards the final revelation is logical and convincing enough to be believable. Between the leads, Bardem has the more nuanced and showy performance but it's an ensemble piece that generally works well. Confidently and effortlessly directed and decently constructed, this is a sobering and absorbing piece of work with a very indie/European ending that some will find too ambiguous to be satisfying. However, I find it thought-provoking and distinctive and it feels true and justifiable. If you are a particular fan of abstract untidy endings, give this an extra  1/2 star but do the opposite and take  1/2 star off if you prefer seeing justice delivered on screen with a neat little bow on top.