Ex Machina Reviews

• 3d ago

CAUTION: My review will contain plot points and spoilers. Yet another sci-fi outing that starts with some potential, but literally follows every cliched plot point of the genre: A supposedly random contest winner at a huge search engine company receives the prize of a week at the secret estate of his companies founder. Slightly unhinged, alleged tech genius, billionaire? Check. Secluded, subterranean, ultra modern, automated home and experimental laboratory? Check. Reveal that the reclusive weirdo genius is secretly working on an AI project so advanced it will alter the course of civilization? Of course. Discover that the protagonist may not have won the contest randomly, but was hand picked for the situation? What do you think. The plot plods along slowly. We already know that the contest winner will develop emotional attachment to the female AI "robot" long before it happens. The expected head butting between diabolical whacko, and duped underling ensues. The crux of the plot is to answer the question: Has the AI actually developed independent, sentient thought, and how would it be confirmed? Was she programmed to like the guest, did she develop affection for him of her own free will, or is she playing him for an eventual bid for freedom. Honestly, by the time it wraps, I couldn't have cared less. This is a slick, stylish movie, the actors do great work, as does the cinematographer. Unfortunately the story is a dud, and it moves at a glacial pace. Not recommended.

• 5d ago

Alex Garland's Ex Machina shows viewers the ugly side of technological advancements during its two hour run time. We see main characters Caleb and Nathan delve deeper into the stress and trauma that comes when trying to perfect a groundbreaking advancement. Caleb falls in love and ultimately has his heart shattered, Nathan succumbs to his alcoholism and becomes a narcissist with a short fuse in the process. This movie is an amazing cinematic experience which will entertain all levels of movie lovers, from casual to professional critic. And at the end of it all, Mr. Garland leaves us with two thought provoking questions in "what does it mean to be human" and "am I human".

• Jul 07, 2020

A great watch, will watch again, and definitely recommend. This is such a mind stimulating movie, and without exhausting me as I feel sometimes: instead of forcing you to comprehend things, it allows you to explore flights of fancy and possibility. The casting is amazing, most of the movie is only Domhnall Gleeson (Star Wars: General Hux), Oscar Isaac (Star Wars: Poe Dameron), and most of all Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider). They all play really well off of one another, and Eva's execution had to just perfect. Given that Alicia is covered in green screen suit to allow for the amazing cg effects of Eva's body, Alicia had to make Eva's role as a machine believable for the audience, and for Caleb. This is also my biggest gripe, Eva wastes movement like a human would, it is designed to pretend to think, act, and move as if a human would: it's an infiltration unit. An A.I. doesn't need to take 3 steps and half-turn it's head to the human it's talking to: that's specifically done for a desired effect. Eva treats itself as lesser for the sake of the humans, which is realistic enough, but the result is something I don't feel is realistic, and when we actually create androids like this, they wont' take considerations like "looking directly at a human" when conversing without extreme training on the matter. Past that one thing, the premise, the execution, the dilemma of this is amazing, down to the last scene. The movie even directly addresses some of the controversy of the situations they're experiencing as it carries an odd, tech-involved philosophical edge. There is a lot of smart movie here, and some might be "cool", but I think most people are not going to be able to appreciate this properly.

• Jun 16, 2020

Slow but great premise. I've seen better plots in a Black Mirror episode though, so I'm not going to give this movie a fantastic rating. It was good, but honestly predictable for me.

• Jun 12, 2020

The most effective film villain in modern times. So effective, that this ran refer to multiple characters.

• Jun 11, 2020

#ExMachina #MovieReview: 9/10 Pros: Oscar Isaac steals the whole movie Great performances Very mild premise Well-crafted debut for the director Doesn't give all the answers Exposition is perfect and rare Funny in some parts Cons: Two blatant missteps throughout the film

• Jun 03, 2020

Very philosophical sci-fi flick about AI and its consequences. More about ideas than action, a real mind bender that will have you thinking about it long after the credits roll

• Jun 02, 2020

š’š®š¦š¦ššš«š²: š˜‰š˜­š˜¢š˜¤š˜¬ š˜”š˜Ŗš˜³š˜³š˜°š˜³ meets š˜žš˜¦š˜“š˜µš˜øš˜°š˜³š˜­š˜„, Ex Machina is filled with suspense and mystery. A seemingly insignificant computer programmer, Caleb, is selected to spend a week with his company's brilliant yet peculiar CEO, Nathan, at his recluse mansion deep in the woods. Upon arrival, Charlie learns that he has been chosen to be the facilitator of a "Turing Test," an experiment that attempts to diagnose a machine's ability to exhibit behavior that is indistinguishable from that of a human. Charlie spends the week questioning and communicating with the Artificially Intelligent being named Ava, a human-like creation whom Charlie becomes intimately fascinated with. As Ava begins to emotionally manipulate Charlie, he begins to suspect he may not have been chosen randomly at all. This is sci-fi film making at its best. The complicated triangle of relationships between the film's three characters is crafted beautifully and unfolds at the perfect pace. Suspenseful, charming, mysterious, and entrancing, this movie held my unwavering attention from start to finish. A perfect Netflix streaming option for a complex and interesting night of movie watching.

• May 30, 2020