Excalibur Reviews

• 3d ago

I think it could've been done better, like the pacing and some character depth, and I thought the ADR was sometimes distracting, but Excalibur is still an enjoyable watch due to its eye-catching visuals, set pieces, and cinematography and it tells its story well enough to be entertaining, making it one of the better film adaptations of the King Arthur story.

• Apr 11, 2021

Excalibur is one of the greatest films of all time. A retelling of the classic Arthurian legend with amazing names in acting. This film really condenses the legend in such a wonderful, entertaining and moving way. This movie has been a favorite of mine all my life and I always enjoy getting the chance to share it with people who have never experienced it.

• Jan 17, 2021

I Kept me pulled in the whole time. I'd watch this again

I Kept me pulled in the whole time. I'd watch this again

• Jan 09, 2021

A good flick that is easily one of the better films about King Arthur and the knights of the roundtable. As with many kids of the 80s, nostalgia rings true. And a lot of those films hold special places in our hearts even though they might not be very good. Excalibur is definitely aimed for adults but due to infinite repeats on HBO, they became a large part of the kids lives too. My one gripe with the movie has always been the overdubs, especially Arthur. Also, I never understood why EVERYONE IS YELLING!!!

• Sep 13, 2020

I saw it at the theater in 1981 and it blew me away. This film set us up for a decade of fantasy films that would never compare to this juggernaut of a film I have watched it occasionally over the last almost 4 decades and am still as awestruck as I was that first time!

• Sep 05, 2020

I don't even like sword and sorcery films, but this one is different. Everything about this movie is magnificent: the cast, the sets, the direction.

• Aug 21, 2020

The best take on the Legend of Arthur i have ever seen.All star cast,perfect settings and an ability to bring you into the mood of the movie.A timeless classic that will be popular for decades to come.

• Jul 01, 2020

I remember going to see this during its initial run-1981. It seemed on the melodramatic side and I thought at the time "something's going on I can't grasp". 19 years later, I see it: lot's of homoerotic scenes like the naked man/monster, the naked Arthur, the many, many male costumes with tunics falling just so that pretty much everything packed beneath is on parade, on purpose. This reminds me so much of those Italian Hercules-He-man films, or those Italian shoot-em-ups, loaded full of 'buckle shots'. But, this is an epic, a fantasy, a pre-CGI film full of great effects. It's good, and at least I can see that odd element, so obvious today. FANTASTIC cast, but all-in-all too violent for me.

• Jun 23, 2020

Laborious, contrived and overly-ambitious.

Laborious, contrived and overly-ambitious.

• Jun 14, 2020

Well acted and visually stunning, Excalibur is a good retelling of the King Arthur myth. It was also alot of fun to see Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson and Helen Mirren in their younger days.