The Exorcist III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exorcist III Reviews

January 15, 2017
Well acted by Mr. Scot and well directed by Blatty
December 29, 2016
This forgotten gem deserves a better reputation. It's tense and creates a dread filled atmosphere that lasts the entire running time. Scott is great as always, Miller makes a tortured (as usual), unexpected return, and Dourif is absolutely terrifying as The Gemini Killer. This is one of the best horror sequels and stands as a worthy continuation of one of the all time greats.
½ November 23, 2016
The Exorcist III (or Exorcist III: Legion as it was originally titled before release) might be a bit of miracle. There are five films in the Exorcist series (including the two nearly identical prequels), as well as countless ripoffs, but the only film that ever managed to come close as a contender with the original would be this one. At least for me personally, I've never found the original Exorcist to be all that frightening, even as a child. This film, however, is unsettling as hell. It's not a perfect film, but we can still admire this slick, insane, and effective horror film.
½ November 17, 2016
It is difficult for any horror film to live up to "the Exorcist," and a sequel bearing it's name is boy d to struggle to live up to that top notch 1973 film. Unlike the 1977 sequel "Exorcist II: The Heretic," this 1990 follow-up feels far more in line with the original film. It still isn't as great as that original, but it is well made, weird in it's own ways, and works. A big prt if what makes it work is that it was written and directed by the original film's screenwriter, and author of the original book and it's sequel "Legion" upon which this is based ("Exorcist III" being foisted upon the film by the studio), and it feels less like a cash grab made by weirdos, and more like a project Blatty just really wanted to make...and it has a cast lead by George C. Scott, so what is not to like? Well made and interesting...not great, but interesting.
½ November 4, 2016
Kind of a paranormal silence of the lambs feel on this one.
October 24, 2016
The Exorcist III isn't nearly as brilliant as the first movie, but compare it to the sequel, it's a masterpiece. This is what I call sluggish film that you'll need a lot of patience to get to the good stuff. Well, the whole movie is kind of like that. Every time I think something is going to progress with the story it jumps right back. Luckily it doesn't do that too often and it's only for build up (i guess).

But it's not to say that "The Exorcist III" doesn't have it's scary parts, because it really dose. There's moments that are so eerie and quite shocking that the movie quickly cuts away to next scene so you don't even have a reaction or a thought of what you just seen. The movie takes a few minutes of silence as the scene plays on and then BOOM! And this actually did get to me. A great example of this is the Nurse scene which is one of the scariest scenes in movie history. During the scene you really don't get a sense of damage, but more of a safe feeling as every thing seems to be alright, until the horror kicks in. And I know that sounds very similar to every horror movie that use it's scars, but I think those movies get it completely wrong of how to make the build up and the scare executed in a way that it's effective. I think this is something that's missing in horror today.

Brad Douriff is in this movie playing The Gemini killer and he's freaking amazing. This is one of the best performances I've seen from Douriff and it just proves of how talented this guy truly is. I would go as far to say it's Oscar worthy and he isn't in the movie that much. He's so creepy and frightening that he steals the show.

But the actor that I thought was going to steal the show was George C. Scott, which is sadly not the case. He's a great actor and he was excellent in "Patton", but I found he's performance in this to be a bit over the top. I mean, I don't think he was RAZZIE worthy bad or anything, but he over reacted in the wrong parts. It came off a bit laughable. It's until the very end when he gets to shine as he's really giving it he's all. I give him that.

The interesting thing I found out about the movie (after i finished watching it) was that the author of the book William Peter Blatty wrote & directed this. You know when you hear people complaint that when a movie adaptation isn't as accurate to the novel it's based on. Well, it's kinda refreshing (to me) for an author to make the movie that he wanted to see. And I can say that he exceed in a few parts even if the whole thing feels a bit disjointed, and that goes to the writing.

Overall rating: "The Exorcist III" while not great, but at least gets back to it's roots of having a dark and unsettling atmosphere, something that was missing in "Exorcist II". The movie is honestly worth watching just for Brad Douriff performance.
October 18, 2016
Good old horror movies from the 90s
October 11, 2016
Good stuff. few actors beyond Scott could have carried the film's dark, depressing and methodical rising action. The plot is a stretch and quite far fetched, but strangely enticing. Hang in there, it gets fun!
September 9, 2016
This movie should've never been titled "Exorcist III". "Exorcist II" kinda ruined the franchise & III doesn't really have much to do with the first two, nor does it need to. I think it would've done better at the box office as a stand alone. The acting really helped out on okay story. Some of the effects were a little silly but forgivable.
August 9, 2016
A surprisingly competent sequel with some memorable creep and cringeworthy moments.
July 13, 2016
The Exorcist III: Legion is a huge improvement over The Heretic! I was so surprised to see how good this movie actually is. The story is set 15 years after the incidents in the first Exorcist movie and we follow Father Dyer and lieutenant Kinderman. We find out that during the first movie's story, there was also a killer called Gemini killer working the streets and he killed all his victims in the same way, now 15 years later, people end up dead in the same way they did 15 years ago which leads Kinderman to believe that the Gemini killer isn't dead. I won't spoil anything more as this movie has quite a lot to offer. First of all, this movie is actually creepy and disturbing at times, unlike the godawful The Heretic. Secondly, it's interesting and intense. Last, but certainly not the least, it's good. It's an actually good sequel to a brilliant movie. I did not expect this movie to be good after having seen The Heretic, but I'm glad I was wrong. The director of the movie is William Peter Blatty, who is also the person who wrote the book The Exorcist and the script for the first movie, which is also a clue that this movie is not bad. I loved everything about how this movie looked, the visual style was awesome! The acting was great, except at times where Kinderman was shouting, it sounded way too fake and it actually cracked me up. What I loved the most about this movie was that, besides being a horror movie, it was also a mystery/thriller movie with an actual murder case that was entertaining to figure out. There are a few things with the movie that I don't completely understand, but it's way more comprehensible than The Heretic. There are a lot of disturbing and creepy scenes, my favourites are when you see someone confessing their sins, we never get to see who it is, and it starts out normal, but then it gets extreme and you're just sitting there thinking "Holy crap, that got me" and the famous hospital hallway scene which I had seen before online, but it was just as scary even though I knew what would happen. All in all, a very good horror/mystery movie with great creepy moments, remarkable camera work and a story that's interesting and intense, albeit a bit far-fetched. I would highly recommend seeing this movie after having seen The Exorcist, forget that The Heretic even exists.
July 1, 2016
This would have been a really great homage to film noirs, but there had to be a tenuous possession tie-in in the third act. This really never should have been part of the series, as it would have worked much better as a pure mystery.
February 19, 2016
I actually love this one. Very underrated movie.
January 30, 2016
Underrated and probably the best of the trilogy. This movie has, hands-down, some of the most effective and memorable horror sequences ever committed to film. Like the original film it's pretty nasty considering how seriously it takes itself, but at least the storyline is certainly more engaging.
½ January 8, 2016
Wasn't that bad. When it comes to horror films normally the first one is always the best and than normally the rest fail but this one was pretty good and considering the exorcist 2 failed miserably they did well. It wasn't like a normal horror film at all. Only one false scare and it was like a cop movie actually, besides the demon parts. But you had to pay good attention and it was kind of rushed at first.
½ November 28, 2015
Absolutely an unfinished product, but what is in there is quite riveting and it is enough to create a beautifully and darkly atmospheric if wildly uneven film.

Studios: 20th Century Fox/Warner Bros.
September 23, 2015
Better than the second part.
½ September 1, 2015
The Exorcist III (or 'Legion') though not a great film, this is a paced and interesting sequel told directly from the writer of the first. Though the dialogue is heavy and very...novel writer-esque, it can be charming at times and chilling. George C. Scott gives a lot to his role (yet another undeserved Razzie nomination) but the real stand outs are Jason Miller and Brad Douriff, who give a dynamic and terrifying performance as the possessed Father Damian/Patient X/The Damian Killer without managing to out perform the other. A small, but worthy successor to the original thanks to Blatty.
½ August 22, 2015
A very scary opening that's let down by a dull second half. The atmosphere in this film is perfect, with each killing seeming like an affront against God rather than an exercise in creative gore. The scariest scene doesn't even have one drop of blood. Oddly for a film directed by a novelist the best bits are the scenes that have no dialogue as there is some decidedly creative and unsettling blocking. But eventually the film succumbs to the dialogue and the unfortunate fact that George C. Scott is never given anything to do in the lead role. Brad Douriff on the other hand gives one of my favorite performances as the dead Gemini killer. What a creepy mofo.
August 9, 2015
As unnecessary as a sequel (let alone a second sequel) to The Exorcist might be, Part III stands as a surprisingly and effectively frightening thriller on its own.