Fantastic Planet Reviews

• Matthew Samuel M Super Reviewer
    4d ago

Strange and dreamlike, Fantastic Planet is a quiet dystopian vision that feels dated but is nonetheless intriguing and at times disturbing.

• Apr 14, 2019

Terrifying and yet poetic "Fantastic World" is way more credible than many religions out there, and it teaches us a lesson that many religions out there teach us, and it does so in just over an hour. So doesn't really matter what is your belief or if like me you have none, you should watch this Dalinian fable and enjoy every creative detail.

• May 20, 2018

If I were putting together a Cartoon Movie Top 10, this would make the cut. It's whimsical and weird. Surreal, yet coherent. It evokes a truly alien existence. Unfortunately the underdog 'how would you like it!' trope is in full force in this film which sees humans enslaved by a more powerful species. Trust me, it's been done to death. Christ, that sort of on-the-nose topsy turvy 'what if' fantasy goes back to Gulliver's Travels and was already a dead horse lain for the beating when Fritz made Metropolis. It really reeks of the sort of shallow thinking agenda pushing which was quintessential of Marxist Eurotrash all through the 60's and into the late 80's. Alas this film is pure 70's. The good weird 70's which is still good and weird now and the anachronisms and cliches which polluted that decade's art. Yeah, yeah, the film's as thought-provoking as a lava lamp but in terms of pure charm, innovation and artistry, I would have given it 5 stars.

• Aug 13, 2017

Surreal and creatively F A N T A S T I C. René Laloux, 1973 Animated sci-fi.

Surreal and creatively F A N T A S T I C. René Laloux, 1973 Animated sci-fi.

• Jun 09, 2017

Unique animated French film about a planet where two separate alien species (One exploitative of the other miniature human-like race) learn to somehow co-exist. Surrelist and idiosyncratic with wonderfully trippy animation, La Planete Sauvage is an intelligent, philosophical experience that presents a universal perspective on the folly of the human race.

• Apr 26, 2017

Fantastic Planet is very good. Very unique and cute movie that anyone would like

• Apr 18, 2017

Not as revelatory in the art or story as one would hope, but if you want a strange way to spend an hour it's not a bad choice.

• Apr 14, 2017

It's Terry Gilliam's animation style married with an acid trip. Truly surreal, engrossing, and worthy of it's Cannes film festival prize.

• Feb 09, 2017

Known futuristic animation with a surreal and creative story, looks and presentation. The animation production started in Prague but was moved to Paris shortly after. Done in French - the language I used too. Not sure if a dubbed version would have lifted it or not. Blue giants, known as "Draags" are ruling a planet and they take some human-ish creatures, known as "Oms" as slaves or pets or something. The Oms tries to get their freedom and there is a war going on between the two species. Who will win? This film is all about letting your mind go and observe and digest the images. It's beautifully crafted. Great drawings, sweet creatures and imaginative like drugs where a must at the production and the result is an actual drug itself. For me the best part of the film was still the soundtrack done by Alain Goraguer. Trippy, soulful jazz - almost like triphop at times. Songs from this film has been sampled by loads of artists and it's easy to see (hear) why. The combination of dope music and extraordinary, sci-fi animation is superb - but even if the story is good too, I wanted even more. I missed some character development or some feelings towards a few characters. I felt like an observer, observing an entire society. It's all right, but it feels like I missed out on many details that way and my attention fell at times. Still I would not have the lenght expanded. 70 minutes felt about right. I'm sure there is plenty of symbolism and metaphores here, but I don't get half of it. Fascinating, trippy, memorable and psychedelic film that's both disturbing and touching. 8 out of 10 rain cloud producing gadgets.

• Feb 04, 2017