Fargo Reviews

• Aug 14, 2019

It's entertaining in a dark gruesome way. It's the 3rd best of the Coen's career.

• Aug 14, 2019

Is it an interesting premise? Yes. Is it executed effectively? Somewhat. Do we truly give a shit about the characters? No.

• Aug 03, 2019

The accents are so heavy, they're funny. I love how nonchalant the cops are and how easy going everything is. This movie is hilarious in the most unexpected ways. I love it. Very funny, dark and quirky film. Yeah? Oh yeah. I'd watch again.

• Jul 31, 2019

Tv-series are much better,but it's good too

Tv-series are much better,but it's good too

• Jul 12, 2019

Check the wood chipper.

Check the wood chipper.

• Jul 02, 2019

An original crime story with violence and dark comedy, one of the greatest crime films ever.

• Jul 01, 2019

Frances McDormand and Steve Buscemi give great and memorable performances in this darkly humorous crime story. The Coens definitely found a way to make a memorable movie in a familiar genre.

• Jun 19, 2019

I was very underwhelmed by this film as I had expected to see a classic that made me laugh and feel slightly disturbed at once but instead what I got was a mildly amusing film that was too slight to have real impact. The ‘dark humor' of the film was either so subtle that it was lost on me when it wasn't hitting me over the head or it just made occasional appearances that didn't leave me giggling but occasionally elicited a half smile from me. Part of the problem might be that I have never really connected with the work of the Coen brothers as I don't think that A Serious Man (2009) or No Country for Old Men (2007) are masterpieces and their humor often irritates more than amuses me. Considering the fact that this is seen as one of their best films I did have higher expectations however and even my parents, tough critics, liked this film so I assumed it would be brilliant, it really was not. Jerry Lundegaard, William H. Macy, decides to organize the kidnapping of his wife in order to extort his wealthy father in law and solve his financial problems. His plan quickly spirals out of control as the kidnappers he hires, Carl, Steve Buscemi, and Gaear, Peter Stormare, accidentally shoot a police officer and his father in law complicates the exchange of the money. Investigating the case is well-meaning police officer Marge Gunderson, Frances McDormand, who uses her sensible nature to solve a difficult case and in the end even Lundegaard receives his comeuppance. The plot was vaguely entertaining as a farcical series of events in which people's lives became more and more complicated as the stress piled on. The plot wasn't enough to keep me engaged though as I suffered through long scenes of Gunderson going on what was meant to be a funny awkward date with an ex-classmate who lies to her face. The humor sometimes felt like it was getting in the way of what could have been an interesting plot as we cut from interesting scenes of the kidnappers shooting a police officer to Marge and her husband having lunch and speaking in the annoying over the top dialect that the Coens fetishize. I wish that they had settled on a tone or chosen to fully go one way or another because as the film is it's an unsatisfying experience. The screenplay frustrated me because it's laugh lines felt so self congratulatory and the moments at which we get darker elements felt so contrived. I don't like how they write because so often you end up spending time with characters who have one joke to them that Coens play out over and over again until you just want the film to end. For example, in this film every character says "You, betcha!" at one point and although it was initially a fun little quirk I quickly became tired of hearing it and wanted to see something new on screen despite the film's short length. A movie like this should not feel tiring but the Coens as both writers and directors do not have a handle what film they are really trying to make. There may be a great film buried in here but the Coens don't have the ability to draw it out and at this point I doubt they ever will. As for McDormand's performance I dispute the idea that she is a leading actress because I felt that she was a supporting character when compared to Lundegaard. I don't think she earned her Academy Award, especially when considering the fact that Emily Watson and Brenda Blethyn were nominated in the same year. She is funny enough and brings a certain warmth and strength to the part but she is not enough to save the film from itself and is clearly being pushed to give a broader performance than is necessary. For a film that was called one of the greatest of all time I found very little to appreciate and I don't think that modern viewers will either. This is one of those where I truly cannot understand where all the hype comes from and I don't think I will ever watch this film again.

• Jun 17, 2019

cult classic ... must see

cult classic ... must see

• Jun 15, 2019

actually not bad; was it a crime thriller? was it a comedy? i have no idea. but it was certainly an interesting depiction, having spent the majority of my life in Minnesota - i've never seen someone so bad at scraping ice off their windshield as Jerry, haha.