• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Ferris Bueller's Day Off Reviews

Matthew Samuel M

July 26, 2012
Though it sinks to teen-film cliches at times, the film is undeniably iconic and memorable, and, at times, strangely brilliant and haunting (the museum scene being the best example of this).
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
John Hughes struck gold once again with this sharp romp about the ultimate day of school skipping.

Ferris Bueller is a high school legend. You know the cliche: every guy wants to be his pal, and every girl wants to be his gal. He has a knack for doing whatever he wants and getting away with it. He's cut class several times before, but, with graduation getting near, he decides to skip one final time, making it the most epic adventure yet.

Feigning sickness, he ropes his best friend Cameron (down and out worry wort) and girlfriend Sloan into the mix as they set off for the Chicago streets in Cameron's dad's prized vintage Ferrari. Hot on Bueller's trail is his principal Ed Rooney who is dead set on bringing Ferris down. Then there's Jeanie- Ferris's bitter tattletale sister who is sick of his crap and also aims to bring her little brother to justice.

The basic set up is pretty simple, but the end results are so much more. This film delivers tons of slapstick, satire, social commentary, and all kinds of wacky hi-jinks. It doesn't seem like all these separate things could gel that well, but that's the genius of Hughes's writing.

This film made Matthew Broderick's career, and, unfortunately its also basically the peak of it. He's done other stuff, but never has he been better. You just really root for this guy, even though he's so friggin' entitled. That's just how likeable he is. The real heart of the film though, probably belongs to Alan Ruck as Cameron. He's a sad sack, but being with Ferris is pretty much life affirming for him. Sloan isn't as interesting of a character, but Mia Sara is a real cutie and hard not to like. Jeffrey Jones is slimy, smarmy, and brilliant as Rooney, and this is some of his best work. As Jeanie, Jennifer Grey is also quite strong, and she's a character you really come to side with too.

Again, that's the genius of Hughes. Some of the characters are pretty thin, but then he gives you a few that are really developed, and you come to care about them greatly, even if some are "protagonists" or "antagonists". I use quotes because there's a gray area with everyone, and none of the characters (that are highly developed) are purely good or bad.

There's tons of great quotes, all kinds of memorable moments, and a nice mix of light and darker material. So, given that combination, you should definitely see this if you haven't gotten around to it yet.
Kase V

February 13, 2012
Forever considered a classic in my mind, John Hughes's "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is a brilliantly written and executed satire/slapstick comedy. The characters are well developed and easy to love, the acting is great, and who could forget such memorable scenes as the random dance number in the middle of Chicago? Or Charlie Sheen when he made cool look effortless? Or Alan Ruck falling in the pool, bashing a Ferrari, or staring at a painting? As an adolescent myself, it all makes for a memorable movie experience, one that makes everyone want to be a 'Ferris Bueller'. I know I do.
Scott G

October 29, 2011
Clever, sophisticated, yet inadvertently outrageously hilarious, it was made to entertain and it did just that, if I wasn't in stitches, I was immersed into the holy guide I have been given.
familiar s

January 9, 2009
"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is an out & out no-brainer (what could have pleased me more!!!). All it aims at, for most of the part, is making you laugh, no matter how idiotic, illogical and unrealistic the content might seem. More or less, it did work out for me. I wish that the principal's role was better written. Besides. I was expecting a better ending which I'd pictured in my mind before it's finally unveiled. Anyways, it's a good comedy and worth a shot if you're looking for a move that has moments that would make you burst into laughter..... but wherein you need to put a brake on your brain. Enjoy and have fun.
Lewis C

March 3, 2008
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is another one of those 80's movies that I should have seen a long time ago, and that I'm glad that I finally got to watch. Funny, heartwarming, and with a message or two that teenage kids can relate to,,,yep, that sounds like a John Hughes movie.

My only real complaint was that it took the movie a while to get interesting, but before long I was totally into the memorable characters and what was happening. Good stuff.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 1, 2011
Ferris Bueller is one of the funniest, coolest, and best comedies of all time, and is probably my favorite film by john Hughes and is one of the best cult classics of all time. The story is awesome, every kid wants to be Ferris Bueller, the cool, laid back, and fun guy who gets away with everything, and who spends the best day of his life with is best friend and girlfriend. Mathew Broderick plays his most famous and life changing role to date, and I can remember his performance til the day I die. This movie is so fun and great that I cannot imgaine what the world will be like with Ferris Bueller without Ferrios Bueller taking his day off, and I love this movie.
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 27, 2008
This movie is great, you'll die laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Matthew Broderick is so funny! (:
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 30, 2011
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of those essential Teen comedies that really anyone can relate to. That's the beauty about John Hughes. His films have no specific demographic and they're films that anyone, of any age of either Sex can relate to. I never watched Ferries Bueller before, and I had heard some good things about it, and I finally decided to give this one a shot. Now, I never really was a fan of Matthew Broderick, and I was apprehensive about watching this, but all that went out the door once I started the film. This was made back when Broderick was talented, and had a great career. This was back before the dreadful Inspector Gadget film and boring Godzilla remake. Ferris Bueller is simply a fun film that has plenty of memorable moments, that I won't reveal in this review, so as not to spoil this film experience for you. The cast do a fine job, and Broderick is terrific in his role, along with the chemistry hew has with co stars Alan Ruck and Mia Sara, the performances between these three actors are what keeps the film moving along, always entertaining, and above all, always fun. The film has some very funny moments, and John Hughes delivers a solid comedy film that anyone can relate to. A terrific film that has become a classic of teen comedies. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of the all time great teen comedies, and the fact that John Hughes shows respect for teens, just goes to show that he understood the hardships of growing up, and this film provides that escape that every teen wishes could happen to them. Hughes was a terrific filmmaker and this film along with The Breakfast Club is easily some of the best Teen oriented films that have graced the genre. Anyone can relate to this film no matter your age. That was the genius of John Hughes, making films anyone can enjoy.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

August 25, 2011
This movie does not stereotypically fall into my radar of rhetoric but it was an old fave of my parents so I was subjected to it on many occasions. I want to stab Mia Sara almost every time she appears on the screen, but Ferris and Cameron make likely and original characters that offer something slightly more entertaining than most teenage duos in movies of this sort. One major flaw - bunking from school is nowhere NEAR as hard as these kids make it look.
murphmann93

July 30, 2007
Great, great, great fun.
Jennifer X

May 26, 2007
"Anyone? anyone? Bueller?" has been so ingrained into the public jargon it's become a cliche, but that doesn't minimize the absolute delight this movie is. This is escapism and teen bias to the max, but as long as we are aware of bias this movie will never be considered antiauthoritarian. It's just FUN. Plus, Matthew Broderick used to be so sexy. What happened? I blame Sarah Jessica Parker. Mia Sara as Sloane is gorgeous, why couldn't they have ended up together in real life?
erika250
erika250

January 23, 2011
one of the best films from the 80's It was all around good
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I love this movie so much! I know all the lines and everything! This is an hilarious, fun, fantastic movie with an awesome cast and great story. Ferris is literally the coolest guy of the 80s. If you haven't seen this movie, please go rent it!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 9, 2007
an absolute 80's classic, but at the same time easily one of the most overrated films ever. dont get me wrong, its very good. but i am always dumbfounded at the amount of people i meet that say this is one of their 10 favorite films ever. its just a really good 80's portrayal of the cool high school kid that everyone wants to be, but its no masterpiece.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
The first time I ever saw this movie, I rented it, then watched it four times in a row.